Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

Great game defensively. Just wish he had some amount of ball progression and/or passing. Just feel we invite a fair amount of pressure when we play him against the better teams. 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Maybe he should have played more games. Hes been fantastic the last two games 

I was just going to ask . . . what's our record when he's started? Feels like we often get good results when he starts.

Amazing what a decent defensive midfielder  can bring to us . Is Nakamba the long term answer? I'm not to sure but I will say his distribution  has improved vastly over the last season so it maybe he can be that player for us. 

Last 2 games are exactly what he should be used for, he has a role here definitley just need to have the confidence to use him

In games where we think we'll have 60% possession fair enough but there's more than a few where we have 40% and that's his game 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Love Luiz but Nakamba is 10 times better as a DM

You can dress it up all you want but defensive midfield is about winning the ball and protecting the defence. Nakamba does that.

I think there's more to it than that, it's also about being about to receive the ball off the defence and pivot, Nakamba isn't great at it

Deano needs to use both of them in different circumstances 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I was just going to ask . . . what's our record when he's started? Feels like we often get good results when he starts.

You made me curious. I believe these are all his starts this season.

Burnley 0-0 90 minutes

Newcastle 2-0 90 minutes 

Arsenal 1-0 90 minutes

Leeds 1-0 90 minutes 

Sheff Utd 0-1 68 minutes 

Liverpool 1-2 66 minutes 

Man City 1-2 63 minutes 

Spurs 2-1 89 minutes 

Chelsea 2-1 90 minutes 

5 wins, 1 draw, 3 defeats. Villa were drawing against Liverpool when he was taken off if that is of any consideration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

You made me curious. I believe these are all his starts this season.

Burnley 0-0 90 minutes

Newcastle 2-0 90 minutes 

Arsenal 1-0 90 minutes

Leeds 1-0 90 minutes 

Sheff Utd 0-1 68 minutes 

Liverpool 1-2 66 minutes 

Man City 1-2 63 minutes 

Spurs 2-1 89 minutes 

Chelsea 2-1 90 minutes 

5 wins, 1 draw, 3 defeats. Villa were drawing against Liverpool when he was taken off if that is of any consideration.

All this shows me is a top class defensive midfielder is an absolute priority in the summer. Basically, a Nakamba type but comfortable with the ball at his feet. 

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

All this shows me is a top class defensive midfielder is an absolute priority in the summer. Basically, a Nakamba type but comfortable with the ball at his feet. 

Not too many of those around. Not even the top teams in our leagues have one. Ndidi at Leicester is the only one I can think of.

Wow what a game, been critical of Nakamba this year, but he was bloody everywhere, what a machine. If he could just improve on his passing and maybe have confidence in the ball a little then he'd be the complete package, but if hmnot then he's still does a tremendous job defending for the team.

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not too many of those around. Not even the top teams in our leagues have one. Ndidi at Leicester is the only one I can think of.

Pretty much ALL the top teams have at least one which can do the role.

At minimum have solid CM's who can play that role effectively, so that is a bit of a myth IMO

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Rice, Phillips and Kante aren’t bad..

We'd be paying minimum £50m for them. Dont even want to guess what the former PFA POTY would go for.

Also Phillips is more of a Luiz type player. Rice also can't pass for shit. I'd rather stick with Marv than pay whatever outrageous English premium he'd go for (not that he'd come).

A DM that is fierce in the tackle and can play the ball well is very rare indeed. Kante and (ironically his replacement) Ndidi are the only ones who can do both to a high standard. It's hard to tell with Phillips because Bielsa ball exposes him too much.

Most other teams either have a Marv type player or (increasingly) a Luiz type player. Or if you're like us you have both and I hope one or the other isn't a guaranteed starter like Luiz was this season and we use either one or both depending on our opponents.

Â