Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

27 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

was immense today, he isnt a pretty player, but he is effective.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I take great pleasure from watching destroyers go about their work. 

• Like 1

I don't think he's out of his depth but I don't think he's a good enough player to be a regular starter if we want to get to the upper echelons of the premier league.

But he's been absolutely fine as a squad member for the last two seasons. And he was excellent yesterday. The breaking up of play part of his game is really very good. He's just not good enough on the ball to be a top player, imo.

I do think he is still improving though so he may well make another step next season

• Like 2

If he stays no chance we sign another midfielder.

Would mean him, Luiz,Sanson,McGinn, Ramsey and potentially Carney battling it out for two spots next season if Jack plays more as the number 10 which seems the plan from the club e.g. we don't need to replace Barkley, just shift Jack back inside and sign a couple more wide players.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQOf7kkNrGx/?utm_medium=copy_link

I'm glad we have such good guys like marv at the club. We've had our fair share of rotten eggs over the years...Nice that those days appear to be behind us

Are we sure that the dude isn't a dictator? He rose to power through a coup D'etat (although it was against mugabe) and the election results in 2018 were disputed. 

I get nakamba pledging to help improve the lives of Zimbabweans but if he is actually a dictator I'd prefer if our players didn't cosy up to them.

Someone more informed on this topic than I should judge whether he is a dictator. Just it's a potential worry and could be a bad look for the club. 

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Are we sure that the dude isn't a dictator? He rose to power through a coup D'etat (although it was against mugabe) and the election results in 2018 were disputed. 

I get nakamba pledging to help improve the lives of Zimbabweans but if he is actually a dictator I'd prefer if our players didn't cosy up to them.

Someone more informed on this topic than I should judge whether he is a dictator. Just it's a potential worry and could be a bad look for the club. 

Bad Guy 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41995876.amp

But, feels as though Zimbabwe had a choice between a bad guy or a bad guy. And this was the more popular one and his sacking caused an uprising.

Tough one, because I do agree with you in sort but also not for us to get involved in their politics. Marvelous wanted to do some good and probably had to get approval or can do more good with support of the President. Tough to argue against it from afar.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

to be honest i only really took in the bit about the Marvelous Nakamba Foundation

but fair point...the president definitely seems to have some baggage, but there have been worse is about the jist of what i read.

• 3 weeks later...

Can one of the stats guru's on here post Nakamba's stats from the past season please?

I am assuming he's going to be in the top 5% of DM's for defensive work and bottom 5% for offensive work :P but very interested to see. 

3 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Can one of the stats guru's on here post Nakamba's stats from the past season please?

I am assuming he's going to be in the top 5% of DM's for defensive work and bottom 5% for offensive work :P but very interested to see. 

Posted it in the transfer thread to compare him & Doug with Boubacar Kamara (who I hope we sign).

You’re not far off at all 😂 

Quite amusing:

spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Posted it in the transfer thread to compare him & Doug with Boubacar Kamara (who I hope we sign).

Quite amusing:

spacer.png

God I love Marv 🤣

Typifies how it is so hard to find the complete DM. If his passing stats were even 30% as good as his defensive capability he'd be a £50m DM. 

Still think he has a role to play as he is so good to shove in front of the back 4 to break up the Chelsea, City and Utd's who would have the lions share of possession against us. Just needs someone next to him who he can drop the ball to with as short-a-pass as possible!!

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

God I love Marv 🤣

Typifies how it is so hard to find the complete DM. If his passing stats were even 30% as good as his defensive capability he'd be a £50m DM. 

Still think he has a role to play as he is so good to shove in front of the back 4 to break up the Chelsea, City and Utd's who would have the lions share of possession against us. Just needs someone next to him who he can drop the ball to with as short-a-pass as possible!!

He’s a useful member of a squad but I think more suited to a lower end team. He’s too limited but has a good personality and work ethic. Will chase and harry, get the tackles in but not much more than that.

His passing success is only high because it is as simple and limited as can be.

A quality DM for a top end team needs a lot more. He’s also small and lightweight, which goes against him and he doesn’t have the energy or quality of a Kante type.

We need someone who can be a screen for the defence but also help control possession and help us dictate play. So you need someone who can progress the ball a bit too and be dominant and assertive…

8 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Quite amusing:

spacer.png

Do they do an equivalent stats view of successful tackle %, successful block % etc...

All those stats per 90 are skewed by how much pressure a team is under. Marv played games we were generally under pressure for most of, so his defensive stats are likely to be much higher per 90 than anyone else in the league, let alone at Villa.

46 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Do they do an equivalent stats view of successful tackle %, successful block % etc...

All those stats per 90 are skewed by how much pressure a team is under. Marv played games we were generally under pressure for most of, so his defensive stats are likely to be much higher per 90 than anyone else in the league, let alone at Villa.

You can view more stats by clicking the link on the player page, more detailed breakdown.

Â