Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

He looked great with the interceptions. He read the play really well...he often seemed to be on the move before the opportunity was really obvious. 

He did then lose the ball once or twice, but if he can just stick to simpler passes he has a lot to offer. I was impressed (admittedly I couldn't concentrate on the game 100% so I might have missed something).

i thought he was exactly what we all know he is, he's ok. nothing more nothing less, will make a few dodgy passes, will make a few great blocks and tackles and get a 6 or 7 out of 10 every game

he needs updating for us to move forward but at the same time he should have played more football for us over the last 3 years

• Like 4

He's a player who is really needed for our system and plays well in it. He's not great on the ball but he's never really had a run of games to get more comfortable with it. I really think he should be staying with us next season. He does a job and you know you can bring him on in a game and he will give us that energy and defensive edge. 

After being out for five months, to suddenly start against Liverpool can't be easy and I thought he did well. Classic Nakamba performance, lots of energy and broke up their attacks a number of times but also gifted them the ball once or twice. Nakamba and Luiz starting together has usually been good for us but it also demonstrates how much we could use an even better DM -- a destroyer who is also confident in possession.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rolta said:

He looked great with the interceptions. He read the play really well...he often seemed to be on the move before the opportunity was really obvious. 

He did then lose the ball once or twice, but if he can just stick to simpler passes he has a lot to offer. I was impressed (admittedly I couldn't concentrate on the game 100% so I might have missed something).

This is it, really. He was nervous today as it was his first game back, so he reverted to the 'panic on the ball' Marv - looked to get rid of it as soon as any pass went to him. He'd improved on this before the injury, so I'm putting it down to jitters. 

As you said, he read the game very well, as usual. There's no doubt that he's a smart defender and has quality in that department. 

I do think that we'll be looking to improve on him, though, with a player who's just a bit more comfortable and composed in possession. 

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

This is it, really. He was nervous today as it was his first game back, so he reverted to the 'panic on the ball' Marv - looked to get rid of it as soon as any pass went to him. He'd improved on this before the injury, so I'm putting it down to jitters. 

As you said, he read the game very well, as usual. There's no doubt that he's a smart defender and has quality in that department. 

I do think that we'll be looking to improve on him, though, with a player who's just a bit more comfortable and composed in possession. 

I thought he was good at breaking up play and winning the ball back.  But as soon as he done that he suddenly didn't look comfortable with the ball, and either was tackled or misplaced a simple pass. If he had the passing ability of Luiz he'd be perfect.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I thought he was good at breaking up play and winning the ball back.  But as soon as he done that he suddenly didn't look comfortable with the ball, and either was tackled or misplaced a simple pass. If he had the passing ability of Luiz he'd be perfect.

The issue we have is what we do with him now tbh. Assuming we sign a new CDM, he'd definitely be good enough to keep as a backup if we didn't have Iroegbunam coming through. 3 players for one spot seems excessive. Might make sense to give Tim a loan next season to a championship outfit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The issue we have is what we do with him now tbh. Assuming we sign a new CDM, he'd definitely be good enough to keep as a backup if we didn't have Iroegbunam coming through. 3 players for one spot seems excessive. Might make sense to give Tim a loan next season to a championship outfit.

I think there's no chance at all that Iroegbunam isn't going out on loan. We're not going to make him the only understudy to a new DM with one PL start (against Norwich) under his belt. 

• Like 1

His performance yesterday just underlines how important a DM is and that it's the most important signing we'll make this summer. Nakamba is a useful squad player but isn't a top ten premier League starter 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Honestly, not very good. He'd pull off interceptions out of no where, carry the ball up the field for a promising counter attack and then pass it straight to a Liverpool player multiple times.

The story of his whole career with us. 

I can excuse the couple of misplaced passes that could have proved costly because that was a tough game to come back to after so long out. In the run up to him being injured he’d really improved with his distribution. With him in the team we immediately look more balanced; it’s no coincidence we did well when Gerrard gave him a decent run in the side.

Overall, did well last night considering the context, and his break-up play was excellent. I’d stick with him for the next few games as I think our overall game is better with a combative CM in there. 

• Like 3

I thought he was doing a very decent job apart from his under-hit pass, which gave them a shot on goal.

At 1-1, I couldn't see the logic of replacing him with an attacking midfielder, and it looked more like a move meant to keep a player happy, than what Villa were lacking.

Iroegbunam would have looked like a more logical replacement.

• Like 1

Like others - good at breaking up play, and then giving it back to them in as dangerous position as he'd just covered.

Not sure if this was just him being a bit rusty, but his passing has never been good. I suspect he might get one more season, before we are past the level where he can be useful. 

Him coming off didn't surprise me - but why not Chambers or Tim? Changed our shape and stifled Luiz who was doing great up to that point.

Not good enough. So what if he breaks play if he continually gives the ball back. Poor awareness, poor distribution, upgrade needed. We've known for a long time and nothing has changed. 

Â