Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

I would get rid now (for a fee possibly to a bottom half/newly promoted team or a promotion challenger where he would start). He has done a decent job at times but I think that is as much about us crying out for someone in that position and looking better with a DCM than without. I think with Kamara coming in and, hopefully, Sangare or similar we would not need Marv.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I would get rid now (for a fee possibly to a bottom half/newly promoted team or a promotion challenger where he would start). He has done a decent job at times but I think that is as much about us crying out for someone in that position and looking better with a DCM than without. I think with Kamara coming in and, hopefully, Sangare or similar we would not need Marv.

I'd keep him. We are short of ball winners in midfield and, if he could replicate his November 2021 player of the month form, then he would be a useful squad player to have. 

• Like 1

If Tim goes out on loan...keep him.  If Tim stays.  Try to sell.  For me its as simple as that.  Either player is used in cup matches and the occasional rotation spell for Kamara.  I find that more beneficial for Tim.

9 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I'd keep him. We are short of ball winners in midfield and, if he could replicate his November 2021 player of the month form, then he would be a useful squad player to have. 

He has a value at the minute.

I think his player of the month form was more down to the system requiring a DCM, which was even more evident when he got injured.

I am saying get rid on the assumption that the additional midfielder that we bring in (well publicised) is a strong sitter like Sangare and therefore we have Kamara and the new guy plus Tim, if he's not loaned, and Chambers if we need sub options and, hopefully, Dougie who could drop in if desperate.

I don't want our squad to get too bloated and think the youth can fill up the bench as well.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

With the difficulty we have had in signing players with destructive skills, I too would keep him in the squad....we are not exactly blessed with them.

He is not great with his on the ball skills, but he does seem to be able to comprehend the game without the ball, which some better all round players, seem to struggle with.

If we do cash in.....we need a better option and Kamara on his own, is not enough.

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

They might not take up a squad place but they can eat up minutes that could go to a younger player?

OP said (ignore first blank one, can't delete it and it shows me as saying it)

19 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

On 23/05/2022 at 03:29, meregreen said:

It would be a waste of a squad place.

It wouldn't. Your point stands but that's a different question.

That said it is a good debate in terms of the value of having a better player vs developing a more raw talent with a higher ceiling. I don't think there's a clear answer without more context as it depends on the game and the score, our position in the league, form, etc.lockquote widget

• Thanks 1

For me I’d keep him and loan Tim. I’d keep Traore as well and loan Chuck (if he signs hopefully) those kids need minutes, we had a chance to offer them last season but we mostly didn’t. The need to get loaned then come back ready and as new signings. Nakamba could do a job next season.

13 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

If / when we sign another midfielder - I think they will probably have the ability to cover Kamara in the 6 role (albeit I think they will be more of a hybrid 6/8).  So I guess it (a) depends on whether Nakamba is happy staying to play for the odd 15 minutes here and there, (b) whether he still offers us value only playing that number of minutes - I imagine he's not on a big contract and (c) whether Tim is ready to step up into that role within the squad.  My gut feel is that I would rather be bringing on Tim and getting him used to the PL - from what I have seen so far his ceiling is way, way higher than Nakamba's.  That said Marvellous always looks like someone who is living his dream and so he could well be very happy being emergency backup in the PL - in which case there are probably players that would be in the 25 man squad that should be moved on quicker (as they are more likely to become disinterested / twitchy about their futures).

I think we should definitely keep him as cover. Despite his limitations, we struggled so severely last season with him out of the side against teams with a physical presence in the centre. At the very least he's squad cover, and if Tim edges him out, all the better and we can sell in January. Right now there are so many ifs (whether Kamara hits the ground running, whether Tim can consistently show his worth on the big stage, what if we get an injury to Kamara). If any of those scenarios (obviously additional incomings notwithstanding) occur and Marv is not around, it's a potential season killer.    

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

Sell sell sell.

I'm sure Everton would take him for 10m.

Like they did Gueye who was also deemed to be shit and then sell him on to Paris St German a couple of years later ?

36 minutes ago, smg said:

Like they did Gueye who was also deemed to be shit and then sell him on to Paris St German a couple of years later ?

Yes because Nakamba at the youthful age of 28 is going to develop into a star like Gueye did and have PSG as suitors 🤣

• Haha 1

Let’s be honest he isn’t good enough for where we want to be going this season, he can’t pass 5 yards, get rid whilst his stock is high and not when he has a year left on his contract

Agree with those saying it's him or Tim and we probably don't need both.

I would be more minded to get a loan for Tim and keep Nakamba around another year. We wouldn't get much for him if we sold and he does a decent job for the squad. Tim meanwhile needs to play.

1 minute ago, rbcuk said:

Let’s be honest he isn’t good enough for where we want to be going this season, he can’t pass 5 yards, get rid whilst his stock is high and not when he has a year left on his contract

I’m not sure his stock is that high.  He was injured for a part of last season and then didn’t get back into the team after his injury. Anyone after him won’t want to take a risk on him if the price was too high.

5 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Yes because Nakamba at the youthful age of 28 is going to develop into a star like Gueye did and have PSG as suitors 🤣

Pity he wasn’t given the time to be a star at. Villa like a few others recently 

Â