Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

1 minute ago, TRO said:

We have 1 number 6  and 2 just playing there.....that makes up your 3

Sorry, when I said on the borderline of becoming our third number six, I didn't mean as part of the three, I meant third choice.

For me I'd have him down as our third choice player to play the number six position, behind Douglas Luiz and Tim Iroegbunam - I wasn't thinking about players in the two positions just playing there at all.

Iroegbunam is an apprentice as you say, but there's very, very little between them at the moment in my opinion and Iroegbunam's potential is so high that I think we have to be pushing to get him on the field off the bench when opportunity arises - I don't think we should be putting a stopper on that for the benefit of a player with Nakamba's limitations.

We have seven games left, of which Nakamba might be fit for six, I don't think he'll feature next season and I wouldn't be looking to take Iroegbunam off the bench for him in the meantime.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think he did, at one time, but it wasn't particularly impressive.

I just checked, Gerrard started them together against Man City, Leicester and Liverpool (the three last before Marvs injury). Difficult games of course but I thought it looked quite promising.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sorry, when I said on the borderline of becoming our third number six, I didn't mean as part of the three, I meant third choice.

For me I'd have him down as our third choice player to play the number six position, behind Douglas Luiz and Tim Iroegbunam - I wasn't thinking about players in the two positions just playing there at all.

Iroegbunam is an apprentice as you say, but there's very, very little between them at the moment in my opinion and Iroegbunam's potential is so high that I think we have to be pushing to get him on the field off the bench when opportunity arises - I don't think we should be putting a stopper on that for the benefit of a player with Nakamba's limitations.

We have seven games left, of which Nakamba might be fit for six, I don't think he'll feature next season and I wouldn't be looking to take Iroegbunam off the bench for him in the meantime.

Like you, I have high hopes for this boy, but the physical demands of the game today, is not to be under estimated.

The physicality is an arduous slog of niggles and pushes and foot stamping that referees, seem to have a selective view on.

I think Nakamba is better battle hardened for this right, now, but I accept your view of limitations....hence my comments about a leader/Authority on/off the ball which we need.

I see Nakamba as an important component in the balance of our squad, even if we are fortunate enough to sign the elusive midifielder we need....I also see a another possible couple of seasons, before Tim Is ready for the fight.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I just checked, Gerrard started them together against Man City, Leicester and Liverpool (the three last before Marvs injury). Difficult games of course but I thought it looked quite promising.

I was thinking more of under Dean Smith, but your possibly right, never checked.

Gerrard has been criticized by some for not playing Chukwuemeka enough, but imo he deserve it more for being slow to introduce Tim.

After saying months ago Tim was more or less ready, he’s played a total of 8 minutes. Sat on the bench under games where we’ve won 3-0 or 4-0. I’m sure there was an explanation in each case but unless Tim has suddenly regressed in his development, it’s doesn’t seem nearly enough.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Gerrard has been criticized by some for not playing Chukwuemeka enough, but imo he deserve it more for being slow to introduce Tim.

After saying months ago Tim was more or less ready, he’s played a total of 8 minutes. Sat on the bench under games where we’ve won 3-0 or 4-0. I’m sure there was an explanation in each case but unless Tim has suddenly regressed in his development, it’s doesn’t seem nearly enough.

I think irrespective who the manager is, we have to respect their judgment on when is the right time and under what conditions.....Thats the behind the scenes business, they are in.......we just turn up and watch the match day game.

I say this respectfully..........I think some fans under estimate the rigours of this modern game.....maybe the dangerous tackles have been eliminated to a large extent, only to be replaced by contstant pushing, niggling, tripping, stamping on the back of the ankle.....This takes some dealing with and academy football does not ready them for such exposure, with the space they play in.

I remember seeing Gareth Barry for the first time, and was taken aback by his competence and his ability to just fit in to the first team....He was really impressive on the ball.

These kids will get their chances, but they have to make them too, in the games that they do play.....you have to stand out, to get a first team shirt.

I also Remember seeing an Andy Gray, for the first time, and his urgency and tenacity at a mere 19 just blew me away.....The game is much faster now, and there is no time, to think, its a tough game to come in to.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think irrespective who the manager is, we have to respect their judgment on when is the right time and under what condistions.

I say this respectfully..........I think some fans under estimate the rigours of this modern game.....maybe the dangerous tackles have been eliminated to a large extent, only to be replaced by contstant pushing, niggling, tripping, stamping on the bacl of the ankle.....This takes some dealing with and academy football does not ready them for such exposure.

I remember seeing Gareth Barry for the first time, and was taken aback by his competence and his ability to just fit in to the first team....He was really impressive on the ball.

These kids will get their chances, but they have to make them too, in the games that they do play.....you have to stand out, to get a first team shirt.

I also Remember seeing an Andy Gray, for the first time, and his urgency and tenacity at a mere 19 just blew me away.....The game is much faster now, and there is no time, to think, its a tough game to come in to.

I agree it’s a huge difference (from the outside that is, never played in the Prem myself) and will surely take time to get used to.

But the only way forward as I see it is to actually play in the league, being pushed around and learn to realize how little time you have in each situation. Waiting and playing youth games won’t give him that hardness.

I’ve seen people online calling for Tim to start games, that would be a really bad idea. Drip feeding from the bench usually works better, but it hasn’t been dripping at all for him lately.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I agree it’s a huge difference (from the outside that is, never played in the Prem myself) and will surely take time to get used to.

But the only way forward as I see it is to actually play in the league, being pushed around and learn to realize how little time you have in each situation. Waiting and playing youth games won’t give him that hardness.

I’ve seen people online calling for Tim to start games, that would be a really bad idea. Drip feeding from the bench usually works better, but it hasn’t been dripping at all for him lately.

Which should tell us the manager doesn't think he's ready.  He's only on the bench because we have no better options for the position he plays, not because he's ready for first team football.

If we sign a CDM he will be loaned out next season to get first team experience and prove he has what it takes

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Which should tell us the manager doesn't think he's ready.  He's only on the bench because we have no better options for the position he plays, not because he's ready for first team football.

If we sign a CDM he will be loaned out next season to get first team experience and prove he has what it takes

A loan next season would probably be ideal. But while he’s on that bench I’d like to see him get minutes when there’s basically no risk, there has been opportunities for it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it's difficult for Nakamba - he's already right on the borderline of becoming our third number six. 

If we then go out and buy one, there's difference between being the back up guy and being the third of fourth choice guy - he won't want to stay here to appear in half the matchday squads and maybe make four or five appearances.

If we buy one (and I think it's pretty clear we will) then I think we'll have to move at least one on. Ideally for me we keep the best of those we can keep, and for me that's Douglas Luiz, but if you asked me right now which of Iroegbunam and Nakamba I'd keep if one had to go, it'd be Iroegbunam.

I'd hope next year we have Doug backing up the new six whilst also competing for games at eight, I'd loan Iroegbunam out and let Nakamba go altogether.

My take is that Douglas isn’t a 6 and won’t sign a contract to continue playing that position. I don’t think it’s an argument of Doug vs Nakamba, they’re different players for different positions. I’d rather nakamba 6 and Douglas playing as well. 

• Like 3

On 27/03/2022 at 13:01, VillaParkAvenue said:

A loan next season would probably be ideal. But while he’s on that bench I’d like to see him get minutes when there’s basically no risk, there has been opportunities for it.

Its hard enough getting points with experienced players, never mind academy players.

its a balancing act....SG still has a job to protect and winning games is his priority.

I think Nakamba fits nicely into our squad next season. We've Tim who can go on loan to get experience either a full season or half season and then we assess next summer when Nakamba has 1 year left on his contract.

i think if we buy a top DM in the summer, Nakamba will be more than adequate backup.

Will then allow us to either allow Luiz to challenge for the no.8 positions, or sell Luiz, depending on what happens.

• Like 2

On 26/03/2022 at 12:19, VillaParkAvenue said:

That's a thing inexperienced managers do more often IMO. They don't want to expose themselves/young players to upsets.

We currently have the best selection of youth players the club has probably ever had. All at the same time.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

That's a thing inexperienced managers do more often IMO. They don't want to expose themselves/young players to upsets.

We currently have the best selection of youth players the club has probably ever had. All at the same time.

It might sound counter-intuitive, but I also think if we had a better starting CM (i.e. one that worked properly with players in their natural roles) the kids would have seen a lot more game time. The fact that the middle is held together with sellotape at the best of times makes it all the more difficult to integrate youngsters with no experience as quickly as we'd all like

Â