Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

8 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Was it true that if he had got a second straight after it would only be a one match ban? 

Yes but if he doesn’t get booked in the 97th minute he wouldn’t get any ban. Yellow cards are reset after today’s game. He got booked for a reason imho. 

Edited by WHY

Great player, but he's always had a moronic streak in him. Today's incident was the worst offender yet, sums up our luck in the 2nd half of the season that he's decided to go and do that. Maybe a rest (at the worst possible time) will do him some good. Some of his play in recent weeks has just seemed so casual imo: as if there's some fatigue at play.

Crazy how that's the third time this season that a midfielder has gotten themselves an unfathomably stupid card at a pivotal junction. Joins Kamara in the reverse fixture and McGinn a few weeks ago. Please don't get any ideas, Tielemans...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WHY said:

Yes but if he doesn’t get booked in the 97th minute he wouldn’t get any ban. Yellow cards are reset after today’s game. He got booked for a reason imho. 

Are you seriously suggesting he did it on purpose because he didn’t want to play Arsenal? I thought you were joking.

He looked gutted by the booking and was begging the ref not to book him.

• Like 3

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

Are you seriously suggesting he did it on purpose because he didn’t want to play Arsenal? I thought you were joking.

He looked gutted by the booking and was begging the ref not to book him.

I just can’t have anyone would be stupid enough to get booked with 30 seconds to go when you know they reset after the game. Maybe I’m still fuming we threw away 2 points and it’s clouding my judgement. 

When he made the foul he would have been oblivous in his conscious thoughts to the fact that a yellow card would have resulted in a ban, all his attention and focus would have been on trying to do what he can to help us win the game, he was in the zone, if game had have already been won like it should have been, then he wouldn't have made that tackle that resulted in the yellow, so his ban is basically another consequence of us throwing away the lead like we did as a team

• Thanks 1

Whilst he has many many qualities, I also think that he is one of the ones that Ollie refers to when talking about lacking game management. Some of his fouls are in ridiculously dangerous positions. He also gets booked for insane/unnecessary reasons. 

You can't fault a midfielder for picking up a booking in a 3-3 when we're going all out to get something.

Luiz loves, absolutely loves a stupid booking, but that isn't one.

That half was mental.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WooJung said:

Because now he misses two games instead of one

helped get us a point we might have lost and possibly Unai would have rested him vs Arsenal. This is an easy comment with hindsight

Luiz was not good at all today. Passing was off, tackling was off, game management was off. For whatever reason, new not been on it at all in last month or so. The card at the end was moronic frankly. Some blame to Unai for not getting him off before this as he wasnt contributing much anyway.

I have only seen it at the game looking from the Hotle but it seemed a harsh booking in the context of a game where the referee let quite a lot go and wasn't overly keen to get his card out. Regardless of whether it was deserved or not though these things happen in the heat of battle especially when we were desperate to regain possession and try to right the wrongs of throwing away a winning position.

Trying to put a positive slant on it he'll be fresh for the away leg in Lille and our run in. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

The booking was always going to happen within next few games. May as well get it out the way so he’s back with us for the final push in those 4 games we have him back for. 

11 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The booking was always going to happen within next few games. May as well get it out the way so he’s back with us for the final push in those 4 games we have him back for. 

If he'd kept his head for literally a minute longer, then he wouldn't have faced a ban this season as today was last chance for totting up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

If he'd kept his head for literally a minute longer, then he wouldn't have faced a ban this season as today was last chance for totting up. 

Got ya , I didn’t know that.  That is shit. 

10 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Impossible for Dougie. He just can't help himself. Loves a yellow and will continue to collect them like Pokemon 😆

46 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

helped get us a point we might have lost and possibly Unai would have rested him vs Arsenal. This is an easy comment with hindsight

I raised the point before the game.

We don't know how the game would have turned out if he hadn't started, but a point from this game certainly isn't a success and his performance certainly wasn't one of his best

Dougie needs help in the defensive midfield portion and has since Kamara went out. He is being asked to cover a lot of real estate and the pressure builds as the season wears on. And, I think Tim would've been a good guy to start next to him today, with Tielemans and McGinn in a 4-4-2 with Bailey and Watkins (or even Diaby/Duran, who do have a legitimate chemistry). I know that sacrifices width on the left side but I'm willing to do that with Digne pushing up to cross. It might also allow Konsa to do Konsa things until Cash is back. Like it or not, the midfield is getting consistently overrun. Not surprising when we have so many season-ending injuries in that section.

Bet you see that Thursday.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Maybe it will work out for the better. He's been poor, he can play 100% in Lille ties now and maybe he will recover his form.

It's one of those where we probably wouldn't have enough to get a draw with Arsenal with him in the team (based on their level in 2024 which is very good indeed) and we should  have enough to edge Bournemouth without him.

Chelsea is the one where he needs to come back fresh and run the show....but then McGinn didn't really today.

While we're beating up on him, something I just spotted...

Dougie has the most Villa Premier League appearances (171) of any player in the current squad, ahead of McGinn (163). And he's second on overall Villa appearances, as McGinn has a Championship season, and Mings surprisingly has fewer Villa apps despite the extra season.

And he's still only 25. Think we underrate his contribution sometimes. He has a very tough job to do in the middle there with Kamara out.

Edited by KentVillan
changed less to fewer before Off Topic pedants catch me
  • Like 3

Â