Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Feels like he’s played the full 90+ mins in every game this season, while everyone else around him and behind him has been out at various times. He must be knackered.

Frustrating that he got the card and misses 2 games, but if the wheels come off now, it certainly won’t be his fault. Similar to McGinn against Spurs - these guys have had great seasons, playing a lot of football, but they are human beings and will make mistakes or lose control. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The booking was always going to happen within next few games. May as well get it out the way so he’s back with us for the final push in those 4 games we have him back for. 

Bookings get reset after today’s game. He had 30 seconds not to get booked. 

• Shocked 1

26 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

While we're beating up on him, something I just spotted...

Dougie has the most Villa Premier League appearances (171) of any player in the current squad, ahead of McGinn (163). And he's second on overall Villa appearances, as McGinn has a Championship season, and Mings surprisingly has fewer Villa apps despite the extra season.

And he's still only 25. Think we underrate his contribution sometimes. He has a very tough job to do in the middle there with Kamara out.

No one is questioning his ability or how good he has been for us... but that yellow card, 10 seconds of the allocated stoppage time left to play and he leaves his foot in like that... it's beyond moronic. Perhaps Emery should have subbed him (especially as he got away with one a few minutes earlier) but the player shouldn't be that stupid, especially that late in the game what was he hoping to achieve such a careless foul that late on

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

No one is questioning his ability or how good he has been for us... but that yellow card, 10 seconds of the allocated stoppage time left to play and he leaves his foot in like that... it's beyond moronic. Perhaps Emery should have subbed him (especially as he got away with one a few minutes earlier) but the player shouldn't be that stupid, especially that late in the game what was he hoping to achieve such a careless foul that late on

I don't think he was deliberately leaving his foot in. I think he was genuinely trying to win the ball back and get 3 pts. It's on Emery really to make the call there - that feels like a managerial mistake to me. But the sides above us would have a ready-made replacement on the bench, and we don't really.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

He absolutely was trying to get the ball back.  He thought he could win it and if he didn't then the game was going to end in a draw.

That foul was not a booking anyway. The ref ignored Ajer for 97 minutes despite committing more fouls and more cynical ones than that one from Luiz.

And he needed a rest anyway. He's been off the boil for a few games so I don't think he'll be especially missed compared with when he was on top form, and it may give him chance to get back to that form.  He'll still be playing 90 minutes a week anyway because of the Europa conference games, so this isn't the disaster it could have been, and he'll probably learn from this that picking up some of the more stupid bookings he did earlier in the season will come back to bite him. 

Think it probably was a booking technically, but agree with the rest of your post... refs are inconsistent, and Dougie definitely needs a break.

Please could someone clarify for me, so this booking means Dougie cannot play in the next 2 premier league games, I.e. is still ok to play against Lille on Thursday?

Or does it mean the next two games I.e Lille (h) and Arsenal (a)?

4 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Please could someone clarify for me, so this booking means Dougie cannot play in the next 2 premier league games, I.e. is still ok to play against Lille on Thursday?

Or does it mean the next two games I.e Lille (h) and Arsenal (a)?

He will miss the Arsenal and Bournemouth premier league matches and will be able to play vs Lille...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MrBlack said:

He absolutely was trying to get the ball back.  He thought he could win it and if he didn't then the game was going to end in a draw.

That foul was not a booking anyway. The ref ignored Ajer for 97 minutes despite committing more fouls and more cynical ones than that one from Luiz.

And he needed a rest anyway. He's been off the boil for a few games so I don't think he'll be especially missed compared with when he was on top form, and it may give him chance to get back to that form.  He'll still be playing 90 minutes a week anyway because of the Europa conference games, so this isn't the disaster it could have been, and he'll probably learn from this that picking up some of the more stupid bookings he did earlier in the season will come back to bite him. 

A lot of criticism of him yesterday for getting the yellow, which I thought was very harsh. The ball was defintely there to be won, it was a challenge after playing 97 minutes. With tired legs it's easy to get fractionally wrong which unfortunately he did. If it happened in the first half I doubt it would even have been given a yellow.

It's hard for him to be as effective as he was before Kamara got injured. Kamara was the primary defensive one of the pair since he's been out although it had been shared with McGinn he does have that extra responsibility.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

A lot of criticism of him yesterday for getting the yellow, which I thought was very harsh. The ball was defintely there to be won, it was a challenge after playing 97 minutes. With tired legs it's easy to get fractionally wrong which unfortunately he did. If it happened in the first half I doubt it would even have been given a yellow.

It's hard for him to be as effective as he was before Kamara got injured. Kamara was the primary defensive one of the pair since he's been out although it had been shared with McGinn he does have that extra responsibility.

Spot on. In the games against ambition-less opposition he copes without Kamara. But against a side trying to attack he's always exposed and whilst he gets away with it some times it's defintely putting more strain and demand on him.

Hopefully we get to see Tim given some game time now and he takes the opportunity so that when Luiz comes back he's trusted to play alongside him and has the confidence to do so. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

Feels like he’s played the full 90+ mins in every game this season, while everyone else around him and behind him has been out at various times. He must be knackered.

Frustrating that he got the card and misses 2 games, but if the wheels come off now, it certainly won’t be his fault. Similar to McGinn against Spurs - these guys have had great seasons, playing a lot of football, but they are human beings and will make mistakes or lose control. 

It's not out of the question to say that exhaustion played a role in his decision to stick his foot out.

5 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Our best midfielder. Lock him down!

McGinn and Kamara are better.

Luiz is overrated on here. Good player but we treat him like he’s a world beater when I don’t think he is tbh. He’s been average a lot this season in matches. 

• Haha 1

Â