Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

5 hours ago, peterw said:

I loved his goal celebration after the corner.

Yeah, I've watched that goal about a hundred times and love to watch everyone's reaction back!

You'll never beat his crowd dive against Watford at VP though 😎

36 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Should have been done last season. When's his contract up?

Summer 24, I think. There's been talking about giving him a new contract several times, but nothing's happened so far. I really hope we tie him up with an improved 5 year contract. IMO he's been good since project restart, but this season he so far has sorted out the errors like being a bit too eager to get the ball which has given the opponents too many unnecessary freekicks and penalties. He can become really, really good in the future. He's improved every season.

38 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Summer 24, I think. There's been talking about giving him a new contract several times, but nothing's happened so far. 

He signed in summer 2019 so has been here just over 2 years.   Was it a 5 year contract initially?   

A 4 year contract would mean his contract would end summer 2023.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

He signed in summer 2019 so has been here just over 2 years.   Was it a 5 year contract initially?   

A 4 year contract would mean his contract would end summer 2023.

No, you're right. 23, of course. My math took some serious beating there. :D AFAIK it was a 4 year contract.

• Like 1

Needs to be signing a new contract by the end of Jan otherwise we need to look at moving him on. Can't have players running down their contracts who play 1st team and we want to keep.

A 4 or 5 year contract will do the trick. If he wants to go, which there isn't any sign of, then better to get as much as possible as soon as possible.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Anyone got subscription to The Athletic? Gregg Evans saying there is confusion over Luiz' buyback with MCFC

I have but i cant see anything on the athletic, or google for that matter, in relation to this.

Where have you seen it?

I've come to the conclusion that Smith, Lange and team don't think Luiz attributes fits into what he wants from a holding midfielder. 

For the full backs to get forward as much as they are in the current 3 centre backs formation, but with 2 CBs in a back 4. This requires a huge amount from the CDM in terms of dropping back to form a 3rd CB almost and then moving to midfield to progress the ball forward from defence to attack when we have possession. 

Luiz simply doesn't have the attributes to do this role to the level required for our performances to progress to top 6 and beyond level. 

Luiz loves the role he's doing in the 3 5 2 as with Axel/Hause there in defence he has less to do defensively and can focus on his best skill which is progressing the ball forward.

I think the big change for next season is that CDM with those qualities. I think Luiz might be one to move on in that shake up as I see Sanson taking the Luiz role when he's fully fit if we play 3 5 2 and the new CDM in a 4 3 3 - JJ, McGinn, Chuk, Buendia the more attacking options ahead of them

45 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Anyone got subscription to The Athletic? Gregg Evans saying there is confusion over Luiz' buyback with MCFC

Villa were certainly open to changes. It’s why they pushed for Southampton’s James Ward-Prowse but quickly became aware that a deal would be too expensive. They expected more interest in Douglas Luiz, too. Strong messages that Manchester City were ready to activate a buy-back clause found their way to members of the Villa hierarchy, and for some time they were preparing for such an outcome.

Villa were also open to moving Luiz on elsewhere and at the right price, but there wasn’t enough interest. When he returned from the Olympics as a gold medallist, Smith welcomed him back with a presentation in front of his team-mates to celebrate the success. A move for Ward-Prowse had passed by then and Villa had decided that he was staying.

Roma continue to be linked with Luiz and if they come in strong during the January window, Villa will be in a good position to get a higher transfer fee should his form remain at this high level.

Whether they will want to let him go is another matter. The 23-year-old is an unsung hero from the last two games. His corner kicks have been superb. His driving runs have helped, and crucially, he’s maintaining his discipline when the going gets tough. The balance in the middle is just right for Villa. McGinn is at the top of his game and Jacob Ramsey offers a significant presence, too.

1 minute ago, Cizzler said:

Villa were certainly open to changes. It’s why they pushed for Southampton’s James Ward-Prowse but quickly became aware that a deal would be too expensive. They expected more interest in Douglas Luiz, too. Strong messages that Manchester City were ready to activate a buy-back clause found their way to members of the Villa hierarchy, and for some time they were preparing for such an outcome.

Villa were also open to moving Luiz on elsewhere and at the right price, but there wasn’t enough interest. When he returned from the Olympics as a gold medallist, Smith welcomed him back with a presentation in front of his team-mates to celebrate the success. A move for Ward-Prowse had passed by then and Villa had decided that he was staying.

Roma continue to be linked with Luiz and if they come in strong during the January window, Villa will be in a good position to get a higher transfer fee should his form remain at this high level.

Whether they will want to let him go is another matter. The 23-year-old is an unsung hero from the last two games. His corner kicks have been superb. His driving runs have helped, and crucially, he’s maintaining his discipline when the going gets tough. The balance in the middle is just right for Villa. McGinn is at the top of his game and Jacob Ramsey offers a significant presence, too.

So, as I suspected, no confusion at all then. We didn't buy JWP, Dougie is bang in form, everybody's happy. 

Clickbait. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

its basically that they thought Man City might activate the buy back, they werent sure, they planned for the possibility of him leaving, but the clause wasnt activated, and its now expired.

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

So, as I suspected, no confusion at all then. We didn't buy JWP, Dougie is bang in form, everybody's happy. 

Clickbait. 

Evans hasn't a clue, terrible journalist. The on;y sensible thing he said was Dougie is playing well. 

As for the we don't want/need/rate him, I'm not having that. He's a really good player, he's 23 and has a bright future. If we want to improve then he might be a squad player in the future, no harm in that. McGinn/Luiz/Sanson all battling each other would be great.  

• Like 2

My gut feeling is that Douglas already has an offer of a new contract on the table from us, as he is clealry rated by Deano as he keeps picking him. Most of the players signed when we were promoted have signed a new deal since there first deal. I suspect that it is more of a case that Douglas is keeping his options open at the moment by not agreeing to the new deal on offer. I fear that his agents have probably had contact from a team abroad like Roma (It's been reported too often now for my liking), and that come the summer they will try and pick him up cheaply with only a year left on his deal. I am hoping a good finish this season may tempt him to sign a new deal here, but I can see there would be temptation for him to move to Italy and Rome with a better climate and challenging in european competition possibly the Champions League.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Evans hasn't a clue, terrible journalist. The on;y sensible thing he said was Dougie is playing well. 

As for the we don't want/need/rate him, I'm not having that. He's a really good player, he's 23 and has a bright future. If we want to improve then he might be a squad player in the future, no harm in that. McGinn/Luiz/Sanson all battling each other would be great.  

We would be mad to let Dougie go if he doesn't want to leave. He is a first team regular, already performing on the biggest stage at international level and still has bags of potential, which will no doubt start to be fulfilled over the next 2-3 seasons.

If he does want to leave I'd hope we could get 45-50m minimum at present. Leave it too long and he will be in the last year of his deal, which will hinder our ability to get significantly more than we paid for him. 

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

My gut feeling is that Douglas already has an offer of a new contract on the table from us, as he is clealry rated by Deano as he keeps picking him. Most of the players signed when we were promoted have signed a new deal since there first deal. I suspect that it is more of a case that Douglas is keeping his options open at the moment by not agreeing to the new deal on offer. I fear that his agents have probably had contact from a team abroad like Roma (It's been reported too often now for my liking), and that come the summer they will try and pick him up cheaply with only a year left on his deal. I am hoping a good finish this season may tempt him to sign a new deal here, but I can see there would be temptation for him to move to Italy and Rome with a better climate and challenging in european competition possibly the Champions League.

I think more likely is he is trying to leverage interest into a better deal. And with his current form he probably doesn't want to be lowballed. 

Â