Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Don't understand the negativity towards Luiz at all, he is after shin splints the most techincally gifted player I have seen at Villa, a huge talent, also good defensively and the perfect holding midfielder. Of course he will be a bit up and down at times, he is just 23 ffs. 

Agreed. I rate Douglas-Luiz, he’s only going to get better too. He was a raw 21 year old when he joined us, playing in a team of new faces in a new league. After project restart he was one of the key contributors in us staying up, he’s been inconsistent since but still made the Brazil squad. Not bad for a lad so young. His technical ability is there for all to see, he’s feisty too which I like. Nobody should be writing him off yet. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Don't understand the negativity towards Luiz at all, he is after shin splints the most techincally gifted player I have seen at Villa, a huge talent, also good defensively and the perfect holding midfielder. Of course he will be a bit up and down at times, he is just 23 ffs. 

Totally disagree.

yeah he is down more than he's up.

Explain what he does to warrant your claim?

14 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Agreed. I rate Douglas-Luiz, he’s only going to get better too. He was a raw 21 year old when he joined us, playing in a team of new faces in a new league. After project restart he was one of the key contributors in us staying up, he’s been inconsistent since but still made the Brazil squad. Not bad for a lad so young. His technical ability is there for all to see, he’s feisty too which I like. Nobody should be writing him off yet. 

who says.

I will be delighted, if he comes good, just can't see it, in the role he plays for us. He gets frustrated, and gives away free kicks, is that him being fiesty?......Opponents just run past him or brush him aside.....How is that being negative, it happens too often.

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Hope he wins the gold tomorrow, then gets a well earned 3 week rest. Reckon this is make or break season for him to push on. 

for sure.

15 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

i suspect a fully fit Sanson will be ahead of him in the pecking order.

If Deano continues with a 4-2-3-1, I suspect that he will rotate Sanson, Dougie, and McGinn in the 2. Keep them fresh. And if someone isn't playing well, you have options.

I like Dougie but, as a player, I think his form went backwards last season. Maybe it's the position he's playing in, I think he played further forward at Girona? 

I'm sure he gave more than one penalty away last season and makes crazy decisions at times. He was the main one being left out at times and when replaced by Nakamba Marvellous lived up to his name. Dougie himself apologised on Twitter more than once for his performance in games and admitted he needed to be better with the ball. 

Not sure I'd get rid but I think we need better than he's given us in that position. 

14 hours ago, messi11 said:

image.thumb.png.f199808944dae4c950d45219a2ab727e.png

Needs to improve massively if hes to make it here 

I don't think his stats are that bad tbh. 

In that top(offensive) section, it looks bad but he is technically a defensive midfielder. It makes sense his offensive stats would not be that good relative to central midfielders in general. The middle section is biased(passing and posessions) by the low amount of touches he gets on the pitch relative to other midfielders. The one stat that should not be affected by that is his pass completion rate which is decent. The last section(defensively) is decent overall.

My problem with Luiz is that it seems like his decent at everything and not particularly good at anything. Which is fine I guess if we want a guy who won't need to be carried and we need him to plug a hole in midfield. But unless he gains a clear strength somewhere in his game, he won't be anything more.

I don't think its a coincidence that the team performed a lot better with Nakamba in the team than with Luiz even though overall I think they're about par. Nakamba may be far less well rounded, but he excels defensively in a position we would really benefit from having someone who excels defensively instead of a jack of all trade type in Luiz.

Perhaps a team with Nakamba in DM and Luiz and Mcginn and CM could work but I don't think Smith sees Luiz as a CM anymore.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Bellingham is only 18 and puts himself about more....and he is not a DM.

You watch a lot of Bundesliga football do you? What would you say are the similarities and differences in their roles at Dortmund compared to how Luiz is asked to play for Villa?

3 minutes ago, sne said:

You watch a lot of Bundesliga football do you? What would you say are the similarities and differences in their roles at Dortmund compared to how Luiz is asked to play for Villa?

Ketchup Or Catsup? - The Simpsons GIF - TheSimpsons Ketchup Catsup -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

I think if we got a decent offer, I would sell him. I like him as a player and I think he will get better but I don’t think he is the DM that we need. We are also well stocked in central midfield so if we are going to buy a destroyer then someone needs to make way.

If selling Doug for £25m enables us to sign Bissouma for £50m then it’s a deal worth doing. It also allows more flexibility with financial fair play if we need to dabble in January. Add in a loan/free gk and cb and we will have had a great window. 

8 hours ago, TRO said:

Bellingham is only 18 and puts himself about more....and he is not a DM.

I take your point as always TRO Bellingham is potentially a generational talent though. That’s why he’d cost at least 3x as much as any of our midfield and will spend his whole career in the CL. He is the best/most valuable player of his age in the world. So yes I’ll accept he’d be a better option! :)

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

My problem with Luiz is that it seems like his decent at everything and not particularly good at anything. Which is fine I guess if we want a guy who won't need to be carried and we need him to plug a hole in midfield. But unless he gains a clear strength somewhere in his game, he won't be anything more.

I think on the other hand he would shine in a top team - kind of like how a Carrick would always look better for Man United than if he had been playing for us.

8 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Hope he wins the gold tomorrow, then gets a well earned 3 week rest. Reckon this is make or break season for him to push on. 

I’d love him to come back with the gold, sign a new contract and makes himself undroppable within our midfield. 

• Like 1

Â