Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

Don't know how reputable this source is, but Roma are considering making a bid for him, I doubt they can afford him tbh!

https://www.giallorossi.net/la-roma-vira-su-koopmeiners-e-douglas-luiz/

The other name that Pinto likes is Douglas Luiz, also 23 years old, Brazilian midfielder ofAston Villa expiring contract in 2023. The asking price, however, is higher, about 30-35 million euros. 

Worth thinking about if it gives us the funds to bring in JWP?

Just now, Davkaus said:

Don't know how reputable this source is, but Roma are considering making a bid for him, I doubt they can afford him tbh!

I'd be tempted if it meant we could sign JWP. I think Roma might a bit broke, they couldn't go much higher than £14m for Xhaka. 

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They got taken over by a multi-billionaire American, so they have plenty of money, and hence Mourinho joining them.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah, I think I’d go along with this.  Decent player, but just not enough at either end for me. £20m ish + DL for JWP would be decent business

• Shocked 1

23 hours ago, Awol said:

Like with El Ghazi, if Dougie hasn’t been offered a new contract this summer he’ll be off. The days of valuable assets running down contracts are gone. 

yeah i have mentioned a couple of times that he only has 2 years on his contract now.

wonder if he will sign a new one after coming back from the olympics?, if not we prob need to consider offloading.

23 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I'd be tempted if it meant we could sign JWP. I think Roma might a bit broke, they couldn't go much higher than £14m for Xhaka. 

And me , reluctantly, I like the kid, i'm just not sure he is suited to the Premier League, or where we try to play him.

I could see him doing well in Spain or Italy.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Brazil are through to final, after beating Mexico on Penalties.

Doug actually played very well.

Yep was watching the game also, had a good game, some of those passes…

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Yep was watching the game also, had a good game, some of those passes…

Indeed, I give him stick at times, but credit where it's due.

All this does, is solidify my view that he is indeed as Deep PLAYMAKER, not a DCM.

To allow him to play to his strengths, the midfield set up needs to be different.

Some seriously sublime forward and cross/diagonal field passes today.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Jeez I didn't the kid is STILL PLAYING football even now. No rest whatsoever?? Terrible for us.

The games have been a pretty tepid tempo, but your right it all adds up.

Will be interesting who they play in the final, if Japan, they play a high fast press and will be a struggle in the heat.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Indeed, I give him stick at times, but credit where it's due.

All this does, is solidify my view that he is indeed as Deep PLAYMAKER, not a DCM.

To allow him to play to his strengths, the midfield set up needs to be different.

Some seriously sublime forward and cross/diagonal field passes today.

Yep a few of us have been saying that for a while, but may not suit the game Smith wants to play, he would suit a league like Italy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thunderball said:

He will be sold with no particular fuss or outcry and thereafter be brilliant. Same with Nakamba. You just watch......

the next gueye / veretout

those wanting him sold for £15 - 20m will be in for a shock when he's a £30 - 40m player 2 years later

i think for his age and his ability we can not get better for what we would sell him for, he just needs more time and help in the middle, him and mcginn doesnt work

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the next gueye / veretout

those wanting him sold for £15 - 20m will be in for a shock when he's a £30 - 40m player 2 years later

i think for his age and his ability we can not get better for what we would sell him for, he just needs more time and help in the middle, him and mcginn doesnt work

I don't think anyone would want him sold for that figure, especially given that we paid like 16 mill for him?

Also, not every player who shows promise is going to be the next Vertout/Gueye, some could just as well be the next Mathieu Berson.

At this stage, I don't think many question his " ability ", it's about whether that ability x the way we play x The Premier League is a match. Unless the system and/or personnel changes, it's not IMO.

If he was anything like Gueye, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, the notion that people didn't rate Gueye is a myth, I think most of us were gutted he had to go.

Some players " abilities " aren't suited to certain systems and/or leagues, just ask Eden Hazard or Philip Coutinho.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I don't think anyone would want him sold for that figure, especially given that we paid like 16 mill for him?

Also, not every player who shows promise is going to be the next Vertout/Gueye, some could just as well be the next Mathieu Berson.

At this stage, I don't think many question his " ability ", it's about whether that ability x the way we play x The Premier League is a match. Unless the system and/or personnel changes, it's not IMO.

If he was anything like Gueye, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, the notion that people didn't rate Gueye is a myth, I think most of us were gutted he had to go.

Some players " abilities " aren't suited to certain systems and/or leagues, just ask Eden Hazard or Philip Coutinho.

I think that this is where things will change. With the players that we are bringing in (Bailey and Buendia) and if we keep Jack then I expect the team to be way more adept at winning the ball further up the field. We won't have Watkins doing all the pressing on his own. The pressure on the team further back will be relieved a bit and then we will see Dougie shine.

At the moment when we give the ball away in attack, the plan seems to be retreat in to a nice compact shape in front of goal and defend that way, essentially leave space on the wings but secure the centre. In this case I think that Doug is just required to cut off space in the middle and not engage in an attempt to win the ball back. With a presumed (by me, so could be nonsense) change in style we will see a spread among the players winning the ball back and it will be much higher up the field.

• Like 1

Â