Douglas Luiz

LondonLax

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I think that this is where things will change. With the players that we are bringing in (Bailey and Buendia) and if we keep Jack then I expect the team to be way more adept at winning the ball further up the field. We won't have Watkins doing all the pressing on his own. The pressure on the team further back will be relieved a bit and then we will see Dougie shine.

At the moment when we give the ball away in attack, the plan seems to be retreat in to a nice compact shape in front of goal and defend that way, essentially leave space on the wings but secure the centre. In this case I think that Doug is just required to cut off space in the middle and not engage in an attempt to win the ball back. With a presumed (by me, so could be nonsense) change in style we will see a spread among the players winning the ball back and it will be much higher up the field.

Good point, and that would do his game a world of good.

Teams will be so busy monitoring forwards, that it will also leave space for him to ping a pinpoint crossfield ball into space for the oncoming " Insert any of our sick forward/wingers here "

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vazquez said:

23 year old Brazilian international, hopefully we can somehow keep hold of him. One of the most complete football players at Villa. 

Don’t doubt his ability, but the problem like I said before that he doesn’t do enough at either end.  He’s not really a DM, and he’s not really an AM.

He has 2 assists and no goals last season.  The trade off for such poor attacking stats should be fantastic defensive or possession contribution - but those are also average.

The truth of the matter is that JWP offers similar defensive contribution, but 15 goal contributions last season. That’s 13 MORE than DL.  To put that in context, Bertrand Traore had 13 goal contributions last season.

So yeah, JWPs contribution to Southampton last season was the same as traore and Douglas Luiz combined.  Take a minute to process that.

This is not to say DL isn’t a good player.  But if there’s an opportunity to replace him with someone that pretty much does what he does in that deep lying position, but also adds superb set pieces - we should take it.

Edited by Thug

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

So yeah, JWPs contribution to Southampton last season was the same as traore and Douglas Luiz combined.  Take a minute to process that.

Is this because a lot of their play goes through JWP or the style of their attacks, whereas Doug doesn't have that role for us? 

Edit: you just posted some stats: looks like Doug's defensive contribution is far superior to JWP's (if I am reading it right)?

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache

1 minute ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Is this because a lot of their play goes through JWP or the style of their attacks, whereas Doug doesn't have that role for us? 

I think it’s because JWP can take a brilliant set piece whereas DL can’t.

If we have an alternative source for set pieces then JWP becomes redundant.

Bailey? Young?

Edited by Thug
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, sne said:

Any stats from 4 years ago when JWP was the same age as Luiz is now?

If we can find a way to have decent set piece delivery in the team from another source, then JWP is pretty much redundant.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thug said:

If we can find a way to have decent set piece delivery in the team from another source, then JWP is pretty much redundant.

Both Young and Bailey are pretty sharp at set pieces.

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Anyone watched him in the Olympics ?

Watched the first game against Germany and he was quite poor, giving the ball away and misplacing passes. Haven't seen any other games but, sent off in the second group game, suspended for the third. He was then straight back in for the quarter final, he's gotten good reviews and voted as MotM in the quarter final.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Only watched snippets and the odd half here and there from the tournament. From what I gathered he's had a few very solid 7/10 performances, 1 game where he was sent off and then a MOTM performance against Egypt.

Managed to pick up 2 yellow and a straight red which admittedly was very harsh. Still not great perhaps. 

Real test coming up in the final against that stupidly talented Spain side.

Edited by sne
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I watched the last game. He impressed with quite a few long walls out to wide forwards that caught the commentators attention. Seemed a bit frustrated at the other Brazilians giving the ball away at times. Also had a penalty shout in the first half that was overturned after a VAR review as it was an awful dive.

1 minute ago, Anything11 said:

I watched the last game. He impressed with quite a few long walls out to wide forwards that caught the commentators attention. Seemed a bit frustrated at the other Brazilians giving the ball away at times. Also had a penalty shout in the first half that was overturned after a VAR review as it was an awful dive.

The Great Wall of China at Jinshanling-edit.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Wrong country.

I know. I was trying to think of something clever to caption it with as the countries are relatively near to one another but alas my creativity didn't stretch that far, or at the very least anything that I thought of didn't reach my very elevated standards of wit.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Haha 1

Dougie is an odd one for me. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Deano flips him and it wouldn't surprise me if he came back on another level and ended up POTS next year and over shadowed the newbies.

It's in there but we haven't seen it consistently enough yet.

• Like 1

Â