Mahmoud 'Trézéguet' Hassan

Demitri_C

36 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I'm a little surprised that people think this is NOT a penalty.

The idea that a player got a nick on a ball means nothing when it comes to foul play.

Look at the trajectory of the defender. He is running straight at Trez. Trez sees this and plays around. The defender lunges, barely touches the ball - not enough to take it out of Trez's path and deny the scoring opportunity - and his trajectory takes him straight into Trez' shin.

That's the epitome of piss-poor defending. You do NOT commit like that in the box because forwards know how to draw the foul - which is exactly what Trez did. Being denied the chance to shoot by the contact on the shin - NOT the contact on the ball - means it's a penalty all day long.

This is spot on. I’m unsure how anybody who’s played or watched a game of football can think it’s not a penalty. The overanalysing of basic decisions is killing football for me at the moment. If that penalty had been given and we had no VAR then nobody would have had any issue.

On a side note the reaction of both Graham Potter and Solly March post game tells you all you need to know. They know it’s a penalty and they know they’ve got away with one. I would say it evens itself out but with VAR I now think it’s clear that it doesn’t to an even greater extent than before.

• Like 1

Trez actually had a helluva game yesterday and I really wanted to vote him MotM but whilst he played well he did also miss one or two great chances to change the game so it’s hard to then call him MotM.

I can’t in good conscious complain much about the penalty yesterday when I decry diving so much, it was a dive, it was minimal contact and not enough to send him down to the ground.

The frustration of course is again with VAR, even though it reached the right decision in my opinion.

• Like 3

Had another pretty good game yesterday, shame he can't finish easy chances. 

I'm still not sure what I think of the pen situation. There was contact but it was pretty soft, I don't think his big jump in the air particularly helped matters. 

• Like 1

Don't like commenting on the penalty, it seems like sour grapes and we wasn't good enough defensively yesterday. But..... 

If it wasn't a penalty then the game should have been allowed to carry on, the ball was in the box. The ref stopped  play and us attacking to review the penalty, an error on his part. He should have allowed play to carry on and reviewed the penalty at the next pause in play. 

Trez played well. 

Finishing aside, Traore has no right to take Trez's place any time soon and I will be irritated if he does.

Clearly it takes time to settle in the Prem and Trez was outstanding on Sat aside from the finishing. Hopefully Barkley gets back soon because that front four could be racking up goals and assists with the run we have. All playing really well.

Thought just occurred to me from watching his sitter again...he's right footed isn't he? I mean the superb volley v Arsenal was with his right and the close range finishes v Palace and Liverpool were also right footed IIRC, maybe Leicester cup goal wasn't given he came in from the other side for that. Can also remember that rocket shot that hit the bar at Old Trafford and that was certainly his right foot smashing that one.

Of course where he was coming from favoured a left foot shot but he did have time to quickly shift onto his right and would've surely scored.

On 22/11/2020 at 12:43, tom_avfc said:

This is spot on. I’m unsure how anybody who’s played or watched a game of football can think it’s not a penalty. The overanalysing of basic decisions is killing football for me at the moment. If that penalty had been given and we had no VAR then nobody would have had any issue.

On a side note the reaction of both Graham Potter and Solly March post game tells you all you need to know. They know it’s a penalty and they know they’ve got away with one. I would say it evens itself out but with VAR I now think it’s clear that it doesn’t to an even greater extent than before.

Bang on.

and you are right about Potter and March, so sheepish in their responses.

as soon as VAR asked him to look at the monitor, doubt was clearly registered, they planted that doubt.....then he was just looking for anything to question himself.

He bottled it.

11 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

I'd like to see him on the left, cutting in. With Traore on the right cutting in, Jack linking it all up in the middle , then no one would have to be dropped.

I think he's actually better on the right. He doesn't have much of a long range shot on him, so cutting in would be kind of pointless.

Â