Mahmoud 'Trézéguet' Hassan

Demitri_C

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think Targett is fine to be honest. If there's a better option available then sure, go for it. But I think he's very underrated amongst Villa fans

I don't see the problem with Targett. He's not terrible defensively and going forward he's one of our most creative players and links up very well with Grealish. Cash on the other side is more defensive, which means we need someone more effective going forward to play in front of him and Trezeguet is absolutely not that player. He should be an option off the bench and nothing more. I said it in the summer window that we may regret not signing another wide player and hoped I'd be wrong but I can't help thinking we should have got one more in. Let's just hope they have plans for January.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I don't see the problem with Targett. He's not terrible defensively and going forward he's one of our most creative players and links up very well with Grealish. Cash on the other side is more defensive, which means we need someone more effective going forward to play in front of him and Trezeguet is absolutely not that player. He should be an option off the bench and nothing more. I said it in the summer window that we may regret not signing another wide player and hoped I'd be wrong but I can't help thinking we should have got one more in. Let's just hope they have plans for January.

Agree completely. These days the defensive abilities of your fullback is almost second best. They need to contribute offensively and Targett is good at that. He has one of the best understandings with Grealish out of anyone in the team and he's pretty creative for a fullback.

That's not to say he couldn't or shouldn't be improved upon if the option is out there, but it wouldn't be a priority imo.

Wide attacker, depth in central midfield and possibly another striker would be on the agenda for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Agree completely. These days the defensive abilities of your fullback is almost second best. They need to contribute offensively and Targett is good at that. He has one of the best understandings with Grealish out of anyone in the team and he's pretty creative for a fullback.

That's not to say he couldn't or shouldn't be improved upon if the option is out there, but it wouldn't be a priority imo.

Wide attacker, depth in central midfield and possibly another striker would be on the agenda for me.

There was a stat last season where Targett was something like the second most creative full back in the league in terms of chances created. Something along those lines. It's true, we could probably find a left back who is defensively better than him but would they also be offensively better? I don't see how we'd get much better than Targett without spending mega money and why should we do that when there are quite obviously more pressing concerns? Which brings me back to Trezeguet and how we need someone of better quality in his position. That should absolutely be the priority. I don't think I can take many more of those missed chances, poor crosses and generally just not being very good with the ball.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think Targett is fine to be honest. If there's a better option available then sure, go for it. But I think he's very underrated amongst Villa fans

I agree - Targett has come on a lot. He's bulked up a bit and worked on the psychological side of his game - he's not afraid of challenges anymore. 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'd keep him in the side.

Traore has so far looked the best centrally, so I don't see the point of replacing Trez wide.

Traore might come good, but he still has to find his feet in this team. No point forcing it, when it's close to being the only position in the team we have depth.

Not to mention Trez has been solid this season.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

On 30/11/2020 at 23:52, VillaChris said:

He's shown his reliable with the instinctive back post finishes. Less so with the time to think chances.

Can't see it improving really given he's mid 20s now. Will go in same category as likes of Vassell and Gabby who never really improved one on one.

Should've buried the six yard box chance anyway.

Its an interesting observation, whilst it should be obvious, its not really with some players.....I agree with you he does seemed to have cottoned on to just how many goals generally get scored at back posts.

Ray Graydon had fine seasons, just doing that.

I thought Traore was supposed to lever him out, but that doesn't seem to have worked so far, needs a run of games mind.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Its an interesting observation, whilst it should be obvious, its not really with some players.....I agree with you he does seemed to have cottoned on to just how many goals generally get scored at back posts.

Ray Graydon had fine seasons, just doing that.

I thought Traore was supposed to lever him out, but that doesn't seem to have worked so far, needs a run of games mind.

Some wide players are just good at gambling at crosses swinging in from other end, others are just on their heels. Can remember in Albrighton's breakthrough season in 10/11 he scored a couple ghosting in at back post and Downing was excellent at making that sort of run and scored 5-6 that season and missed a few more.

Trez is limited in many ways but can't fault him at all and it's already got him a decent number of goals that we'd be expecting from a 25m winger if we sign one of those in next few years.

• Like 1

Trez was immense in our win against Liverpool, including those two Beckham-like crossfield passes, but... will he ever score a goal for us again?! I'm kidding, more or less, but after scoring numerous great goals last season, this season he's had so many attempts without success: 22 in total, more than any other player in the Premier League this season. I hope he finally breaks this run tomorrow, you never know.

Edited by robby b

Â