Matt Targett

villan-scott

10 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Targett has provided quite a few goals and assists already, quite a few fans are getting on his back for some reason. I think he’s very good

England call up soon then? I wouldn't be holding your breath on that one SGC...

1 hour ago, DeepDish said:

How difficult can it be getting a proper LB? Look at this bunch of players we have had befor Targett:

Neil Taylor
Jordan Amavi
Ally Cissokho
Joe Bennett
Antonio Luna
Eric Lichaj
Enda Stevens
Stephen Warnock

Lichaj was a right back, but we have been known to deploy right backs on the left... or everywhere else for that matter.

Targett isn't that bad, has a superb left-foot, in fact I'd say he's one of our more comfortable players on the ball. If half of our players were as bad as many claim then we wouldn't be one point from safety we'd be stranded at the bottom of the table.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DeepDish said:

How difficult can it be getting a proper LB? Look at this bunch of players we have had befor Targett:

Neil Taylor
Jordan Amavi
Ally Cissokho
Joe Bennett
Antonio Luna
Eric Lichaj
Enda Stevens
Stephen Warnock

Shocking list. We really have wasted money over the year - including this year. 

I'm not getting the hate for Targett.

What I see is someone who gets up the pitch well, links well with Grealish in particular (love it when Targett, Grealish and Hourihane are down the left hand side), can cross a ball, shoot and defensively is competent.

Suddenly, he's (apparently) turned into someone who's never seen a football and should be replaced - and I'm at a  loss for seeing what in his performances are giving that impression.

Don't get me wrong - we aren't playing good football at the moment and Targett is part of that team.....

... but I see that as confidence rather than ability. He's still the best left back I've seen at our club since Bouma and he's only going to get better.

5 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I'm not getting the hate for Targett.

What I see is someone who gets up the pitch well, links well with Grealish in particular (love it when Targett, Grealish and Hourihane are down the left hand side), can cross a ball, shoot and defensively is competent.

Suddenly, he's (apparently) turned into someone who's never seen a football and should be replaced - and I'm at a  loss for seeing what in his performances are giving that impression.

Don't get me wrong - we aren't playing good football at the moment and Targett is part of that team.....

... but I see that as confidence rather than ability. He's still the best left back I've seen at our club since Bouma and he's only going to get better.

Good comparison there to Bouma who was one of my favourite players. It took him a season to really settle in. Some of his first season performances were pretty poor but he went on to become a very consistent player. He is a top bloke too. I really don’t think we will see the best of our players until next season.

19 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Good comparison there to Bouma who was one of my favourite players. It took him a season to really settle in. Some of his first season performances were pretty poor but he went on to become a very consistent player. He is a top bloke too. I really don’t think we will see the best of our players until next season.

Some of our players showed their abilities. Maybe not consistent enough, but you could see what they can offer.

I think many would agree that Targett is our best LB since Bouma (well thats not saying much as its mostly because how bad the players we had), the only one who did better was Bertrand who came on loan. Despite all Targett liabilties, his attacking and linking up with Grealish is a joy to watch.

I think Targett, Guilbert, Engels, Konsa showed their worth, they could turn out to play huge parts for us potentially.

Luiz, Nakamba, showed also huge potentials at times.

Hause and El Ghazi are good squad players potentially.

Heaton and Mings are superb.

In reality, the only questionable signings were Wesley and Trezeguet. Things could change with them, but so far we've seen what make us doubt there abilities.

• Like 1

I think he's atrocious personally, every single time Norwich attacked the other day a cross came over from his side. Poor in the tackle, slow & bad positional play too. I too would rather have Taylor and i never thought i'd say that.

I still think to have any chance this season we need in Jan a new LB, a midfielder in on loan to replace McGinn somehow and a complete new front three. Otherwise we are going down.

Â