Matt Targett

villan-scott

On 27/12/2019 at 18:24, DeepDish said:

How difficult can it be getting a proper LB? Look at this bunch of players we have had befor Targett:

Neil Taylor
Jordan Amavi
Ally Cissokho
Joe Bennett
Antonio Luna
Eric Lichaj
Enda Stevens
Stephen Warnock

The depressing thing about that list is that at least 3 - Amavi, Bennett and Stevens - have gone on to play far better with other clubs than they ever managed at Villa.

So is our problem one of chronic coaching incompetence rather than scouting/recruitment failure?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

The depressing thing about that list is that at least 3 - Amavi, Bennett and Stevens - have gone on to play far better with other clubs than they ever managed at Villa.

So is our problem one of chronic coaching incompetence rather than scouting/recruitment failure?

Combined with lack of patience on behalf of both the club and fans, perhaps. Mark my words: some of the players currently being dismissed as ‘not ever going to be good enough’ on here will have good PL careers after leaving Villa.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Adam2003 said:

Combined with lack of patience on behalf of both the club and fans, perhaps. Mark my words: some of the players currently being dismissed as ‘not ever going to be good enough’ on here will have good PL careers after leaving Villa.

I think that this is spot on. Most of our summer signings are very capable of playing at this level. It is hard for them all trying to learn and find themselves at the same time. We have also massively missed the leadership provided by Mings and SJM in these last few games, let alone their quality. The drop off from SJM to Lansbury for example is enormous.

I also don’t think the constant chopping and changing of players has helped. Smith uses pretty much the same formation and tactics every match. He should stick to the same personnel too so that the likes of Targett can get used to those around him. 

On 27/12/2019 at 18:24, DeepDish said:

How difficult can it be getting a proper LB? Look at this bunch of players we have had befor Targett:

Neil Taylor
Jordan Amavi
Ally Cissokho
Joe Bennett
Antonio Luna
Eric Lichaj
Enda Stevens
Stephen Warnock

Don't forget Keiran Richardson!

One of my least favourite Villa players ever. Clearly a capable footballer but mentally, physically and defensively horrific. I'd call him League One standard in these regards but a capable League One defender presumably knows to not pull-out of challenges, to track their runner and - this is the worst bit - not just stand there and watch just because the attack isn't coming directly through your flank.

Watch the first goal against Watford. Yes it's Konsa's mistake but Targett could make it a two-on-two for the attacker - make it just a bit harder to score. But he literally just watches. He gets done by Sarr by a diagonal, he loses and watches Deeney for his sitter in the first-half, he picks-up yet another mysterious injury (I'm sure he'll start on NYD as he has done every other time he has gone off "injured"). If you're fit enough to start in four days time, you're fit enough to not sat on your arse mid-play. We'll see though.

I can't stand him. I am not a "get-into-em-f**k-em-up" supporter and appreciate tactical aspects of the game. But he is simply a p*ssy and genuinely looks apathetic to our situation. Never stops the cross or gets tight enough (unlike Taylor), bottles challenges constantly. Taylor is so poor going forward but, to be honest, he at least would shore up an incredibly open flank - it's the lesser evil.

He’s one of the current crop of modern full backs who can’t defend to save their lives. The better of such description have some bail out pace to allow them to at least try to attain for their errors. He’s horrifically slow, makes old cuellar from back in the day look rapid.

Very keen to go off injured and then return miraculously a week or two later, no bottle at all

Targett is a coward and bottles it more often than not...2 hours before the match yesterday i said on another forum that targett with all the space he usually leaves behind him would get murdered by sarr...and i was correct..for me he needs dropping to the naughty bench (he is probably out injured for a while anyway)

10 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

There is a very long list of players deemed to be not good enough by the club and very particularly the fans who have gone on to be good or excellent at other clubs. Ashley Westwood anyone? A figure of hate on this forum I seem to remember 😳

On 29/12/2019 at 19:10, Pimlico_Villa said:

Also looks overweight. 

As for him faking hamstring injuries when he isn’t playing well. Laughable. 

Agreed....faking an injury to come off...really!! 🙄

11 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Or maybe fan expectation?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I really wanted Bennett to do well. He was technically excellent.

Poor lad was absolutely hung out to dry by the management: we were sh*t, he was very young, wasn’t quite up to the heat of the predicament we found ourselves in and was exploited by opposition who recognised his struggle. His confidence abandoned him and was eventually sold as scrap.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2019 at 18:42, Dr_Pangloss said:

Terrific today.

On 01/12/2019 at 18:45, av1 said:

Wonderful player. 

On 01/12/2019 at 18:57, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, agree with the consensus, he was excellent forward and back. He's looking like a really good signing.

On 01/12/2019 at 19:31, CosmicVillan said:

Villa's best left back since the Scottish Cafu 

On 01/12/2019 at 20:19, thunderball said:

Excellent today. Very much an integral part of our offensive game, very tidy and smart in his use of the ball, finds good positions too. 

You heard it here first but he could get a call up if he keeps playing like this.

On 01/12/2019 at 21:02, Elton said:

Massively impressed so far. I was underwhelmed by his signing as I hadn’t really seen anything of him and he wasn’t Southampton’s 1st choice LB but he’s proving a bargain. We read he wasn’t  defensively strong or quick but I can’t recall any defensive issues. Looks strong in attack and defence and Southgate is meant to rate him from his England u21 days, so maybe he’ll be in with a chance of a call up, unless Southgate thinks he already has his full quota of Villa players..

On 02/12/2019 at 01:05, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Classy, tidy footballer. Seems like the more Deano and the lads work with him the better he becomes. 

I don't think he'll be good enough for England for a while as they are fully stocked, but he may well get a call up one day if he can sustain this kind of form. 

United put James on him, who is a fantastic player by the way, to try and do him for pace, but Matty stood up. I'm a big fan of his potential. 

On 02/12/2019 at 08:17, Danishlad said:

seems very good going forward and doing well defensively. I hope this continues.

How things change in a few weeks. 

14 hours ago, thunderball said:

Some might say fickle

HAHA... usually people are accused of never changing their opinion (on web boards like this), but here you should hold the same opinion on a player no matter what, otherwise you're fickle.

I'm sure you guys love Villalad21, he sticks to his opinions.

Â