Matt Targett

villan-scott

He actually played a lot better today - wasn't afraid of getting his shorts dirty and had a real challenge against an in-form Deulofeu, who he managed to keep pretty quiet. 

I've been critical of him but I hope that the injury he sustained doesn't discourage him from putting in a decent shift again. 

Yeah, he was better than against Norwich, though still not great. I suspect the people knocking him will soon be back to missing him again after Taylor has a run of games. Whether Targett is good enough or not longer-term, I'm not completely convinced.

I was so angry with him since the second goal that killed us was preventable if he'd got out of his comfort zone and not let the ball pass him by. No fight at all in him.

I only saw it once so stand corrected if I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

He actually played a lot better today - wasn't afraid of getting his shorts dirty and had a real challenge against an in-form Deulofeu, who he managed to keep pretty quiet. 

I've been critical of him but I hope that the injury he sustained doesn't discourage him from putting in a decent shift again. 

He was up against Sarr. Deulofeu was on the other wing turning Elhammady inside out.

He was alright today. Noticed a trend last few games at least of teams targeting his side with cross field diagonals to the winger, he leaves them in so much space.

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

He was up against Sarr. Deulofeu was on the other wing turning Elhammady inside out.

He was alright today. Noticed a trend last few games at least of teams targeting his side with cross field diagonals to the winger, he leaves them in so much space.

Did you see him ball-watch when the winger got one of those diagonals and moved inside from in front of him? That was criminal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Did you see him ball-watch when the winger got one of those diagonals and moved inside from in front of him? That was criminal.

Yeah did it against Southampton too. Concentration span of gold fish. He wasn't too bad today but does appear to be made out of papier-mache. 

still think he's the best LB we have had in years, for what its worth.

But, the hamstring issue seems to be a real thing, 2nd or 3rd injury related to that this season already?, doesnt sound good.

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

still think he's the best LB we have had in years, for what its worth.

But, the hamstring issue seems to be a real thing, 2nd or 3rd injury related to that this season already?, doesnt sound good.

More of a strain/twinge according to Twitterati. Question marks over his mentality for me. Perhaos I'm being too harsh... I hope so! 🤦‍♂️

Obviously impossible to know how severe any of his injuries on the pitch have been but there's been a few situations now where he's "given up" rather than fight through it.

Now this doesn't even have to be a negative, we all remember what happened when Mings tried to play through injury and cost us the game.

On the top of my head I just remember the head injury and this latest one but I'm sure it's happened a few times more than those 2 cause I've thought about it a few times before.

He's not the only one who I get the feeling sometimes doesn't want to be there. Wesley and El Ghazi also looked like they wanted to get subbed when it wasn't working.

Not saying they are feigning injuries but do they have the drive and mentality needed? It's not going to get any easier.

Hope this latest one isn't too serious as he's still our best LB:

3 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Surely one of the key ingredients for a defender is that they can actually defend. 

Apparently the modern ful back doesnt like to defend. Not just Targett is a few others like this

• Like 1

He gets no cover when Grealish plays down the same flank because Jack always drifts infield searching for the ball. Targett has the whole left side to cover himself so maybe that should be taken into account? 

A prime example of this was the Leicester game where Ricardo - the Leicester right back - was awarded man of the match. Surely that says it all? 

4 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Also looks overweight. 

As for him faking hamstring injuries when he isn’t playing well. Laughable. 

He is out with a hamstring injury now. almost as pathetic as suggesting we boo Wesley

21 hours ago, sne said:

Obviously impossible to know how severe any of his injuries on the pitch have been but there's been a few situations now where he's "given up" rather than fight through it.

Now this doesn't even have to be a negative, we all remember what happened when Mings tried to play through injury and cost us the game.

On the top of my head I just remember the head injury and this latest one but I'm sure it's happened a few times more than those 2 cause I've thought about it a few times before.

He's not the only one who I get the feeling sometimes doesn't want to be there. Wesley and El Ghazi also looked like they wanted to get subbed when it wasn't working.

Not saying they are feigning injuries but do they have the drive and mentality needed? It's not going to get any easier.

Hope this latest one isn't too serious as he's still our best LB:

You're right to be a little suspicious of Targett and AEG I really believe they bottle it in tough games. Sarr was getting the better of Targett over and over just like Aarons did against Norwich, still our best option at LB but weak as piss!  Unless Hause fills in Taylor will be in for Burnley god help us.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

You're right to be a little suspicious of Targett and AEG I really believe they bottle it in tough games. Sarr was getting the better of Targett over and over just like Aarons did against Norwich, still our best option at LB but weak as piss!  Unless Hause fills in Taylor will be in for Burnley god help us.

14 ****ing million.....no wonder we are in the ****

Â