Matt Targett

villan-scott

If top 6 is the aim for the next 4-5 years Targett isn't our future left back i am afraid. A bit too lightweight, i don't trust him defending in 1v1 situations. Adama Traore was a horror show.

But he will do for the time being.

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If top 6 is the aim for the next 4-5 years Targett isn't our future left back i am afraid. A bit too lightweight, i don't trust him defending in 1v1 situations. Adama Traore was a horror show.

If the top 6 is the aim, I don't think anyone in the squad bar Jack is good enough at the moment.

12 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Adama on his day could be a horror to any full back. 

On 09/12/2019 at 11:05, hippo said:

He's ok - but lacks pace which exposes him against the better sides.

Yup noted that too whenever I've seen him play and will need to be replaced if Villa stay up this season.

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Is Targett a very good player for us? Absolutely. If he a top 6 left back? No. But top 6 is not something that will be on our radar for many, many years. 

Maybe - but if we keep paying £14m for such players its going to be very tough and expensive to progress.

The likes of Leicester and wolves have been knocking on the door for top six not many seasons after promotion - its do able.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Maybe - but if we keep paying £14m for such players its going to be very tough and expensive to progress.

The likes of Leicester and wolves have been knocking on the door for top six not many seasons after promotion - its do able.

We were a newly-promoted side who could easily have finished a distant last this season. Nobody good enough for a top six side was coming to us last summer. 

If we can find a better replacement in the summer, then great, of course we should go for them. But that's a summer problem when we know what league we will be in. January is for fixing the gaping holes, and Targett isn't a priority now. 

On 02/12/2019 at 21:43, hippo said:

We look more solid with him in the team. For me he lacks pace to be a real top notch FB. But for where we are I'm happy with him.

Its an improvement on what we had for me....I suppose if you want a Ricardo Periera, you have to spend 25 mill Euros like Leicester.

24 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I think he is a good fullback. You can tell Jack loves playing with him. Targett constantly overlaps which lets jack has 1v1s.

I know.....His partner's  not happy.😀

• Haha 1

On 10/12/2019 at 09:50, TRO said:

Its an improvement on what we had for me....I suppose if you want a Ricardo Periera, you have to spend 25 mill Euros like Leicester.

I seemed like a lot of money at the time for a right back but he has been fantastic & probably doubled in value. Lets be honest though the transfer market in general is a mine field. I think Targett has been  a decent buy though.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 17:50, TRO said:

Didn't Leicester a couple of years ago buy a Wesley of their own? What happened to him? 

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Didn't Leicester a couple of years ago buy a Wesley of their own? What happened to him? 

Slimani cost £30m and Musa cost £20m in 16/17

Iheanacho was £28m in 17/18

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yeah Musa was the one. Didn't he come from Turkish football? Time to google. 

Russia.

And tbf they pretty much got their money back when he moved to Saudi Arabia.

They might take a hit on Slimani thou. But he's having a great season on loan at Monaco so maybe not.

Â