Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Our best left back is Mings, he was always a left back and seeing how good Hause has been I'd try him there.

The last time Mings played a league game at LB was a 12 minute sub cameo for Bournemouth against Leicester on the 25th of August 2015.

He did play a game as LB in the League Cup against Blackburn in September last year but I can't see how it makes him our best LB.

What are you basing this on?

He was moved to CB because he injured his knees and can no longer play in the way he did before, And that was 4 and a half years ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Wes's passing is very underrated because everyone is too busy hating him to notice anything good he does. 

The crossing last night from MT and co was worse than I have to watch in the A-League. It looked non league it was that terrible. 

Targett has provided quite a few goals and assists already, quite a few fans are getting on his back for some reason. I think he’s very good

5 minutes ago, sne said:

The last time Mings played a league game at LB was a 12 minute sub cameo for Bournemouth against Leicester on the 25th of August 2015.

He did play a game as LB in the League Cup against Blackburn in September last year but I can't see how it makes him our best LB.

What are you basing this on?

He was moved to CB because he injured his knees and can no longer play in the way he did before, And that was 4 and a half years ago.

Thanks for the info.

Based it completely on the ability of Targett and Taylor, we are so vulnerable there and I think it would be a viable option to shore up the defence. Hause has looked solid at CB in my humble option and if we cannot get better out of Targett I would jump at it,  better still, sell Taylor and recruit an upgrade on all of them, keeping Targett as back up and give him time to work on his game. 

I do like some aspects of Targett's game and would love him to be more complete but we are in a battle for survival and time is a luxury we do not have.

As for Mings knees, would he cope, I don't know, but the thought of him there along side Hause feels solid defensively to me, or as someone else said in another thread, maybe Mings at CB and Hause at LB.

How do you see this position?

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Thanks for the info.

Based it completely on the ability of Targett and Taylor, we are so vulnerable there and I think it would be a viable option to shore up the defence. Hause has looked solid at CB in my humble option and if we cannot get better out of Targett I would jump at it,  better still, sell Taylor and recruit an upgrade on all of them, keeping Targett as back up and give him time to work on his game. 

I do like some aspects of Targett's game and would love him to be more complete but we are in a battle for survival and time is a luxury we do not have.

As for Mings knees, would he cope, I don't know, but the thought of him there along side Hause feels solid defensively to me, or as someone else said in another thread, maybe Mings at CB and Hause at LB.

This I'd be willing to try. 

Especially if Grealish is playing centrally again as the need for the LB to overlap would not be as high.

I just don't see Mings body holding up at LB. He is too big and has previous issues with his knees. He's also looked cumbersome and frankly a bit slow and wasteful on the ball for the latter part of this season.

I suspect he's been carrying an injury for some time before he got injured more severely.

As for Targett he is OK, but he is slow and just like Taylor did he is allowing the wingers too much time and space.

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Thanks for the info.

Target was poor yesterday but he was offered absolutely zero support from either Marvellous or AEG/Trez. We seem incapable of retaining a good defensive shape when we lose possession. It must be driving Dean and JT mad! It is so easy for any opposition midfield to get beyond ours and attack the flanks at will.

• Like 2

I’m underwhelmed with Targett, I think he’s pretty poor defensively. Lots of examples yesterday of Norwich creating opportunities down our left side with Targett seemingly easily bypassed. Unpopular opinion but I’d go with Taylor or Hause at Watford with the simple instruction to do defensive work, don’t concern yourself with trying to create, just look after the opposition right sided attacker. We have to be more solid defensively a lot more of the time. I think we have to accept that we have one LB who can attack but is a poor defender, and another LB who cannot create at all but is better defensively. In times ahead we’ll need to buy or produce a better LB. I think that when everyone is fit there may be a case in some games for playing Konsa & Hause as the LB& RB either side of Mings & Engels to give us a more physical back 4, let the likes of jack & ElGhazi etc do the creating whilst remaining strong at the back. Staying in the Premier League this season trumps philosophy, and we need to eek out every single point, including games where we’re not expected to. A lot of us supporters thus far this season seem to have accepted getting nothing from games such as City as absolutely fine. That has to change. 

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

Somebody a few weeks back compared him to Warnock and its very accurate. Why is Left Back our blind spot, Hutton was probably the best in a long time

No not really. Warnock by the time he joined Villa was a experienced premier league player with Liverpool and Blackburn and had  a few England caps. Targett was the reserve Southampton left back.

7 hours ago, sne said:

This I'd be willing to try. 

Especially if Grealish is playing centrally again as the need for the LB to overlap would not be as high.

I just don't see Mings body holding up at LB. He is too big and has previous issues with his knees. He's also looked cumbersome and frankly a bit slow and wasteful on the ball for the latter part of this season.

I suspect he's been carrying an injury for some time before he got injured more severely.

As for Targett he is OK, but he is slow and just like Taylor did he is allowing the wingers too much time and space.

Surprised by this, Mings is very quick.

Just now, Thug said:

Surprised by this, Mings is very quick.

By fullback standards I'd call him pretty slow.

Pretty quick for a big CB perhaps, but he's looked slow in resent weeks.

He had a poor game against Norwich, he is short over the first few yards compared to most attacking players. He could do with spending sometime working on his acceleration. He is the best we have at present and needs to hold his position. When Mings gets back, if his form dips then I would look at Hause there.

Bournemouth signed Mings as a left-back from Ipswich he was rated as the best in the division, some Ipswich fans rated him better than Creswell who he replaced. But at Bournemouth he suffered a serious injury and they felt that he was no longer capable of playing at left-back which is why they moved him central defence and why he didn't play much for them, because they already had established players in that position. Before he joined us he'd actually played more games in his career at left-back than he had done as a central defender. He's best central defender so I think we should play him there regardless.

Teams have worked us out now . We play very narrow and leave our fullbacks exposed. Until we defend and cover properly don't matter who you play at LB and RB. we cant keep blaming individuals who cant adapt to a system the coach wants .

IE   4  3- 3 give the ball to Jack and see what happens.     

28 minutes ago, DeepDish said:

How difficult can it be getting a proper LB? Look at this bunch of players we have had befor Targett:

Neil Taylor
Jordan Amavi
Ally Cissokho
Joe Bennett
Antonio Luna
Eric Lichaj
Enda Stevens
Stephen Warnock

Tony Moon! I want him back!

Â