Matt Targett

villan-scott

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I reckon with a full season under his belt he could improve, he's English too so goes for our English contingent requirement.

Like him a lot, excellent signing overall I think.

Completely agree.  He looks very much a conspicuously comfortable and educated modern full-back in the making.

I actually think one slight mistake in our recruitment was the necessity, for our shape, our tempo, and our organisation, for all our signings to not just click but hit the ground running.  So many players are good enough on the ball and intelligent enough to really improve one another.  We just rather need all of them to really work for each other at the moment.  Which isn't quite happening.  But Targett seems solid.  And solid is a great quality over 38 tough games.

I do hope that the loss of discipline (from many of our players to be fair) was symptomatic of the frustration of three games on the back foot in quick succession.  But Targett doesn't strike me as a wally.  The face don't match the dude.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Russia.

And tbf they pretty much got their money back when he moved to Saudi Arabia.

They might take a hit on Slimani thou. But he's having a great season on loan at Monaco so maybe not.

We will not come close to making back the 30 mil spent on Slimani or the 22 mil spent on Adrien Silva. We've made our share of mistakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

We will not come close to making back the 30 mil spent on Slimani or the 22 mil spent on Adrien Silva. We've made our share of mistakes.

Adrien Silva is a bizarre one, you tried so hard to get him and then rarely played him bit like us and Kalinic. Was never really a fan from what I saw for Portugal

• Like 1

Very average, will probably in two years be added to our incredibly forgettable list of Left backs in last decade (and that's a kind description given how many of them played).

I had my doubts for simple reason he couldn't get a regular place in an awful Southampton team in last two years.

• Like 1

Alongside Anwar as the most pathetic today for me. Coward.

How can you possibly be jogging back for that first goal? Have you given up because someone (Shane Long!) is about to have shot? Yes, is the answer, he'd given up. Oh, but Heaton has sav... oh look it's in anyway. 

Pitiful. They went at him loads today and got plenty of joy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Powderpuff player.

Don't get the hype around him at all.

Me either.  He's really slow, and always out of position.  Can join in with attacks but is rubbish at the actual defending part of the game.  Southampton must be pissing themselves that we paid as much as we did.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Risso said:

Me either.  He's really slow, and always out of position.  Can join in with attacks but is rubbish at the actual defending part of the game.  Southampton must be pissing themselves that we paid as much as we did.

Their manager said he wouldn't even be a starter for them this season...

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

We cannot have two liabilities as FBs. Either him or guilbert needs to be benched. Matt is lucky to have Taylor as competition.

The problem with this is that if you look up the word 'liability' in the dictionary then you will see a picture of Neil Taylor.

1 hour ago, Risso said:

I remember reading a Saints forum and the general feeling was that nobody cared he was being sold and instead they were happy some mug was willing to pay ~£13M for him.   Some of them didn’t even see him as backup to Bertrand and thought Sam McQueen was the better option. 

He’s a Championship standard left back if I’ve ever seen one. 

I think he is a very decent squad player, however we need a better fullback than him.

As our back up full back I would be happy with him. Problem is we paid 14 million for him was it?

Have we ever had 2 great fullbacks at once, like ever?

They are crucial to the modern game.

I've said before and it's unpopular opinion but I wouldn't be averse to buying another.

A starting Left Back, and back up for Guibert.

He is not the finished article, and this is the problem, most the time you buy a player from a lower/mid table Premier League team, there is a reason they are letting them go.

Which is why, as much as people cry for "Premier League experience"

I'm sure we could have gotten a better Left Back than Matt Targett for what we paid, elsewhere!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

He's not got a lot of heart, which is the downside for me. He's fine when we're doing well but he doesn't influence a game when the chips are down - he doesn't have the fire to take the game by the scruff of the neck or run through walls for the team. 

Â