Matt Targett

villan-scott

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Another mystery signing.  A bit part player in a poor PL team for £15m. Someone having a laugh. 

No mystery - Smith likes to play his full backs high, and Targett is very good in attack. Set up El Ghazi for what should have been a goal today. Can't really criticise his crossing ability, and a lot of his short passing in the final third is good as well.

But sadly he is poor defensively, and relies on the LCB and DM covering his backside.

Not sure £15m is all that much for a player of his age and proven ability at this level. But we really need to replace Taylor with someone better than both Taylor and Targett, so that Targett isn't a guaranteed starter even when he's stinking the place out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'd be tempted to give Hause a go out there if this is currently our best option. 

When Mings is fit, I would play Hause left back in the tougher games, Targett in the weaker games. 

Taylor we need find a club for him in January

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

No mystery - Smith likes to play his full backs high, and Targett is very good in attack. Set up El Ghazi for what should have been a goal today. Can't really criticise his crossing ability, and a lot of his short passing in the final third is good as well.

But sadly he is poor defensively, and relies on the LCB and DM covering his backside.

Not sure £15m is all that much for a player of his age and proven ability at this level. But we really need to replace Taylor with someone better than both Taylor and Targett, so that Targett isn't a guaranteed starter even when he's stinking the place out.

Maybe but there are loads of full backs in world football who can get forward and get in a decent cross. As much as I don't rate him a huge amount Patrick Van Arnholt to me is a much better left back than Targett and probably wouldn't have cost that much more, can't remember what Palace signed him for.

I like Digne at Everton. Lots of top level experience, 30 caps for France, 33 games for Roma in 15-16 etc. Everton signed him for 18m for Barca.

To me that's the quality of player I want us to sign in next two seasons.

About par then but looking at Palace PVA is a crucial part of their counter attacking ability.

Aaron Cresswell at West Ham is another one I've always liked, steady type but can get forward and gets crosses in and scores the odd goal. He is a regular for them this season (pretty sure Masaku was their regular LB last season) so guess there's little chance they'd move him on.

For 15m we could've done much better anyway. The one summer signing I was most underwhelmed about.

9 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's funny but I was watching with my brother who is a Saints fan and he was quite impressed with him.  His attacking ability balances the team better imo and worth the defensive lapses.  I'd like us to sign another left back in January as competition though.

How come he couldn't get a regular game ahead of Bertrand for them according to your brother?

Edited by VillaChris

20 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

A mixture of Bertrand being consistent and Targett having some fitness issues.  Nothing that unusual.

The only issue I have there is Bertrand is hardly some world class left back. We had him on loan and he was average. Did alright at Southampton for a year or two but tbh that was more Southampton having a cracking all round team. He's now about fifth choice England LB behind Chilwell, Rose, Luke Shaw etc.

Also on rare occasions I have a look on one of the Southampton forums (think it's called Saints web) they always seem to be slagging him and Cedric Soares and desperate for both to leave.

The fact Targett couldn't get a regular game against declined Bertrand did worry me a lot.

Edit:

Here's the thread from this time last year

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?60529-Ryan-Bertrand#.XgVQrfzgrIU

He's declined since we got him and clearly doesn't give two sh1ts.

Not true, he's declined in the last 18 months, whether thats due to interest, fitness or talent...was excellent under Koeman and arguably the best LB in the league that season.

Best player? Not exactly a high bar these days but I don't think he has performed any where near his best for a long time. Better than Targett for sure but surely we could find a left back better than Targett in January.

As for best player that's clearly Lemina by some margin.

:lol:

Best player? Not exactly a high bar these days but I don't think he has performed any where near his best for a long time. Better than Targett for sure but surely we could find a left back better than Targett in January.

As for best player that's clearly Lemina by some margin.

Bertrand to Targett is a massive downgrade to an already poor team.

Simple as that. Bertrand definitely our best defender and also one of our main chance creators as well.

Targett is not a PL standard player.

Few sample comments there anyway.

Edited by VillaChris

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Very poor today and was a genuine lol when Grealish shouted at him for yet another comically bad miss pass.

That was hilarious but Jack can't do that on the reg. Do your best to encourage Jacko.

It was a great explosion of frustration though, really funny. We hadn't had the ball for about 5 mins and the simple 20 yard pass into him was such an easy ball, but Targett rushed it because he's a big soft jellyfish.

I don't think Jack would have gone quite that mad if it was Taylor or Wes for example who are touch and go to make that pass under a bit of pressure.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Maybe but there are loads of full backs in world football who can get forward and get in a decent cross. As much as I don't rate him a huge amount Patrick Van Arnholt to me is a much better left back than Targett and probably wouldn't have cost that much more, can't remember what Palace signed him for.

I like Digne at Everton. Lots of top level experience, 30 caps for France, 33 games for Roma in 15-16 etc. Everton signed him for 18m for Barca.

To me that's the quality of player I want us to sign in next two seasons.

I suspect an £18m quality player in summer 2018 window would have cost £25m+ in summer 2019 window, so we're a fair way above Targett's level there (i.e. would have been a record signing for us). Van Aanholt is 29, so just not the kind of player Purslow wants us to buy (Heaton excepted).

I'd like us to chase that kind of quality as well - we just need to be realistic as fans about how much investment that's going to require, and FFP means we won't be able to do it overnight.

I guess my point is that while I have reservations about Targett (and have ever since we signed him), I can see the logic of the transfer, and I don't think his signing has been a disaster. We just need to replace Taylor, and give Targett better competition for his place.

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

That was hilarious but Jack can't do that on the reg. Do your best to encourage Jacko.

It was a great explosion of frustration though, really funny. We hadn't had the ball for about 5 mins and the simple 20 yard pass into him was such an easy ball, but Targett rushed it because he's a big soft jellyfish.

I don't think Jack would have gone quite that mad if it was Taylor or Wes for example who are touch and go to make that pass under a bit of pressure.

Wes's passing is very underrated because everyone is too busy hating him to notice anything good he does. 

The crossing last night from MT and co was worse than I have to watch in the A-League. It looked non league it was that terrible. 

Â