Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

So great this isn't it.

Has anyone got worse under Smith? Maybe marginally Kodjia? He's never really had a run though, what was being asked of him changed a lot.

What a coach.

Think of that 45 minutes Kodjia put in against Brentford. His best performance in a Villa shirt. I thought he was quality when deployed last season, but it takes more in the PL, evidently. So he even utilised Kodjia effectively, then recognised when it was too big a step up for him. 

He's brilliant. 

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Think of that 45 minutes Kodjia put in against Brentford. His best performance in a Villa shirt. I thought he was quality when deployed last season, but it takes more in the PL, evidently. So he even utilised Kodjia effectively, then recognised when it was too big a step up for him. 

He's brilliant. 

Do you mean Rotherham? What a night that was.

---

On topic, Targett is all technique and not much athleticism. He'll never be a flying full back, but if he can stay solid defensively, his quality on the ball means he can get involved and cross without getting round his man.

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Do you mean Rotherham? What a night that was.

---

On topic, Targett is all technique and not much athleticism. He'll never be a flying full back, but if he can stay solid defensively, his quality on the ball means he can get involved and cross without getting round his man.

I do! One that I missed being at, still annoys me to this day. Though I lost my shit anyway! 

Funnily enough that was probably the best thing Neil Taylor did in a Villa shirt, be a part of that goal. Targett may not be the finished article, but he's clearly a Premier League footballer at least.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2019 at 21:43, hippo said:

We look more solid with him in the team. For me he lacks pace to be a real top notch FB. But for where we are I'm happy with him.

lacks pace?, you did see him catch up to Vardy for that last goal right? (but not quite get there)

Personally i think his pace is absolutely fine, i dont know why people think he is slow? (yeah he isnt rapid, but he isnt slow)

Awful tackle today, should of gone. He always looks to get forward which is great but against a top side know to break quickly he should know or indeed be told to get your defensive head on! Noticed as well in the last few games he positions much too centrally leaving opposition wide man in acres of space. Needs to position 2 or 3 steps to his left to allow quicker close down without leaving gap between himself and Mings for potential through ball.

Anyone else think he seems to go absent when he's up against it? Few times today he was caught in possession and just jogged back. Also seems to get injuries which allow him to be subbed off when we're behind. Prob just coincidence but I'm not convinced he's a man for when the chips are down.....

• Like 1

Gets ripped a new one whenever he comes up against anyone decent - Pereira, Traore, Willian. Starting to see why he struggled to get into Southampton's team as defensively he looks like he really struggles. Certainly an area of the team we will need to look at upgrading next summer if we stay up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tommytenjobs said:

Anyone else think he seems to go absent when he's up against it? Few times today he was caught in possession and just jogged back. Also seems to get injuries which allow him to be subbed off when we're behind. Prob just coincidence but I'm not convinced he's a man for when the chips are down.....

dissappeared against wolves early on with "concussion"

his sprinting stats certainly go through the roof when his number comes up on the led board..

11 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Gets ripped a new one whenever he comes up against anyone decent - Pereira, Traore, Willian. Starting to see why he struggled to get into Southampton's team as defensively he looks like he really struggles. Certainly an area of the team we will need to look at upgrading next summer if we stay up. 

10 million in the prem gets you a player of that value - of course he's going to struggle against players like Willian and Pereira, who are some of the best in the league in their respective positions. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

10 million in the prem gets you a player of that value - of course he's going to struggle against players like Willian and Pereira, who are some of the best in the league in their respective positions. 

Which is why I said we need to upgrade if we want to make waves in this division. If we want to battle relegation every season, then yeah I guess Targett's your man.

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

Which is why I said we need to upgrade if we want to make waves in this division. If we want to battle relegation every season, then yeah I guess Targett's your man.

You can't upgrade all at once, he was an upgrade on what we had and he's fine for midtable IMO. Not a priority. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

What areas would you say are a priority?

Attack, for me. I'd like a striker and a winger. I also wouldn't mind a Matic-type CDM, big physical bastard because we don't have that option at the moment. 

• Like 1

Â