Matt Targett

villan-scott

And to think some people were debating why targett should replace Taylor....madness.

Looks a class player for me, so good as a modern full back, and an assist for him today.

I don't remember the last time I could look at both our full backs and think.....class players.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

And to think some people were debating why targett should replace Taylor....madness.

👍:crylaugh:

Massively impressed so far. I was underwhelmed by his signing as I hadn’t really seen anything of him and he wasn’t Southampton’s 1st choice LB but he’s proving a bargain. We read he wasn’t  defensively strong or quick but I can’t recall any defensive issues. Looks strong in attack and defence and Southgate is meant to rate him from his England u21 days, so maybe he’ll be in with a chance of a call up, unless Southgate thinks he already has his full quota of Villa players..

I think Chilwell is an excellent player, and probably a level or two above Targett, so I don't expect Targett to be getting into the England team on a regular basis at any point in the forseeable. It wouldn't be completely unthinkable for him to get a chance in a low-stakes friendly at some point if he keeps his good form going.

• Like 3

Classy, tidy footballer. Seems like the more Deano and the lads work with him the better he becomes. 

I don't think he'll be good enough for England for a while as they are fully stocked, but he may well get a call up one day if he can sustain this kind of form. 

United put James on him, who is a fantastic player by the way, to try and do him for pace, but Matty stood up. I'm a big fan of his potential. 

11 hours ago, thunderball said:

Excellent today. Very much an integral part of our offensive game, very tidy and smart in his use of the ball, finds good positions too. 

You heard it here first but he could get a call up if he keeps playing like this.

Woah, I said it first a couple of weeks ago. Said he is better than that waster Rose and he is better than Bertrand so unless Shaw gets fit targett should really be England's back up left back. 

He's working out darn well Targett is, considering the Southampton fans were saying we got done over the transfer.

He's a very good LB and knows how to attack down his flank as well as link with others.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Football is a simple game sometimes, you look, see a player and either pass it to him or whip it into a space where he is going to attack like against Newcastle.

I wish Neil Taylor when he was younger was introduced to a football.

I think Targett is making it look simple. Actually some of the stuff he is doing is really clever. Like Jack, he weights his passes extremely well and is very good at bending the ball around defenders. I would not like to be a right back dealing with those two.

14 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Classy, tidy footballer. Seems like the more Deano and the lads work with him the better he becomes. 

So great this isn't it.

Has anyone got worse under Smith? Maybe marginally Kodjia? He's never really had a run though, what was being asked of him changed a lot.

What a coach.

Â