Matt Targett

villan-scott

11 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Gets ripped a new one whenever he comes up against anyone decent - Pereira, Traore, Willian. Starting to see why he struggled to get into Southampton's team as defensively he looks like he really struggles. Certainly an area of the team we will need to look at upgrading next summer if we stay up. 

..and Southampton and Bertrand are flying at the moment ;)

I don't think we need to upgrade on Targett. A few games ago people were waxing lyrical about him having 2 assists and 1 goal from left-back. He's good enough for a mid-table team (which we aspire to be, let's be fair), and Taylor is the player that needs replacing, not Targett.

We're not going to see the best of him against the Top 6, so let's see how he does after we play our December and January games.

I hope we bring in a Guilbert-type gamble in the summer. Someone who has the raw attributes to be good, won't cost the world, but will provide good competition for Targett.

• Like 2

Bertrand only played one more game than Targett for Southampton last season, the main reason their fans didn't rate him was because he was playing as a left wing-back, they were relying in him as their main thread down the left hand side he doesn't thrive in that position, but when he plays in a back four he's better as he's showed with Fulham and is showing promising signs of with us as well. Players like Pereira, Traore, and Willian will give anyone a tough time, even left-backs at the very top clubs.

Could have should have had another assist. I like him a lot, he probably doesn't have the engine a modern fullback needs but I think he is going to get better and better. For a 24 year old he hasn't played a lot of football -  he needs a good 30 games and get his fitness up to speed,  I don't there has been a game this season where he hasn't gone down for a sustained period or picked up a knock.

The getting sick on the sidelines here and Southampton, and yesterday he went off after a mad sprint back on the Vardy goal. i don't even think he was injured, just physically done. He needs work, a lot of work on his physical attributes.

He's a footballer though, he's a proper footballer.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

Someone on here made a very good observation when they said he reminds them of Gareth Barry, good point, I can see the similarities, his playing style is definitely suggestive to me of a cultured midfielder but playing at left-back.

Edit: Just realised it was me...

On 27/08/2019 at 22:18, useless said:

He reminds me of Gareth Barry.

Edited by useless
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Attack, for me. I'd like a striker and a winger. I also wouldn't mind a Matic-type CDM, big physical bastard because we don't have that option at the moment. 

Striker absolutely 100%, we need an out-ball and Wesley should not be leading the line for us. I personally thought Nakamba has looked OK up to now but yesterday looked off the pace. Personally I think we need another player who can carry the ball like Jack, we're far too reliant on him and we need someone to take the pressure off. 

Targett will be fine for this season but I think defensively he's too weak. Compare him to Guilbert who can defend and attack and got the better of Saint Maximin and that is why I think we should look at alternatives next summer, but of course I'd keep Targett in the squad. 

18 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

..and Southampton and Bertrand are flying at the moment ;)

I don't think we need to upgrade on Targett. A few games ago people were waxing lyrical about him having 2 assists and 1 goal from left-back. He's good enough for a mid-table team (which we aspire to be, let's be fair), and Taylor is the player that needs replacing, not Targett.

We're not going to see the best of him against the Top 6, so let's see how he does after we play our December and January games.

I hope we bring in a Guilbert-type gamble in the summer. Someone who has the raw attributes to be good, won't cost the world, but will provide good competition for Targett.

If we aspire to be a midtable team, fine, but Smith and Grealish need to stop saying in interviews we're aiming for Europe in the next couple of seasons then and just be realistic. Just confuses us as fans and makes us think we're more ambitious than we are. 

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

If we aspire to be a midtable team, fine, but Smith and Grealish need to stop saying in interviews we're aiming for Europe in the next couple of seasons then and just be realistic. Just confuses us as fans and makes us think we're more ambitious than we are. 

I'd say that Smith and his team have convinced the squad that European places is the aim.

Don't you think that there's an element there of keeping players like Grealish happy, by saying that Europe is ultimately the aim in the next few season. Who knows, it could keep him here an extra season than it would if Smith just negatively said "Survival is the aim, then over the next 2 seasons we hope to be as good as Crystal Palace!"

18 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

You conflate 'in the next couple of seasons' with 'now'? 

21 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I'd say that Smith and his team have convinced the squad that European places is the aim.

Don't you think that there's an element there of keeping players like Grealish happy, by saying that Europe is ultimately the aim in the next few season. Who knows, it could keep him here an extra season than it would if Smith just negatively said "Survival is the aim, then over the next 2 seasons we hope to be as good as Crystal Palace!"

Possibly, but I'd rather we just said nothing of our ambitions and did our talking on the pitch. 

Just having rich owners doesn't mean an awful lot these days anyway, particularly with FFP and most other top flight clubs having pots of money. What it comes down to is astute recruitment and we seem to very bad at getting this right.  

The best left back I’ve seen in VP for god knows how long? Bertrand was good but I think Targett is a real footballer. I wasn’t that happy with his signing and thought he could be one of PL rejects, but what do I know? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hippo said:

He's ok - but lacks pace which exposes him against the better sides.

This is where I'm at as well. 
I like Targett, he's a decent player, but if we really want to improve, eventually he will need to be replaced (As will Guilbert).
Has some solid attributes and definitely worth a spot in this side.

Can he play upfront?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This is where I'm at as well. 
I like Targett, he's a decent player, but if we really want to improve, eventually he will need to be replaced (As will Guilbert).
Has some solid attributes and definitely worth a spot in this side.

Can he play upfront?

We can improve without changing them, they’re really good. Could do with backups to compete with them.

If we improve our forward line, and have a game changers on the bench I think that could be helpful for the team.

We have a quality midfield, but lightweight. Maybe could do with a big and strong midfielder.

Our left side currently is a joy to watch. Targett is giving a great chances which no one is scoring. El Ghazi himself missed one yesterday, and one against Newcastle. I think Targett is one of our best signings last summer.

When Targett is bad, he's really, really bad.  He's OK going forward, but is slower than continental drift and the site of him plodding after Vardy yesterday would have been funny if it didn't then lead to a goal.  Why do we find it so hard to sign left backs who aren't all as dodgy as hell?

Really, honestly, genuine question.

Are people saying he is slow just saying it because others say it?, because I'm really confused why people are saying this.

Yeah he's not "fast", but he's definitely not slow.

Â