Matt Targett

villan-scott

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

But I also agree with this, the aim in the transfer market should be to create competition for places - instead of buying Young as a backup to Targett, we needed a player who could potentially displace him long term. Targett would be a very good squad player.

Agreed.

Also I thought that Young was bought as backup, to be used seldom and as necessary. I did not expect him to have such prominent roles.

Problem is, all the players look crap compared to last season. Literally they’ve all turned crap this season. Makes me wonder if it’s Smith & his new crew’s methods that are the issue rather than some of the players. Cash, Watkins, Mings, McGinn etc… all been a bit plop this season. Plus the new guys struggling to a lot in. Something has gone on imo that we aren’t privy to. 

Dean has always neglected the physical requirements of the league. We are totally powderpuff physically and Targett is the worst of them. He is a tidy footballer with no mental or physical strength whatsoever 

• Like 3

The player i was most disappointed tonight was Targett.

He had the chance tonight to take the bull by the horns, really show that his game is all about the more disciplined 4 at the back...but he was a shadow!

I lost count of the times he was played into decent space only for him to stop in his tracks and knock the ball 5 yards; What has happened to him?

Young simply has to start from now on to enable us to carry momentum down the left side.

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

Just watched the interview with Matty Targett. Honest if nothing else. It's not good enough but the players seem to want to put it right. 

he sounded absolutely dejected and broken, what is going on within this team, its like they have given up after 10 games.

17 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

he sounded absolutely dejected and broken, what is going on within this team, its like they have given up after 10 games.

I couldn't disagree more. He's hurting because he's disappointed with himself and the results. Nothing in that interview tells me he's given up. He's knows ultimately the manager will pay the price, the same manager who's shown huge faith in him. 

Its a good interview IMO, but tells quite a lot.

He is clearly very negative right now, and I think the comments he makes are the same thoughts that go around his head in a match. "Not good enough" "Gave away stupidly" etc and they play on his mind too much.

He's just not backing himself and I guest that would be the same for many others in the team.

Been utterly dreadful all season, depressing he’s nailed on to start. He’s been defensively appalling - slow, never close to his man, gets overlapped all the time.

But yeah looks emotionally done in that interview. Smith has lost them.

Â