Matt Targett

villan-scott

We are very very poor at standing off the opposition and allowing them to run and shoot around the edge of the box. Obviously Targett first goal a classic example today. It's no good looking miffed that they've scored when you literally haven't defended at all. I just want players to put a proper tackle in very quickly or at the very least harass and harry and make actual physical contact! Matt was brilliant last season but he's a nightmare when he loses confidence in his ability.

He was muck that first half. Much better second, except for the madness with Antonio.

Aside from the dull passing, I think he’s also lost a yard of pace. Cash for example looks miles faster (and fitter) than him at the moment.

Could use a new LB in January.

5 hours ago, birdman said:

We are very very poor at standing off the opposition and allowing them to run and shoot around the edge of the box. Obviously Targett first goal a classic example today. It's no good looking miffed that they've scored when you literally haven't defended at all. I just want players to put a proper tackle in very quickly or at the very least harass and harry and make actual physical contact! Matt was brilliant last season but he's a nightmare when he loses confidence in his ability.

That goal was not on Targett, sorry. Allowing the player to cut inside was probably the only mistake he made but, Bailey was there to get the block in. Bailey lifted his leg and the ball went directly underneath it. If he stands square on the ball hits his leg. It was poor from Bailey. 

55 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

That goal was not on Targett, sorry. Allowing the player to cut inside was probably the only mistake he made but, Bailey was there to get the block in. Bailey lifted his leg and the ball went directly underneath it. If he stands square on the ball hits his leg. It was poor from Bailey. 

It was poor from Bailey but no way Targett should let an average defender beat him so easily and get away a shot with no resistance. He was so slow to move it was just way too easy for the defender who simply shifted the ball past him and got his shot away unchallenged. Not good enough at all.

• Like 2

Targett is a limited premier league player.

Grealish occupying 2/3 players made Targett to look better than he is, giving him space as the midfield / wide player would rarely engage him as they were so worried about leaving Grealish 1 on 1.

Must replace him in the summer. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, birdman said:

spot on...been saying this for a while....both full backs do this but at least cash as a bit of pace to get out...eventually.

He's positional sense is poor.....starts at centre back.

As for blaming Baily....maybe if target was set right before.... it would have forced the player to play it backwards...bit like when we get the ball in the final third...we are always forced back.

Poor player.....never rated him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Heard someone say last night that Targett is a training ground player, can do it without fans but not on the big occasion, and it seems to be true. It's a position that needs strengthening ASAP.

I think he’s noticeably less fit than last season, and that’s the bigger issue. Needs to get his diet and training under control. He’s had plenty of good games in front of fans before.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M_Afro said:

It was poor from Bailey but no way Targett should let an average defender beat him so easily and get away a shot with no resistance. He was so slow to move it was just way too easy for the defender who simply shifted the ball past him and got his shot away unchallenged. Not good enough at all.

Yeah this was my general point. I don't want to pick on Targett especially but it's just another example where we are making it too easy for opposition to run and shoot around the box. I don't really care if it results in a foul occasionally I just want to see more grit and determination to stop the ball or player. Mainly its a matter of the right mental attitude, that being "I'm gonna make your life he'll for 90 mins" and at the moment as a team we don't have that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

We need a new LB. He is just not good enough.

But I also agree with this, the aim in the transfer market should be to create competition for places - instead of buying Young as a backup to Targett, we needed a player who could potentially displace him long term. Targett would be a very good squad player.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think he’s noticeably less fit than last season, and that’s the bigger issue. Needs to get his diet and training under control. He’s had plenty of good games in front of fans before.

I can't shake the feeling we rushed him back from his injury in the offseason before he could get back to full fitness. Minimal, heavily disrupted preseason then straight in vs Sarr and he's been behind the ball ever since. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I'm surprised we've never tried Hause at LB as we did occasionally in the Championship. Not a long-term option, but could be a good stopgap while Targett sorts himself out.

We need full backs who are comfortable on the ball - Hause is definitely not that. 

20 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We need full backs who are comfortable on the ball - Hause is definitely not that. 

Agreed, but even more than that we need full backs who can defend. I'd take a slightly dodgy touch over a player who is being constantly targeted as a weak point in the defence.

Â