Matt Targett

villan-scott

Last season, it was quite obvious that most opposition attacks cane down our right - Cash's side. Loads agreed that it was probably because the opposition were scared to over-commit down our left in case they lost it and Grealish exploited the space. Maybe Grealish leaving has changed teams' thinking and they're now charging down our left? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Not a wing back. 

Players player of the season for 20/21.

I'm sorry but he never should've been players player of the season for 20/21. These awards are weird sometimes. If there was an award for most improved compared to last season he stood a decent chance of deserving it but he was never close to our best player nor most important player last season. Not when we had Grealish, Martinez and Watkins in the team.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

There are some things he does that doesn't matter on the formation. Last night there were three or four times he was just gash. Missing headers at the back post, tripping himself up when clearing...even though the penalty was dubious it was a bad choice to go in when lying on the floor. 

That follows up with him being caught out against Wolves at the back post as well.

Also, I'd always back him to out a good ball in, but I can't remember him beating the first man this season apart from at Spurs.

Killing us in defence and attack. He's in honking form

On 23/10/2021 at 08:03, May-Z said:

Killing us in defence and attack. He's in honking form

Have to agree. Just off the top of my head, every contribution he’s had has negatively impacted on us. Bar an assist in a loss at Spurs he’s had that horror show at Watford, missed that absolute sitter at Utd, own goals against Spurs and Wolves, penalty given away at Arsenal. Even the game turned the moment he came off against Everton 😂. Where’s Hickey at for crying out loud.

I was hugely impressed last season with how much his defensive game came on, he was aggressive and was becoming a bit of a shithouse. Chalk and Cheese compared to this season.

On 17/10/2021 at 08:25, Woody1000 said:

I think that’s a very fair assessment.

I think he does well as a second option in attack on the left, backing up the left attacker in a 4-3-3 and overlapping, but has definitely struggled at times as THE wide option on the left.

Yep, I posted similar to this in another thread. As the main man on the left he's expected to create his own space to cross, but he has no pace or skill so will always struggle.

With an intelligent player in front of him, he's great. As Targett is also very intelligent, he gets into great areas/situations. He's also technically superb, his drilled low passes into dangerous areas, I don't see too many other fullbacks in the league doing those so effectively apart from Trent.

• Like 1

On 23/10/2021 at 01:57, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Not a wing back. 

Players player of the season for 20/21.

This - though I think most wing-backs would struggle given the other players selected in the games we've had, as there is so much pressure on them to be creative outlets as well as owning all the pitch space up and down the flanks. 

It just hasn't worked and I definitely can't blame Targett for that. 

• Like 1

Â