Matt Targett

villan-scott

Looking at his stats so far between this season and last season, its his defensive numbers which have taken the biggest hit.

He went from winning about 1-2 tackles per game to winning 1 tackle every 3 games. From attempting 3 tackles per game last season to attempting only 1 per game this season. And its not just tackling that's affected.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, Mings last season attempted and completed a low amount of tackles himself but its fine for him because he usually makes sure no one gets past him. But Targett has been getting dribbled past a lot this season.

Its also a sharp contrast to Cash whose defensive numbers are really good despite the shift to wing back.

I think he's been wasteful on the ball without Grealish in front of him as well, but I don't think his problems this season are only limited to the offensive side of the game.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He looked good defensively yesterday. I just don’t think he’s a wingback.

I highly doubt we’ll persist with this system but if we do, we’ll need better than Targett to progress.

Im perfectly happy with Targett the full back. 

I think that’s a very fair assessment.

I think he does well as a second option in attack on the left, backing up the left attacker in a 4-3-3 and overlapping, but has definitely struggled at times as THE wide option on the left.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I highly doubt we’ll persist with this system but if we do, we’ll need better than Targett to progress.

This is spot on. Quite a few occasions in the first half he got the ball just inside our half and kept looking back to Mings or sideways to Luiz. Didn’t have the confidence to either push on or look for the channel ball to Watkins. Cash on the other side is better at this. I would revert to 4 at the back and let Targett do his job with Leon Bailey to bounce off.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

All goals came from Targett's side or butt.

1 hour ago, Woody1000 said:

I think that’s a very fair assessment.

I think he does well as a second option in attack on the left, backing up the left attacker in a 4-3-3 and overlapping, but has definitely struggled at times as THE wide option on the left.

I don't think he's making as much of his underlapping runs either this season.

I think he was unlucky with the penalty, but had a very poor game in any case.

I think he struggles not having width ahead of him.  He's good at overlapping up the pitch and getting crosses in, which then almost forces him to be tackling when tracking back.  If he's more "stationary" as a solo wide player, he seems to lose the good parts of his game.

• Like 1

How is this kid still getting a game? His first half today was worse than his first half against Watford. He is also a gutless wonder. He gives up so easily. I would much rather play Young. At least he will always show courage.

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Not a wing back. 

Players player of the season for 20/21.

With that being said its absolutely a position than can be improved and needs to be improved if top 6 is the goal.  That can't be argued if you ask me.  No one was good today, but even if you consider the penalty questionable... it was still a terrible decision by Targett.  Lacazette had his back turned so it wasn't like he HAD to make that move to prevent a goal.  Just an awful decision at the end of the first 45.  Without that mistake...  and if Watkins puts home the tap in off Cash's throw which he should have, as terrible as they played its a 2-2 game.  Just frustrating stuff overall...  but I absolutely think we need an upgrade.  Would love to be proven wrong starting next Sunday.

Â