Matt Targett

villan-scott

23 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

I’m a bit concerned for his longer term future with the club if SG is looking to play a similar style to what he used at Rangers, that relied on the full backs providing the width in attack and if our dabble with 3-5-2 this season showed us anything, it was that Targett is pretty limited as our sole option on the left flank.

Im not writing him off, we’ve got to wait and see how things play out but if I had to put money on it I think we will see Young come into the team at LB until we purchase a new LB either in January or most likely in the summer.

Of course it remains to be seen which formation is used, we are speculating at the end of the day before a ball has even been kicked during Gerrard’s reign.

You were right to be concerned when you wrote this. He showed up today and showed some of what he is capable of.

2 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

You were right to be concerned when you wrote this. He showed up today and showed some of what he is capable of.

That was a bit more like last season’s player of the year wasn’t it?

Just now, Woody1000 said:

That was a bit more like last season’s player of the year wasn’t it?

It was. Matty comes across as a decent, honest and fairly simple footballer, like most of them are.

They function best when they have a clear idea of what they are supposed to do and a license to get on with it.

Players passing notes when defending corners is probably more indicative of the issues we've been facing than we gave it credit for.

• Like 2

He was superb today. It’s funny actually how it seems to be the “Smith players” who’ve upped their game the most today. Maybe they needed a kick up the backside from a manager who isn’t as invested in them on a personal level.

Edited by KentVillan

Much, much better today. Had a bit more snap in the tackle and was defending on the front foot. 

Think Lamptey made it a bit easier by trying to go on the outside every time, but Targett completely took him out of the match (and I would consider him one of their biggest threats)

Â