Matt Targett

villan-scott

1 hour ago, daggy_333 said:

Something not right with him at the moment. Can't beat a man with pace or with a cross. Almost looks like a weak link.

Someone in the match thread made a good point.

Last season he had Grealish in front of him for most games, so that will naturally create more space etc, he’s just got to get used to not having that space anymore.

• Like 3

Just now, Mister_a said:

Someone in the match thread made a good point.

Last season he had Grealish in front of him for most games, so that will naturally create more space etc, he’s just got to get used to not having that space anymore.

Fair point i guess.

7 minutes ago, WHY said:

Wasted so many good opportunities today out wide, isn’t a wing back imo. He starts in a 4 but shouldn’t in a 5 imo.

I do agree with this. 

I don’t think he’s had a great start to the season but I do like him. I think he starts for us in a back 4 for sure, and hopefully that’s the system we use going forward.

If we’re playing a 3-5-2 however, I think Young might be the better option. 

• Like 3

At the top of the page and after the Newcastle game I commented he was back to his normal self. I may have been a bit rash. Thought he was bloody awful today. Reminded me of a Royal Mail posty. Shit deliveries that never reach there destination. 

Nothing wrong with him today, but he's not a complete wing back.

Targett is a full back or a wing back when a winger is playing in front of him; his link up play allows him to get around the opposition full back. Today he wasn't able to do that and it left him exposed. In a 4-3-3 this season he will be fine.

• Like 3

I have to agree that he was very poor yesterday. Slow, ponderous decision making, awful lazy passing. Young should start until he gets himself right and I'd definitely look at a pacier left back in Jan. Especially if we're going to be playing 5 3 2.

23 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Nothing wrong with him today, but he's not a complete wing back.

Targett is a full back or a wing back when a winger is playing in front of him; his link up play allows him to get around the opposition full back. Today he wasn't able to do that and it left him exposed. In a 4-3-3 this season he will be fine.

Exactly this. I really hope we don't do the el ghazi treatment and continue to play him in a position he can't play...assuming we use 532 / 352 again.

Jack covered up a lot of Targetts flaws. I bet with Bailey on the left of a 4-3-3 he looks the part again. Isn't good enough to play the wing back role like Alonso does for Chelsea. 

As stated from some already, he's good in a back four, been struggling with his end product when playing at wing back. Maybe he needs to get used to the 352 system, but I would be starting Young in the future.

On 19/09/2021 at 23:10, Rightdm00 said:

Jack covered up a lot of Targetts flaws. I bet with Bailey on the left of a 4-3-3 he looks the part again. Isn't good enough to play the wing back role like Alonso does for Chelsea. 

I think the problem is he had a great partnership and understanding with Jack on the left. Now he has to adapt to new players but he'll get there. Also when he gets his full fitness and confidence back we'll see the best of him again. 

• Like 1

Â