Matt Targett

villan-scott

gotta remember, he had Adama Traore in his pocket last season, so it isnt that Targett cant handle fast players.

I dunno, i tend to think as others have mentioned, he just wasnt match fit (like a few of our players seemed not to be), and he was also left really isolated and didnt get any support, which amplified the situation.

He hasnt become a bad player overnight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

gotta remember, he had Adama Traore in his pocket last season, so it isnt that Targett cant handle fast players.

I dunno, i tend to think as others have mentioned, he just wasnt match fit (like a few of our players seemed not to be), and he was also left really isolated and didnt get any support, which amplified the situation.

He hasnt become a bad player overnight.

Agree , he’s certainly not a bad player but looked really unfit , a yard off normal pace 

I know you guys are talking about him being slow but for me the biggest mistake he was making was just diving in, over and over and over, it gave Sarr so much space and made it look so much worse.

I think chalking it up to a bad pre season for us and him being off the pace is fair, unfortunately it looks like we need the majority of the squad to get up to speed very quickly.

I think everyone's being a bit harsh on him tbh.  I watched it back and he was strung out to dry quite a few times by our midfield especially nakamba.  him and mcginn pushed up to far as a pair and gave the ball away whilst targett was in an advanced position.  no one is going to catch sarr given a ten yard head start.  granted he got pulled out of position for the second, should never of tried to come inside and make that tackle.  he did look a bit rusty when squared up by sarr but don't think there's the need for such an overreaction.  he'll come good again.   nakamba on the other hand.

• Like 1

I just think our players are suffering from the lack of a proper preseason and disruptive lead up to the first game…

We’re all going to have to try and be patient with the side after the departure of JG and a few missing or unfit players. Can’t really expect us to be flying from the off… although I hoped we had enough about us to not lose to Watford but football is rarely straightforward or predictable… promoted sides back in front of home crowds/packed stadiums is a challenge at the start of a season.

Targett & Cash will be fine, they demonstrated their quality and consistency last season and will at least get back to those standards. Hopefully even better…

It’s largely an unsettled side atm, we need to get everyone together and up our fitness and sharpness.

Hopefully our business is not completed yet either. Let’s sort that midfield out!

Will take a few games to get into our groove I would think.

Let’s not overreact, it is a transition for us after so heavily relying on one player…

I wouldn’t disagree that there is pressure on the team and Dean.

But maybe there shouldn’t be too much pressure and more understanding or patience from us fans…

Let’s sit back and try to enjoy the ride, with it’s ups and downs. When our new and better players settle and gel, I’m sure we will be a very exciting and entertaining team to watch…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Powehi said:

He'd given a local restaurant in the area a bad review on TripAdvisor.

I swear I'm not making this up.

Well he played liked he had the trots for sure.

Is that what the review said?

I think not having a player the calibre of Jack in front of him will affect him.  

I'm sure he'll be fine in a few weeks, but he'll have to adjust to not having a world class player to give the ball to, and that player not holding it up as well as Jack did to give Targett license to get forward. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I've been thinking about where we go to with this midfield which along with left back needs to be solved next summer.

Targett was PPOTS last year. One bad game and suddenly it's a problem position? 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Targett was PPOTS last year. One bad game and suddenly it's a problem position? 

No, it's because Young is temporary cover for this position and not a longer term solution. So we need a new left back and when we sign players we aim to sign better than we have to create competition. 

So we have Kessler coming up in Right Back, nobody that level coming up in left back. So I see Guilbert being moved on, Young extending maybe for 1 more year to cover both full back positions and for his experience. Kessler competing with Cash and a new left back signing taking Targett's place at left back and competing with him.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I think not having a player the calibre of Jack in front of him will affect him.  

I'm sure he'll be fine in a few weeks, but he'll have to adjust to not having a world class player to give the ball to, and that player not holding it up as well as Jack did to give Targett license to get forward. 

Disagree.

Even when Jack was out last season Targett really did hold his own. Was superb throughout the season.

• Like 3

i wonder if Targett is one of those players who needs to be at 100% fitness to play at the level required.

I remember Gresford joking once that Targett did zero weights etc, maybe just physically he is a player that when he's at 80% just doesnt have enough in the tank, or isnt naturally physical enough to get by when he isnt firing on all cylinders, maybe he needs to be at full tank to be the best version of himself.

Obviously he isnt at 100% at the moment.

35 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i wonder if Targett is one of those players who needs to be at 100% fitness to play at the level required.

I remember Gresford joking once that Targett did zero weights etc, maybe just physically he is a player that when he's at 80% just doesnt have enough in the tank, or isnt naturally physical enough to get by when he isnt firing on all cylinders, maybe he needs to be at full tank to be the best version of himself.

Obviously he isnt at 100% at the moment.

Even if that's not true he only returned to pre season training after having his ankle in a protective boot all summer from the day after the Chelsea game, so unlike other players, he couldn't even do any basic fitness work on his break. Add in a disrupted pre season with cancelled games etc and it's no wonder he's off the pace. Realistically he's probably weeks off being fully match fit and challenging Young.

Edited by RichiBoi11
  • Like 1

Just wanted to bump. As someone above mentioned, literally 38 perfect games last year. It says so much that his name is barely mentioned yet he plays every game. He does his job, and he does it well.

Wobbly start to the season. Not sure what’s up. Totally correct for him to be dropped for Young so that he knows he isn’t undroppable. Hope he bounces back strongly as I think he is so so criminally underrated. 

Â