Matt Targett

villan-scott

In his first season in the prem, he was a bit of a wetter and looked like a bigger-boy had taken his lunch money during games. 

Last season he transformed that and was much more aggressive and dominant against all types of winger.

Hope that hasn't set his progress back a little bit by knocking his confidence today.

...but at least we have Young as a replacement now.

Before I say what I’m about to say, let it be known that I voted him as our POTS last year and think he’s a very good player.

But.

That was possibly one of the worst performances I’ve seen from a Villa fullback in a decade (Relative to level).

Utterly pathetic. 

To be dragged off at half time is an embarrassment. How often does that happen? Is he not fit? I know he isn’t the quickest but he looked slower than ever today? 

Young will start ahead of him until he sorts himself out. So surprising. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Before I say what I’m about to say, let it be known that I voted him as our POTS last year and think he’s a very good player.

But.

That was possibly one of the worst performances I’ve seen from a Villa fullback in a decade (Relative to level).

Utterly pathetic. 

To be dragged off at half time is an embarrassment. How often does that happen? Is he not fit? I know he isn’t the quickest but he looked slower than ever today? 

Young will start ahead of him until he sorts himself out. So surprising. 

Fair comment. It was a shambles today. Yeah he didn’t get much support but he was way off the pace. To be dragged off at half-time is one thing, but in the first match of the season? Against the mighty... Watford? Proper 3 out of 10 in FM terms.

He didn’t get much support but it is not like Sarr is some unknown entity or anything, like some mad signing from Russia or something. We’d been linked to him all summer! Can’t believe how badly prepared Targett looked. Way, way off the pace. You’d be forgiven for thinking he had too many pints over the summer.

Targett needs to be dropped for the next match. Not just because he’ll have lost all confidence in himself, not just because ASM would eat him alive, but also because the rest of the squad needs to know what happens if you put in a performance like that.

Ninety minutes against Barrow will do him good.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Enda said:

Fair comment. It was a shambles today. Yeah he didn’t get much support but he was way off the pace. To be dragged off at half-time is one thing, but in the first match of the season? Against the mighty... Watford? Proper 3 out of 10 in FM terms.

He didn’t get much support but it is not like Sarr is some unknown entity or anything, like some mad signing from Russia or something. We’d been linked to him all summer! Can’t believe how badly prepared Targett looked. Way, way off the pace. You’d be forgiven for thinking he had too many pints over the summer.

Targett needs to be dropped for the next match. Not just because he’ll have lost all confidence in himself, not just because ASM would eat him alive, but also because the rest of the squad needs to know what happens if you put in a performance like that.

Ninety minutes against Barrow will do him good.

Yeh, agree with all of that. 

Is he not fit? The thing that struck me most was, Sarr wasn’t even doing anything particularly special. Most of the time he was just knocking it a few yards in front of him or cutting inside after feining to shoot. 

He was superb last season, but today reminded me of the first few matches when we signed him. He clearly needs to be at peak physical condition to perform and maybe that’s the reason he was poor today. 

Either way, slightly worrying. Hope he gets back to last years levels.

Edited by Delphinho123

Really suffered in the first half with the lack of cover from midfield. He got doubled up on time and again and McGinn was nowhere to be found half the time - the first goal being a classic example. 

He didn't play well, but was on a hiding to nothing when other members of the team weren't doing their job. 

Any news if he was carrying an injury? Fair enough that he lacked match fitness and got tired, but he was so slow. Sarr is obviously really fast but Targett looked slow against everyone including his teammates.

The whole team played a horrible game yesterday but most of the issues we had were expected. Did not expect Targett to be this bad thou.

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Looked miles off it. I can forgive a bad game, but he doesn’t look fit at all. 

Needs to hit the gym! 

He actually looked a bit shell-shocked at one point! Obviously wasn't briefed on how good Sarr would be. Not just Matt though, team went out there with the attitude of a pre season friendly. Watford on the other hand were on it! 

21 hours ago, lexicon said:

Really suffered in the first half with the lack of cover from midfield. He got doubled up on time and again and McGinn was nowhere to be found half the time - the first goal being a classic example. 

He didn't play well, but was on a hiding to nothing when other members of the team weren't doing their job. 

Why point the finger at McGinn? Young was more of a culprit than SJM. 

58 minutes ago, grobs said:

My worry is, Newcastle will have analysed the game vs Watford and with just tell saint max to run at him all game. 

Steve Bruce analysing? I can picture it now old tv with everyone huddled around a video tape ,kebabs all round for the boys and Steve telling Saint Maximin, “Matt Targget will be there and there abouts stick on him and come end of the match we’ll be there and there abouts”

Â