Matt Targett

villan-scott

Absolutely superb. We're gonna say it all season but the improvement from him has been nothing short of sensational. 

If he hasn't done enough to convince Southgate tonight then the poor lad has no hope of an England call up. 

5 minutes ago, turvontour said:

A really intelligent footballer l. The way the commentators kept saying he was close to another yellow. No he wasnt. He was in complete control. 

I thought he was lucky to be honest, but he still played well so whateverz!

• Like 1

Called it back in the summer but boy has he exceeded even my hopes for him. I can't recall the last time I watched him and thought he was anything other than excellent.

He won't win it with Emi and Jack about but he should absolutely be part of the conversation for player of the season. 

I reckon he was pretty pissed off how the last couple of games have gone and purposely went out there today more determined than ever. Great attitude to have and I think against some teams this is exactly what you have to do. He was a bully. Brilliant. 

• Like 1

It's a confidence and belief thing. Always had good technical ability. Last year he looked nervous and jittery, overwhelmed him a bit. Takes no crap off the man facing him up now. Real bite and snap about him. Dare i say it, leader like almost. Not vocal but he's stepping up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Noel said:

He is the best Left Back in England in my opinion.  Solid defensibly and great going forward.

If someone offered £50 million for him I would have to say No.

Targett one of the best performing LB'S in the league. Chillwell i don't think has played a minute under tuchel. Chillwell goes to the euro's. You know it.

5 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Name me a left back playing better in the Premier league right now...

There's... Wait no not him.... Maybe... hold on no.not him either. Hmm nope can't think of one. 

Consistently 9/10 this season. Brilliant brilliant player.

• Like 1

This season's most improved player. I don't think you could give him the main gong but the next best should suffice. Nothing short of flawless for most the season. Also, worth noting that he along with a couple of the others looks far more bulked up this year. Bullying players this season unlike last. Just class.

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Got to say he never looked at risk of a red to me, and I didn't really understand all the chatter about him playing on the edge.

Along with Martinez, our most consistent performer this season. What a touch he has as well.

Yeah I’d agree with this. The two fouls by Klich when already on a yellow were far more worthy of second yellows than anything Targett did in that match.

I’ll hold my hands up on Targett as I’d quite happily have seen him replaced in the Summer. He didn’t seem to be at the level required but the improvement in him has been phenomenal.

I actually struggle to believe that he is the same player that used to take one knock and come off at the first opportunity in any game that we were struggling in. He’s now fast becoming one of the best players at the club and an England call up can’t be too far away for him. 

5 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Got to say he never looked at risk of a red to me, and I didn't really understand all the chatter about him playing on the edge.

Along with Martinez, our most consistent performer this season. What a touch he has as well.

My only thought was around totting up, seemed to not be getting the decision from the ref on a few occasions, I love his competitiveness. 

9 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

It's a confidence and belief thing. Always had good technical ability. Last year he looked nervous and jittery, overwhelmed him a bit. Takes no crap off the man facing him up now. Real bite and snap about him. Dare i say it, leader like almost. Not vocal but he's stepping up.

Confidence is part of it, so is the fact he isn’t exposed as much as he was last season, part of it is Emi behind him, part of of it is the solid defence. Part of it is Shakespear and Terry’s coaching but ultimately mostly it is down to bloody hard work and character from Targett himself.

• Like 1

It's crazy to think he was unanimously accepted as our weak link last season, the player we most needed to upgrade. When Matty Cash came in as an upgrade over Guilbert I immediately thought "no no no, there's nothing wrong with him, what are you doing?"

It just goes to show how little I actually understand about football. Targett never needed replacing, and Guilbert, as much as I love the guy, probably did.

Targett has been sensational all season. He gave away that penalty against Sheffield which made me think it'd be more if the same from him, but that's literally the only thing he seems to have done wrong all season. He has not looked back. I don't think our left side has weakened all that much in Jack's absence simply because Targett was such a massive part of its strength all along.

Matty, if you're reading this for some reason, I'm sorry I ever doubted you.

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

It was Hinchcliffe on commentary; I don't know what happened during his playing career but he is anti-Villa.

I was literally shouting at my TV, Klich other other hand previously had three or four bad challenges and yet there were no comments about him 'living on the edge'.

Commentary often seems a little biased against Villa these days.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It was Hinchcliffe on commentary; I don't know what happened during his playing career but he is anti-Villa.

I was literally shouting at my TV, Klich other other hand previously had three or four bad challenges and yet there were no comments about him 'living on the edge'.

Commentary often seems a little biased against Villa these days.

He’s a Leeds fanboy, to the most extreme. It was rather comical in the bias though. I really wish you could mute commentary. Constant unnecessary chatter. It intrudes your thinking as you watch the game. Imposing the commentaries narrative on the game itself. I do try to utilise logical self-talk and reassure myself that it cannot affect the game. Yet I still want to drop-kick the TV every week.

Targett was imperious, yet you would not have known if only listening. He walked that line between safety and jeopardy, that which is necessary to bring out the best when performing.

Â