Matt Targett

villan-scott

On 07/04/2021 at 10:39, MrBlack said:

At the start of the season,  I would have been happy to see him go out on loan, like Fred has, and for us to buy a new left sided full back to replace him instead of buying Cash.

A small example of why Armchair managers are not to be trusted. 

Had an amazing season and I would put him alongside Konsa as the most consistent performer in our team (factoring in Grealish having missed so much of it). Could still step up the quality of his deliveries from time to time, but he's improved immensely and seems to have the attitude to keep improving. 

Targett was clear of Guilbert even last season IMO.

• Like 1

Forgot about this until this morning

Again it looks like a tactical thing cos we do it so often and concede goals due to it so often, wheres he going for the 2nd goal? Tucks in to the middle almost expecting whichever liverpool player it was to beat his man, left Shaqiri all alone to go stand in no man's land, just stand on Shaqiri and they don't score 

Like I said its not him, it's cash too, tactical and no doubt part of why we have a better defence overall but it can be so frustrating when it doesn't work 

On 13/04/2021 at 07:13, villa4europe said:

Forgot about this until this morning

Again it looks like a tactical thing cos we do it so often and concede goals due to it so often, wheres he going for the 2nd goal? Tucks in to the middle almost expecting whichever liverpool player it was to beat his man, left Shaqiri all alone to go stand in no man's land, just stand on Shaqiri and they don't score 

Like I said its not him, it's cash too, tactical and no doubt part of why we have a better defence overall but it can be so frustrating when it doesn't work 

It is incredibly annoying when the opposition score directly as a result of us doing this, but you are right that it does seem to be working overall in terms of lowering the number of goals we concede.

Guess you can't pick and choose when you drop into the middle or stay with your man at our level of learning this approach.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Quiet thread, sign of a player that played well in a poor game. Didn't put a foot wrong. 

Maybe he shouldn't get a new contract...seems thing to go tits up when they get one. 

His brilliant form has been overshadowed by all the other shite performances from other players

He has been so good this season, that it's just the norm now..

I dont think Targett has made many mistakes this season and is certainly now our most consistent player. Even more so than Martinez so I think Targett could easily get player of the season for us. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, birdman said:

I dont think Targett has made many mistakes this season and is certainly now our most consistent player. Even more so than Martinez so I think Targett could easily get player of the season for us. 

Yep. It’s a straight shoot out between Targett and Emi I think. Harsh on Jack of course but he will probably end up missing a third of the season.

• Like 1

He and Konsa are the only two players who virtually haven't had a single bad game. I'd be happy with either winning the POTS award. 

EMI has made quite a few mistakes, but he's definitely made up for them with crucial saves 

I’ll say it again. He’s my POTS. 

Grealish is our best player but you can’t give it to someone who misses a third of the season. 

Targett, closely followed by Konsa, has been our best, most reliable player this season.

He’s turning into a top, top left back. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’ll say it again. He’s my POTS. 

Grealish is our best player but you can’t give it to someone who misses a third of the season. 

Targett, closely followed by Konsa, has been our best, most reliable player this season.

He’s turning into a top, top left back. 

Agree 100%

I think he’s been extremely reliable defensively this season and is definitely in my top 3 for POTS but, as a v slight criticism, I would have liked to see him involved in a few more goals. I can’t remember him scoring this season and I think he’s only got 1 assist. He did better last season in that respect but obviously I’m delighted in the improvement in his all round play. If he can combine both aspects next season, I think he has a chance of getting involved in the England set up (as all the other left backs currently in the England squad are capable of goal involvment)

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think he’s been extremely reliable defensively this season and is definitely in my top 3 for POTS but, as a v slight criticism, I would have liked to see him involved in a few more goals. I can’t remember him scoring this season and I think he’s only got 1 assist. He did better last season in that respect but obviously I’m delighted in the improvement in his all round play. If he can combine both aspects next season, I think he has a chance of getting involved in the England set up (as all the other left backs currently in the England squad are capable of goal involvment)

He's been involved in plenty of goals. Konsa vs sheffield, trez/saka vs arsenal, watkins vs Newcastle (in both legs), watkins vs Burnley, watTraore vs leicester all came through him. He's been very unlucky only one actually registers as an assist, but his attacking contribution has been huge.

The fact he hasn't scored is hardly an issue as full backs, along with defensive midfielders are usually the least likely outfield players to score 

Â