Matt Targett

villan-scott

His first touch has always been exquisite and the basic ingredients were there, but he seems to have added everything else to his game to go with it, including the physicality. I wonder if he has been working with Ollie Stephens? 

Maybe he can add a yard of pace, like Jack?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Apart from Chilwell I’m not sure there is anyone playing better in his position. I do think he could be a dark horse for the Euro’s this summer.

Let's be honest that isn't going to happen, even if its probably deserved.

He doesn't play for one of the favourite 4, and although he is playing as well as any English left back he isn't playing 10 times better.

Look at Jack, playing much better than many English players and was only picked and played almost under duress initially by southgate.

I don't mean these comments negatively towards targett, just a review of the favouritism in place generally around who is selected for England, regardless of how well some players are playing.

Edited by MaVilla

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

He doesn't play for one of the favourite 4, and although he is playing as well as any English left back he isn't playing 10 times better.

Look at Jack, playing much better than many English players and was only picked and played almost under duress initially by southgate.

I don't mean these comments negatively towards targett, just a review of the favouritism in place generally around who is selected for England, regardless of how well some players are playing.

Not disagreeing with you and you’re probably right but if Chilwell was suddenly out for the season who would take his place? Shaw probably but I’d take Targett.

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

True and it’s totally wrong , Maitland Nyles or whatever his name is has 5 caps just because he was an Arsenal player now he’s at West Brom does he make the next squad?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, John said:

Excellent interview with Matt by Henry Winter in today's Times: 

"Matt Targett is one of the most improved players in the Premier League, a model of consistency in Aston Villa’s tightened defence, excelling against Arsenal and Chelsea, and even being spoken of as England material. Targett has shed his shyness to mature into an assertive left back, far more robust mentally and physically. Newcastle United’s Javier Manquillo was substituted after a chastening encounter with Targett last month.

Now 25, Targett had a period of introspection last year amid claims he was being too soft and the unanswerable critique that Villa were conceding too many goals. He responded. During the first lockdown he worked with Dean Smith, the Villa head coach, and the assistant coach John Terry on the art of defending. “We did a lot of Zoom meetings and watched clips of the best teams defending, like Liverpool and Man City,” Targett says. “They work so hard on the ball but even harder off the ball.” The process took time. He struggled against Adama Traoré last season yet such were the lessons absorbed that when Villa met Wolverhampton Wanderers in December, Targett was so good that he forced Traoré to switch flanks. “Last season, a couple of times he isolated me one v one and got past me way too easily,” Targett says. “I’ve changed that a lot this season. I don’t think I’m easy to beat. I’m definitely much more aggressive.” Terry’s tuition has been important. “We go through clips and say what I’ve done well, what I need to improve on,” Targett says. “If my body shape’s wrong, John goes up to the screen and shows me the body shape I should be in.” Terry draws occasionally on his own stellar career as a defender, talking of the strengths of Chelsea and England — the preparation, concentration and obsession with clean sheets. “He talks about what made them so good,” Targett adds. “He’s trying to pass it on to us. He’s probably one of the best people to learn from.”

Smith has also been vital in galvanising Targett. “Dean’s laid-back with everyone but when you need a rocket up your bum he’s not afraid to do that, that’s for sure,” Targett says. “We got that at Brighton at half-time.” Smith was furious with the “sloppiness” in his side’s play in last Saturday’s stalemate at the Amex. “He wasn’t a happy bunny,” Targett adds. “He raises his voice. If you’re not playing well, he’ll tell you and that’s what you want from a manager. He’s very honest. He demands a lot. He tells you what he wants and if you don’t do it then you won’t be part of this team, as simple as that.

As a team we are much harder to beat.” With the £12 million Ezri Konsa flourishing at centre back alongside the £20 million Tyrone Mings, and the inspired recruitment of Matty Cash at right back for £16 million and the goalkeeper Emiliano Martínez for £17 million, the £11 million Targett completes one of the best-balanced defences in the Premier League, all for a bargain £76 million. They have shipped only 24 goals in 22 games, the joint-second best record in the Premier League. “Let’s start with Emi,” Targett says with a smile as he talks via Zoom. “He’s fantastic with the presence he gives us when he comes for crosses, the communication he gives. It makes you feel safe when you’ve got someone like him behind you. He’s such a good goalkeeper. Matty Cash’s done brilliantly. Watching how he plays, he’s such an aggressive full back. That’s made me think, ‘Wow, I need to do that too’. Matty coming in has helped me a lot. “Ezri’s been fantastic, he’s got the potential to go right to the top. He’s only going to get better and better. Ty’s brilliant, a real leader who demands a lot from us.”

In the pursuit of further improvement Targett constantly analyses other left backs. “Luke Shaw’s been brilliant this season. James Justin at Leicester has been fantastic, and unlucky with his injury. I’ve been watching them carefully. I look at players abroad, Jordi Alba [at Barcelona], Marcelo [Real Madrid]. I learn so much from just watching.” As well as his defending, Targett’s crossing has also improved, and he was involved in goals against Newcastle and Burnley, giving everything shuttling up and back. “The next day you’re feeling it for sure,” he says. “That’s the demands of the Premier League for the modern-day full back, especially when you’ve got Jack Grealish always coming inside and attracting so many players to him, it’s really important I get up and help him. “If you leave Jack one v one with any player he just goes past them with ease. You need two, even sometimes three against Jack, so my job is to make that supportive run and try and attract one of the players off him.”

Targett’s talent was first spotted by Southampton, the team he supported growing up in a Saints-mad family in nearby Eastleigh. His parents drove him to and from academy training every Tuesday and Thursday night. “They were so supportive,” he says. “Dad would get home from work, wouldn’t even walk through the door, he’d be outside beeping the horn and I’d run out and he’d take me to training. “My dad was a centre midfielder, box to box, right-footed player. His team, AC Delco (from Eastleigh), got to the Southampton Senior Cup final (in 2000) and they played at The Dell. He was captain, so I was a mascot walking out with him.” How did he do? “There was a power cut so the game got abandoned.” The lights went out with AC Delco losing 2-0 to Blackfield & Langley with 15 minutes remaining. In the replay AC Delco won 2-1.

Targett rose through the Southampton age groups, following in the left-footed tracks of Wayne Bridge, Gareth Bale and Shaw. “I had a season ticket to Southampton, so I used to go and watch Gareth,” he says. “It’s amazing to see how his career developed and he went on to do such amazing things. He was like a role model to me. “It’s such a good academy, the coaching’s fantastic. Luke was playing two years above his age so then I got put up. When Luke got into the first team and then got his move to Manchester United, I was just breaking through and Ronald Koeman gave me the opportunity. I played a couple of games and I was terrible but they still said, ‘Don’t worry, you’ve got so much potential.’” Targett made 63 appearances for Southampton, also playing 21 times on loan at Fulham in 2018, including in the Championship play-off final win over Villa. He was behind Ryan Bertrand at Southampton, and Villa came calling in July 2019. “It wasn’t a difficult decision,” he says. “I did have a chat with my family and they said, ‘It’s the time in your career where you’ve got to move on’.

“When I first joined Villa I didn’t realise how big the club was. The fans, the love they have for the team. I go to Sainsbury’s to do my food shop, and I’ll bump into ten fans and they all say ‘Up the Villa’. “Villa fans are everywhere. We miss a full Holte End, especially this season because we’re doing so well. When that’s up and roaring it’s a special place.” Targett is very aware of Villa’s European Cup heritage. “They have the [1982] trophy just to the left of the tunnel,” he says. “Every time we walk out we see the trophy. It would be nice if this team could add to that trophy cabinet. Getting into Europe has got to be the aim and with the squad we’ve got, never say never. The Premier League’s not the same this year, there’s been some crazy results. If we’re on our game, we can beat anyone.”

His other aim this season is England. “That’s one of my targets. When I signed for Villa, I remember the phone call with Dean Smith and he said he wants to turn me into one of England’s left backs. This season I think I’m developing well and hopefully the next step for me is to get that England call-up.” As he prepares for his 50th Premier League start for Villa, against Leicester City tomorrow, a toughened Targett is meeting and raising expectations."

Good article.

Didn't see anything about his FPL team tho? 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, John said:

Excellent interview with Matt by Henry Winter in today's Times: 

"Matt Targett is one of the most improved players in the Premier League, a model of consistency in Aston Villa’s tightened defence, excelling against Arsenal and Chelsea, and even being spoken of as England material. Targett has shed his shyness to mature into an assertive left back, far more robust mentally and physically. Newcastle United’s Javier Manquillo was substituted after a chastening encounter with Targett last month.

Now 25, Targett had a period of introspection last year amid claims he was being too soft and the unanswerable critique that Villa were conceding too many goals. He responded. During the first lockdown he worked with Dean Smith, the Villa head coach, and the assistant coach John Terry on the art of defending. “We did a lot of Zoom meetings and watched clips of the best teams defending, like Liverpool and Man City,” Targett says. “They work so hard on the ball but even harder off the ball.” The process took time. He struggled against Adama Traoré last season yet such were the lessons absorbed that when Villa met Wolverhampton Wanderers in December, Targett was so good that he forced Traoré to switch flanks. “Last season, a couple of times he isolated me one v one and got past me way too easily,” Targett says. “I’ve changed that a lot this season. I don’t think I’m easy to beat. I’m definitely much more aggressive.” Terry’s tuition has been important. “We go through clips and say what I’ve done well, what I need to improve on,” Targett says. “If my body shape’s wrong, John goes up to the screen and shows me the body shape I should be in.” Terry draws occasionally on his own stellar career as a defender, talking of the strengths of Chelsea and England — the preparation, concentration and obsession with clean sheets. “He talks about what made them so good,” Targett adds. “He’s trying to pass it on to us. He’s probably one of the best people to learn from.”

Smith has also been vital in galvanising Targett. “Dean’s laid-back with everyone but when you need a rocket up your bum he’s not afraid to do that, that’s for sure,” Targett says. “We got that at Brighton at half-time.” Smith was furious with the “sloppiness” in his side’s play in last Saturday’s stalemate at the Amex. “He wasn’t a happy bunny,” Targett adds. “He raises his voice. If you’re not playing well, he’ll tell you and that’s what you want from a manager. He’s very honest. He demands a lot. He tells you what he wants and if you don’t do it then you won’t be part of this team, as simple as that.

As a team we are much harder to beat.” With the £12 million Ezri Konsa flourishing at centre back alongside the £20 million Tyrone Mings, and the inspired recruitment of Matty Cash at right back for £16 million and the goalkeeper Emiliano Martínez for £17 million, the £11 million Targett completes one of the best-balanced defences in the Premier League, all for a bargain £76 million. They have shipped only 24 goals in 22 games, the joint-second best record in the Premier League. “Let’s start with Emi,” Targett says with a smile as he talks via Zoom. “He’s fantastic with the presence he gives us when he comes for crosses, the communication he gives. It makes you feel safe when you’ve got someone like him behind you. He’s such a good goalkeeper. Matty Cash’s done brilliantly. Watching how he plays, he’s such an aggressive full back. That’s made me think, ‘Wow, I need to do that too’. Matty coming in has helped me a lot. “Ezri’s been fantastic, he’s got the potential to go right to the top. He’s only going to get better and better. Ty’s brilliant, a real leader who demands a lot from us.”

In the pursuit of further improvement Targett constantly analyses other left backs. “Luke Shaw’s been brilliant this season. James Justin at Leicester has been fantastic, and unlucky with his injury. I’ve been watching them carefully. I look at players abroad, Jordi Alba [at Barcelona], Marcelo [Real Madrid]. I learn so much from just watching.” As well as his defending, Targett’s crossing has also improved, and he was involved in goals against Newcastle and Burnley, giving everything shuttling up and back. “The next day you’re feeling it for sure,” he says. “That’s the demands of the Premier League for the modern-day full back, especially when you’ve got Jack Grealish always coming inside and attracting so many players to him, it’s really important I get up and help him. “If you leave Jack one v one with any player he just goes past them with ease. You need two, even sometimes three against Jack, so my job is to make that supportive run and try and attract one of the players off him.”

Targett’s talent was first spotted by Southampton, the team he supported growing up in a Saints-mad family in nearby Eastleigh. His parents drove him to and from academy training every Tuesday and Thursday night. “They were so supportive,” he says. “Dad would get home from work, wouldn’t even walk through the door, he’d be outside beeping the horn and I’d run out and he’d take me to training. “My dad was a centre midfielder, box to box, right-footed player. His team, AC Delco (from Eastleigh), got to the Southampton Senior Cup final (in 2000) and they played at The Dell. He was captain, so I was a mascot walking out with him.” How did he do? “There was a power cut so the game got abandoned.” The lights went out with AC Delco losing 2-0 to Blackfield & Langley with 15 minutes remaining. In the replay AC Delco won 2-1.

Targett rose through the Southampton age groups, following in the left-footed tracks of Wayne Bridge, Gareth Bale and Shaw. “I had a season ticket to Southampton, so I used to go and watch Gareth,” he says. “It’s amazing to see how his career developed and he went on to do such amazing things. He was like a role model to me. “It’s such a good academy, the coaching’s fantastic. Luke was playing two years above his age so then I got put up. When Luke got into the first team and then got his move to Manchester United, I was just breaking through and Ronald Koeman gave me the opportunity. I played a couple of games and I was terrible but they still said, ‘Don’t worry, you’ve got so much potential.’” Targett made 63 appearances for Southampton, also playing 21 times on loan at Fulham in 2018, including in the Championship play-off final win over Villa. He was behind Ryan Bertrand at Southampton, and Villa came calling in July 2019. “It wasn’t a difficult decision,” he says. “I did have a chat with my family and they said, ‘It’s the time in your career where you’ve got to move on’.

“When I first joined Villa I didn’t realise how big the club was. The fans, the love they have for the team. I go to Sainsbury’s to do my food shop, and I’ll bump into ten fans and they all say ‘Up the Villa’. “Villa fans are everywhere. We miss a full Holte End, especially this season because we’re doing so well. When that’s up and roaring it’s a special place.” Targett is very aware of Villa’s European Cup heritage. “They have the [1982] trophy just to the left of the tunnel,” he says. “Every time we walk out we see the trophy. It would be nice if this team could add to that trophy cabinet. Getting into Europe has got to be the aim and with the squad we’ve got, never say never. The Premier League’s not the same this year, there’s been some crazy results. If we’re on our game, we can beat anyone.”

His other aim this season is England. “That’s one of my targets. When I signed for Villa, I remember the phone call with Dean Smith and he said he wants to turn me into one of England’s left backs. This season I think I’m developing well and hopefully the next step for me is to get that England call-up.” As he prepares for his 50th Premier League start for Villa, against Leicester City tomorrow, a toughened Targett is meeting and raising expectations."

Great interview. Really interesting to hear him say how much Terry in particular has helped him improve his defending.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2021 at 01:09, dont_do_it_doug. said:

His first touch has always been exquisite and the basic ingredients were there, but he seems to have added everything else to his game to go with it, including the physicality. I wonder if he has been working with Ollie Stephens? 

Maybe he can add a yard of pace, like Jack?

yeah, could be Dave.....his physicality is more robust, for sure.

I've never liked him, always thought he's playing in the wrong division, mainly because he's so slow.

Now I'm late to the party, but he has been absolutely wonderful for a while now. Clearly our best player again today. I'm sold.

Â