Matt Targett

villan-scott

14 hours ago, TRO said:

too much ball watching and not enough "Man watching".......Dreamy,dreamy,dreamy.

Elmo is not a natural on the back post, seen him do that before....lacks concentration.

Oops, just said that earlier.

That was McGinn's man - Elmo should have been able to rely on the free midfielder whose job it was to pick up runners, to actually do his job. 

43 minutes ago, lexicon said:

That was McGinn's man - Elmo should have been able to rely on the free midfielder whose job it was to pick up runners, to actually do his job. 

Mcgoldrick, a striker, scored. I don't want my midfielder ... Who has 3 men to contend with in there, to be made to pick a runner. It's a defenders job to do that. Elmo had to be aware of the back post movement from mcgoldrick. He didn't and drifted inside for some strange reason.

If cash was playing, I think we may have seen a simple clearance made. The difference between our first XI and what's behind it will cost us this season, as said all along. This is another example of that.

• Like 2

I think other night was a bad day at the office for him as well as a few others. He’s had a great season and very much improved.

Personally though, I don’t think he is good enough for England. At a push there might be a case if Grealish is playing on the left, then that partnership is very familiar with each other and there are advantages to that.

I’d love him to prove me wrong though.

7 hours ago, lexicon said:

I think its a full backs job to defend a back post ball and the other full backs job, to stop the cross.

If players are out of position, then that becomes a different ball game, because they have to cover.....but in ideal circumstances its the full backs job to cover the posts.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Mcgoldrick, a striker, scored. I don't want my midfielder ... Who has 3 men to contend with in there, to be made to pick a runner. It's a defenders job to do that. Elmo had to be aware of the back post movement from mcgoldrick. He didn't and drifted inside for some strange reason.

If cash was playing, I think we may have seen a simple clearance made. The difference between our first XI and what's behind it will cost us this season, as said all along. This is another example of that.

McGoldrick ran in from midfield - McGinn was doing absolutely bloody nothing and wasn't paying attention. It's on him. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lexicon said:

McGoldrick ran in from midfield - McGinn was doing absolutely bloody nothing and wasn't paying attention. It's on him. 

He also ran past Elmo whilst Elmo drifted inside. There's 2 centre backs marking 1 man. 1 is spare. Elmo is not needed as a spare man too. His domain is the back post. He drifts inside from his supposed defensive position.

If mcginn goes with mcgoldrick, the guy 25 yards out is left unmarked for a free shot on goal. You can see mcginn drift towards him. It is never and has never been a midfielders job to mark a striker, wether he's running from deep or not, when there's 2 free defenders to do that job. He could've perhaps communicated with Elmo 'thats your man', who's to say he didn't? We don't know. It's not on mcginn, not in the slightest.

• Like 1

To honest it's all a moot point Elmo had the back post covered he just let the ball go, if he is not sure that there is nobody behind he should be clearing it, if he does that everything else is irrelevant 

57 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I don't care, where he ran from....The back post is the full backs responsibility, he should be aware of who is behind him....its basic full back awareness.....Elmo was ball watching and unaware of who was behind him....and its not the first time, and I quite like him.

you can't do that as a full back.....you have to nail that back post.

I understand your reasoning, but McGinn is a midfielder, there to help out,make up the numbers, not necessarily his prime function.

He was poor on Wednesday below his standards but still bizarre he is being blamed for the goal. He showed the wing back onto his bad foot and he shanked a shot which was going miles wide

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't care, where he ran from....The back post is the full backs responsibility, he should be aware of who is behind him....its basic full back awareness.....Elmo was ball watching and unaware of who was behind him....and its not the first time, and I quite like him.

you can't do that as a full back.....you have to nail that back post.

I understand your reasoning, but McGinn is a midfielder, there to help out,make up the numbers, not necessarily his prime function.

18 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

He also ran past Elmo whilst Elmo drifted inside. There's 2 centre backs marking 1 man. 1 is spare. Elmo is not needed as a spare man too. His domain is the back post. He drifts inside from his supposed defensive position.

If mcginn goes with mcgoldrick, the guy 25 yards out is left unmarked for a free shot on goal. You can see mcginn drift towards him. It is never and has never been a midfielders job to mark a striker, wether he's running from deep or not, when there's 2 free defenders to do that job. He could've perhaps communicated with Elmo 'thats your man', who's to say he didn't? We don't know. It's not on mcginn, not in the slightest.

McGinn has nothing to do other than keep his head on a swivel and prevent runners. Look how close McGoldrick is to him. How does he not notice/hear anything? Why doesn't he shout Elmo?

It's absolutely ridiculous that you're both putting this squarely at Elmo's feet. Mindboggling. 

mcginn.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

McGinn has nothing to do other than keep his head on a swivel and prevent runners. Look how close McGoldrick is to him. How does he not notice/hear anything? Why doesn't he shout Elmo?

It's absolutely ridiculous that you're both putting this squarely at Elmo's feet. Mindboggling. 

mcginn.jpg

In my opinion it is the responsibility of the whole team to defend when necessary. An example being Barkley deciding not to pursue Maddison for Leicester's first goal. It's not my job isn't an excuse. 

Anyway, we simply switched off against Sheffield. I still can't believe we lost that game actually. Wolves can't come soon enough to help eradicate it from my mind!!! 

1 minute ago, birdman said:

In my opinion it is the responsibility of the whole team to defend when necessary. An example being Barkley deciding not to pursue Maddison for Leicester's first goal. It's not my job isn't an excuse. 

Anyway, we simply switched off against Sheffield. I still can't believe we lost that game actually. Wolves can't come soon enough to help eradicate it from my mind!!! 

I agree - it's a team game, after all. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lexicon said:

mcginn.jpg

I notice from this still you conveniently leave out the man completely unmarked about 25 yards out (just to the right of this shot). HE is mcginns man. 

Konsa is marking Brewster.

Nakamba is marking the 3.

Mings is spare/cover for the left side. 

Ramsey is clearly trying to get in and help out targett who gets caught.

If mcginn follows Mcgoldrick and the ball gets laid to the man 25 yards out, you criticise Mcginn for being in Elmo's position. 

Any still can make anything look bad and make you interpret it the way you want, particularly when it doesn't show the whole picture. Show the still from a couple of seconds later and include the man on the edge and you see Mcginn marking his man and Elmo caught out. You can see Elmo drifting inside in this very picture from the direction of travel. Perhaps the communication from Mcginn is the problem, he should be screaming at Elmo that he has a man on and then get closer to his man. He is NOT at fault for not following Mcgoldrick and any coach at any level would tell you so.

Every man has his job when defending and if you do that job well, you reduce the risk of conceding. Elmo's, as a full back, is the back post when crossing from the other side. Mcginns responsibility is the man unmarked 25 yards out. Without any question.

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

I notice from this still you conveniently leave out the man completely unmarked about 25 yards out (just to the right of this shot). HE is mcginns man. 

Konsa is marking Brewster.

Nakamba is marking the 3.

Mings is spare/cover for the left side. 

Ramsey is clearly trying to get in and help out targett who gets caught.

If mcginn follows Mcgoldrick and the ball gets laid to the man 25 yards out, (1)you criticise Mcginn for being in Elmo's position. 

Any still can make anything look bad and make you interpret it the way you want, particularly when it doesn't show the whole picture. (2) Show the still from a couple of seconds later and include the man on the edge and you see Mcginn marking his man and Elmo caught out. You can see Elmo drifting inside in this very picture from the direction of travel. Perhaps the communication from Mcginn is the problem, he should be screaming at Elmo that he has a man on and then get closer to his man. (3) He is NOT at fault for not following Mcgoldrick and any coach at any level would tell you so.

Every man has his job when defending and if you do that job well, you reduce the risk of conceding. Elmo's, as a full back, is the back post when crossing from the other side. Mcginns responsibility is the man unmarked 25 yards out. Without any question

1) No, I wouldn't because he'd actually be defending instead of jogging around watching the game pass him by. 

2) You mean the guy 20 yards from him? That's not marking him. McGinn is in no-man's land. 

3) OK, find us some coaches from any level to address this point. It's a baseless claim at this juncture.

Look I'm not saying that Elmo isn't also to blame, but it's clear as day that McGinn has played a big part in this cock up. 

39 minutes ago, lexicon said:

1) No, I wouldn't because he'd actually be defending instead of jogging around watching the game pass him by. 

2) You mean the guy 20 yards from him? That's not marking him. McGinn is in no-man's land

3) OK, find us some coaches from any level to address this point. It's a baseless claim at this juncture.

Look I'm not saying that Elmo isn't also to blame, but it's clear as day that McGinn has played a big part in this cock up. 

Spot on, he is. Going with mcgoldrick takes him further away from where he should be, however. 

The reason he is in no man's land is because is because he is pressuring the left back in the build up (a job Elmo should be doing?) Nakamba closes mcgoldrick who switches it... Nakamba works hard and gets back in, goal side of his man, as you can see from the still.

If you want to criticise Mcginn, it should be for not working hard enough to get close to his man (the man he ends up 20 yards away from). He knows that's where he should be because when the original shot comes in.. he makes a move towards that man in case of a lay off. Or, for not communicating with Elmo there's a man coming onto the back post. Not following Mcgoldrick isn't a reason to criticise Mcginn. 

Â