Matt Targett

villan-scott

4 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I must say I thought he had another average performance, although better than Wednesday. He could be even more active going forward, especially now that Jack is away.

Wolves attacked down his side all game so wasn't so easy to get forward. Neto for all his energy I dont think created anything in play

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AVTuco said:

I must say I thought he had another average performance, although better than Wednesday. He could be even more active going forward, especially now that Jack is away.

At the same time, when Jack plays he can burst forward and be confident Jack won't lose it. Whereas you are taking a massive risk with Trezeguet in front of you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Wolves attacked down his side all game so wasn't so easy to get forward. Neto for all his energy I dont think created anything in play

There was that one break from our corner where Targett tracked him all the way and Martinez had to make the save but other than that I thought he handled him very well, forcing Neto to switch to the left towards the end to try and get something going.

5 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

At the same time, when Jack plays he can burst forward and be confident Jack won't lose it. Whereas you are taking a massive risk with Trezeguet in front of you.

True, but we really need more offense without Jack, and a more offensive-minded Targett could be part of the answer. He has the ability.

On 06/03/2021 at 12:02, lexicon said:

McGinn has nothing to do other than keep his head on a swivel and prevent runners. Look how close McGoldrick is to him. How does he not notice/hear anything? Why doesn't he shout Elmo?

It's absolutely ridiculous that you're both putting this squarely at Elmo's feet. Mindboggling. 

mcginn.jpg

I just don't agree with your interpretation.

Konsa has got the 24.......Nakamba has the 3.

McGinn should have McGoldrick but he is behind him....McGinn is ball watching too

If Elmo, was further back, knowing his mates have a man.....He would see McGoldrick running behind McGinn, but he can't, because he is in line with McGinn....and he has NO man and he is ball watching, IMV, he is out of position, considering the positions of our other players.

I am not saying, McGinn is blameless, he too is ball watching and unaware of McGoldrick....but I still say the back post is a full backs responsibility....If you play it on, he actually lets the ball go out wide, without actually knowing if someone was lurking there.

i.e If I ran a pub and left someone in charge, and went out, and it kicked off, I would still be responsible, even if I wasn't there as I am the Licensee, its my responsibilty.

Edited by TRO

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Deserved a call-up. 

he did. as did konsa, and cash if he were fit. you could easily make a case for england having a villa back 4. 5 if we can convince emi to choose to play for england. not everyone was going to get in, they'll all get their chance i'm sure

• Like 1

Curled in some decent free kicks first half.

Genuinely interested why we can't have him taking the corners. I guess it's because we want him back to defend any counters with Cash but surely just drop a midfielder back like Sanson or Luiz?

We waste so many corners with criminal delivery.

• 2 weeks later...

Been so impressed with him this season, He showed glimpses last season but overall was weak and lacked commitment in tackles, also looked like too much of a "nice guy". This season He looks like he's bulked up and really imposed himself on games, overall the team looks tougher.

2 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Outside of Grealish I think he has the best first touch in the squad.

maybe Bertrand but Targett not so far behind. He has really turned the corner with our fanbase because last summer he was one of the players a lot wanted to replace

At the start of the season,  I would have been happy to see him go out on loan, like Fred has, and for us to buy a new left sided full back to replace him instead of buying Cash.

A small example of why Armchair managers are not to be trusted. 

Had an amazing season and I would put him alongside Konsa as the most consistent performer in our team (factoring in Grealish having missed so much of it). Could still step up the quality of his deliveries from time to time, but he's improved immensely and seems to have the attitude to keep improving. 

Â