Matt Targett

villan-scott

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He was really good last season as well, I'm not sure why people were hard on him last year. He's a very solid fullback

This for me, some people I think had an issue because he got injured a few times so was labelled soft. He was probably our 3rd or 4th best player last season

• Like 1

He always had technical ability but he was a bit of a Peter Whittingham in that he was a bit meek and unassuming. He was also a yard slower last season which meant he could not block the crosses. Now you can see that speed off the mark has turned him from an average to very good left back.  Another player that has come in and has been coached to become better at his job. 

• Like 1

This guy, man.  Very little gets past him these days - and he's pretty decent in the air too, apparently.  Plus that link up play with Jack.

I wasn't sold originally - he was an upgrade and that was about it.  Now?  I mean, he's never going to be as good as Chilwell can be etc, but he's knocking that sort of door.

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Superb tonight but little surprise these days, his level of consistency now is quite something.

I absolutely love him.

I've gone from being surprised that his man doesn't beat him to being surprised when his man does beat him. A rock on that left side and looks so much fitter than last season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I've gone from being surprised that his man doesn't beat him to being surprised when his man does beat him. A rock on that left side and looks so much fitter than last season.

It isn't an exaggeration to say that he looks faster, stronger, fitter and I think more aggressive. His progress is remarkable.

• Like 1

Always loved him as a footballer. I cant remember the last defender we had with some a brilliant weight of pass and comfort to receive the ball.

Took it to the next level now though. One ball played in the air tonight and I just new Targett was coming out to absolutely clear house. Boom. Jedinak header.

He has it all.

i liked him last season, regardless of all the criticism, he had some issues last year but it was clear he was talented.

This season he has really kicked on, improved his defensive game and he looks solid as a rock.

£14m???, absolute steal.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It isn't an exaggeration to say that he looks faster, stronger, fitter and I think more aggressive. His progress is remarkable.

It is akin to the change Grealish made in the summer of 2018 when he just looked a completely different specimen. Worlds apart from one season to the next.

Maybe it changed during lockdown not the summer but the point still stands.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

His takedown and pass to jack in the lead up to the goal hardly got mentioned. It was world class. Absolutely wonderful LB. He is seriously in the argument for player of the season other than Jack. So important for us. Just gets better and better. 

Thought he was fantastic against Burnley too but obviously the shine got taken off that performance with how the game went. Brilliant again tonight,  most tackles of any Villa player in a single game this season apparently/third highest overall in the league. Always had the footballing ability but his game has come on leaps and bounds in such a short period of time, fair play to him.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Superb tonight but little surprise these days, his level of consistency now is quite something.

I absolutely love him.

It's incredible. He's still got all his quality as a ball-player, but with real bravery and defensive vision too.

Like Jack, and Trez, he looks like he's got stronger and quicker too.

Â