Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yes pals - guy looks poo against Walsall in a game that has no bearing on anything, and after he’s had a serious injury. 

“he’s shit let’s replace”

Thats the VT I know and love 😎

You've quoted "he's shit let's replace" ?

Who said that or have you just made it up for the drama ?

6 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

You've quoted "he's shit let's replace" ?

Who said that or have you just made it up for the drama ?

Dramatic effect with a nod to those saying we should replace him. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

You can be as fit as Usain Bolt but if you've not been regularly playing 90 mins of intense Prem level competitive football you will always struggle to get match sharpness, positioning and movement back.

Bolt joined Central Coast Mariners in Australian League on trial and scored a couple of goals in a friendly but didn't stay beyond trial

• Like 1

I think any talk of letting him go or loaning him is a bit premature. I think for what he has been through to come back from that fully could take a good while. Maybe even a season or two. Can we wait that long, probably not however, I'm sure that the powers that be are looking at his stats in training and judging him on that. The club will know if he can come back, or at least have a good idea and I would anticipate that if what they are seeing is improving they will give him every chance to prove himself. Even if that means bring in someone to challenge the back up slot and hopefully spark some real competition to cover Ollie. 

A handful of minutes at the backend of the season, zero competitive football and 45min tonight. It's going to take much more than that to get any player sharp never mind a player coming back after 14 months. He wasn't the only one looking off keel tonight either, several players who haven't been injured and only been away for a couple of months looked well off the pace. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its not really an option to sell him or loan him given how much we spent on him. I think he will stay to fight for second choice spot with A. N. Other our new backup striker :)

He may still come good but I dont see him fighting with Ollie for number 1 right now. We got a glimpse of our strike force without ollie today and it hasnt changed since last season. We dont have enough firepower to push for Europe but more than enough to stay up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

He hasn't 'just' come back, he was in the squad a few times before the end of last season having played for u23 and a friendly or two organised. He was in training 2 or 3 months before playing and has also had the summer to get in shape. 

great job GIF by Captain Obvious

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, smg said:

Sell him, not good enough, never was even before a near career ending injury, then watch him develop into a top class player signing for a top European or premier league team. I believe Spurs are about to sign a shit ex goalkeeper of ours, and let’s not forget Gueye, Veretout and Amavi who were not up to it. Apparently.

Funny thing is, the people who say sell him.  Whose going to give us any decent money for him at the moment after 18 months.  Even if they are totally convinced he needs to go (I don’t know how) how do they think that would happen.  I agree with you but even if consider their argument I don’t think they have thought it through.

• Like 1

It's been apparent from very early on that he wasn't going to pull up trees at Villa. That's not to say he's got no ability or won't go on to have a decent career but he started slowly and never seemed to find his feet. Whether that was about to happen after a decent showing at Burnley when he was cruelly scythed down by a berkshire hunt who should be banned from playing professional football by now, we'll probably never ever know.

I like big Wes, for what it's worth. It's just never clicked for him here, and with Ollie Watkins looking like the next Vardy and Kane all rolled into one, I'm sad to say I think he's mostly done at Villa except as cover for maybe one more season before we try to flog him.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

Funny thing is, the people who say sell him.  Whose going to give us any decent money for him at the moment after 18 months.  Even if they are totally convinced he needs to go (I don’t know how) how do they think that would happen.  I agree with you but even if consider their argument I don’t think they have thought it through.

The only way his value will improve is playing him. He wasn't good enough before he was injured. You think he will get the game time here to develop and improve ? 

I think even wes biggest fans will have to accept he isn't going to be getting regular minutes here.

So the only options are sell him to release wages and recover some funds or loan him out for the year in order for him to improve and get match fit.

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't see the point in selling him but I do think it's a gamble having him as our main back up to Watkins. 

The drop off in quality is huge  

Can we see him in friendly with Buendia before writing him off. Brad Young too. Same age as Greenwood when he broke into Manure team 2 seasons ago

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Its not really an option to sell him or loan him given how much we spent on him.

I don’t think we will or should sell him but at this point from an FFP perspective his worth on our books is ~£12m so any hit would be less painful than when we signed him at £22m. Still would think a loan more likely if they do decide to move him on though.

24 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Can we see him in friendly with Buendia before writing him off. Brad Young too. Same age as Greenwood when he broke into Manure team 2 seasons ago

I think expecting Buendia to suddenly turn him into a top striker is a reach. 

Like I said, I don't think we should sell him so I'm more than happy to see how he develops this year. I'm not convinced by him though, especially now our aims are towards that top 6. 

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Bolt joined Central Coast Mariners in Australian League on trial and scored a couple of goals in a friendly but didn't stay beyond trial

As a football player, Usain Bolt makes an excellent 100 metre runner.

That is all.

• Like 1

Needs a loan needs games and club needs to assess what kind of footballer he is nowadays.

He won't get that sitting on our bench and Watkins playing 38 games a season.

We need to go in the market for a stop gap striker and let these 2 go out on loan.

Wes wasn't sharp enough before the injury. He won't be now. And he won't get sharp with out rigid 451 and Davis getting about 8 minutes on average last year.

He looks like he has put on a lot of muscle to me which doesn’t help. He was quite slender when he first arrived but wasn’t the quickest. Now he has baulked up his movement and overall game looks far too slow. Fitness isn’t going to address this imo.

9 hours ago, brummybloke said:

I understand what you are saying, but the problem is, wes had those weaknesses before he got injured and was match fit.

I wanted him to be our star striker, he isn't going to be that player, never was for his previous team and while he is still young, I just can't see him improving his weaknesses significantly.  Its then a question of what we do with him ?

I would loan him out for half the season to see how he gets on, he will get regular playing time and that would be his chance to improve without us risking playing him and him not being effective or him sitting on the bench.

It really all depends on how he performs in the next 4 weeks. If Dean can see enough that he can have an impact this season then he'll stay around and Davis will be loaned out. If he looks like he needs that run of games then Wes will be loaned out, but only until January. I think this hinges on if Bailey for example is signed and he can play CF if needed and we keep Davis.

Whatever happens I see one of Wes or Davis out on loan and it will be based on who is the most ready in next 3/4 weeks to have impact right now for the team. 

Â