Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

If you watch the full video (follow the link and login for free), towards the end (3:44) it’s clear to see that Wesley’s assist was clearly intentional and not a case of mis-controlling the ball. Wes enjoys link up play and lay offs which is why he tends to drop deep, I think we’d all like him to get in the box more and be more of a target but we’d need to work on his natural tendencies:

He does a similar thing in the build up to the final goal too.

Personally, I’m looking forward to seeing how he does in the next friendlies. Way too soon to be writing him off or be overly critical… he can make a contribution this season and isn’t under huge pressure or in a massive rush. He has time on his side…

Ollie is our main man and is reliable for us, we managed last season (although I realise every season isn’t the same and anything can happen).

The bigger issue was missing Jack and Barkley’s complete loss of form, Ollie was feeding off scraps at times and having to create opportunities for himself e.g. Everton.

Buendia and 1 or 2 others will address that…

Davis didn’t get much of a look in anyway, a fit and firing Wes will be of greater benefit…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Jas, has anyone actually said this? 

I can’t recall word for word but I’m sure there were one or two comments saying that he miscontrolled the ball or took a heavy touch and so couldn’t take the shot… either on here or Twitter…

Just now, Jas10 said:

I can’t recall word for word but I’m sure there were one or two comments saying that he miscontrolled the ball or took a heavy touch and so couldn’t take the shot… either on here or Twitter…

Absolute, total and utter unadulterated bullshit and classic of some of our fanbases' attitude towards the poor guy tbh. 

It was a clean assist, he was involved nicely in the build up to both 2nd half goals. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Jas, has anyone actually said this? 

Actually yeah, at least one person. I just looked back a few pages. Said he should’ve shot but had too heavy a touch…

It’s easy to see it that way though, not so clear from the normal viewpoint.

The “pitchside” vid I linked is a much better and closer view and removes any doubts imo.

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

Absolute, total and utter unadulterated bullshit and classic of some of our fanbases' attitude towards the poor guy tbh. 

It was a clean assist, he was involved nicely in the build up to both 2nd half goals. 

I don’t blame anyone for seeing it that way, on initial glance anyway. 

Lack of match practise, fitness & form would give credence to that assumption. I wouldn’t think that anyone is intentionally trying to write him off but have their doubts…

You need a good/proper view to tell and this vid has cleared it up.

I just hope Wes can demonstrate his ability and make a telling contribution, a good option to have…

5 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Yes.I noticed that he seemed to be better at setting up goals than scorin them but then what position will he play ?

Oh no, not this again. 

No, he isn't good at chance creation or setting up goals either. I don't know where this myth comes from but what the stats show is that he's actually very **** poor at that. He averaged a single key pass every 2 games before he got injured. Garbage expected assist numbers. Had a single assist in near 2000 minutes of action and it was a simple pass to Dougie who curled it from long range against Norwich.(The assist is at 8:50)

And no, its not a case of him making the pass before the final assist either. His SCA numbers are one of the worst the entire league for the PL that season for a forward.

I'm well aware that stats don't tell the whole picture but **** hell in this case, every single stat tells the same story. He was **** garbage at setting up goals for other players. It might literally be the worst aspect of his game as a striker. 

I find this argument only marginally better than the he "creates space for other players" argument. No, he's just shit. Its like people realize he's clearly not good at the traditional and obvious striker roles and then just assume he must be good at something else that we can't as easily observe.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

On 22/07/2021 at 13:00, Stevo985 said:

I actually thought Wesley was fine for us when he played. He's no Ollie Watkins but I think he'll be good enough to be a stand in this season

Agree. New country, new (shit) team, and he scored 4/5 goals before his injury. It’s a difficult situation because he isn’t really going to get enough match time to probably impress much as we’d like, but he was decent in his first few months and did something that KD has struggled with, he got goals. 

No issue going into this season as back up IMO 

@Jas10 @Steero113  I thought Wesley's first touch was well controlled as he was running with the ball, he then played the ball perfectly to Philogene-Bidace for his goal.

Yet if you look back a few pages it was @DCJonah who thought his touch was bad and criticised him for it but yet gave him no praise for his pass. I argued if his first touch was bad he'd have checked his run or got tackled but did not. Hence, good touch, good pass.

I think some just dislike Wesley unfortunately and it clouds their views.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

@Jas10 @Steero113  I thought Wesley's first touch was well controlled as he was running with the ball, he then played the ball perfectly to Philogene-Bidace for his goal.

Yet if you look back a few pages it was @DCJonah who thought his touch was bad and criticised him for it but yet gave him no praise for his pass. I argued if his first touch was bad he'd have checked his run or got tackled but did not. Hence, good touch, good pass.

I think some just dislike Wesley unfortunately and it clouds their views.

I don't think he lit the half up by any stretch, but at the end of the day he got an assist and played a major part in the 4th goal as well. 

That's a hell of a lot more than say, SJM, J. Ramsey or even Chuk managed in the game. 

Give the guy a chance, they can't all be Buendia. 

• Like 1

I didn’t even see the game, but surely that’s the longest he played in nearly 2 years? Can’t a man be rusty after that long out? Better to shake off the rust in preseason than in real matches  

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Oh no, not this again. 

No, he isn't good at chance creation or setting up goals either. I don't know where this myth comes from but what the stats show is that he's actually very **** poor at that. He averaged a single key pass every 2 games before he got injured. Garbage expected assist numbers. Had a single assist in near 2000 minutes of action and it was a simple pass to Dougie who curled it from long range against Norwich.(The assist is at 8:50)

And no, its not a case of him making the pass before the final assist either. His SCA numbers are one of the worst the entire league for the PL that season for a forward.

I'm well aware that stats don't tell the whole picture but **** hell in this case, every single stat tells the same story. He was **** garbage at setting up goals for other players. It might literally be the worst aspect of his game as a striker. 

I find this argument only marginally better than the he "creates space for other players" argument. No, he's just shit. Its like people realize he's clearly not good at the traditional and obvious striker roles and then just assume he must be good at something else that we can't as easily observe.

Feel any better now?

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Steero113 said:

It is kind of wild what they expect from some of our players. Wesley has an assist and was involved in the build up for a 2nd. And Guilbert should have had 2 assists but they are getting no end of shit because they weren't Watkins or Buendia 2 of our 5 best players atm. 

• Like 1

He obviously didn't have the legs to take the ball in his stride and run away from the defence hence he shuffled it and played Philogene-Bidace in. End result goal for Villa. Couldn't care less who scores them and how we score them as long as we score loads.

8 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

He obviously didn't have the legs to take the ball in his stride and run away from the defence hence he shuffled it and played Philogene-Bidace in. End result goal for Villa. Couldn't care less who scores them and how we score them as long as we score loads.

I mean the other defender was in an excellent position to cover him off. So he took a touch closer and played bidace in that's not "not having the legs" it is just being smart. 

Just watched the highlights again. Previous I'd seen had PB goal without any build up. Was nice build up play from Davis and great ball from Wesley for assist and he looked really leggy so still a way to go.

• Like 1

Â