Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

39 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think Wes and/or Davis maybe options to come of the bench for the last 20 minutes or so. But (Heaven forbid) if Watkins got a long term injury neither would good enough to step in. We do have other options:-

Traore and AEG - I beleive on occasions have played CF

Brad Young and Louie Barry from the u23's 

That's why i think maybe if we buy that Bailey at least he can play across the front line and if Watkins gets injured then at least he can jump in for Watkins while Traore jump on the right.

• Like 1

No doubt he needs some first team game time to get his confidence back. Feel like you can see a hesitancy in his general play at the moment.

Need to remember he had an horrendous injury, it’s still going to take him some time to get back to normal.

Feel like we’ll start seeing the best of him towards the end of the year - hopefully before, but needs patience. 

• Like 1

I think Wes is fine as back up given Oli is a freak who never gets injured. Give Wes the cup games to build his fitness/sharpness and to keep Oli fresh for the league. Yes Oli could get get knobbled in the first game but that is true of most teams in the league - very few teams have a an equal replacement to step in when a player gets injured. 
Wes was our record signing not too long back, if we sold him now we’d be lucky to recover 10% of the fee so we may as well continue to develop him as second or third striker. 

52 minutes ago, The Rosk said:

go by stats alone

In a relegation-scrapping, brand new team put together with one month's notice, Wesley got 6 in 22 - scoring ratio of 27.3%

In a better, more established team, Watkins got 14 in 37 - scoring ratio of 37.8%

We see Watkins as a demi-god on here, but is that really such a huge difference in output when you consider the difference between the two sides they were in?   

There's a massive different in output.

Goals scored, goals created, big chances created ,pressing, tackling.

I haven't bothered looking them up because i don't need to as I have watched every game wes has played in the Premier league and watched every game bar probably 1 in which watkins had played.

While I don't think anyone believes watkins is a demi god, he is compared to wes output. We need another striker closer to watkins level rather than Wesley's.

A slower league like Italy, im sure wes would shine, I have serious doubts he has the skill set to shine in the Premier league. Not a bad thing for him, many players have come to the UK as the next big thing, flopped and gone to a slower paced league and played amazing.

24 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

what's wrong with giving the benefit of the doubt for as long as possible? OK hogan didn't work out but i guarantee if i go back to early pages of the matty targett thread that also probably had a 'scott hogan' vibe to it

There isn't. It was more an observation than a criticism. Just starting to get the same vibes. 

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think he looked great. Still need a backup striker in my opinion although maybe not a priority. 

He didn't look great? That's his first senior appearance in like 20 months isn't it. Off the bench in a friendly, I think he did just fine. Was about the place and gave off a nice assist.

• Like 3

I thinks it’s too soon to make any assumptions or judgements.. let’s see how he does in the next couple of games at least…

He has time and isn’t under pressure…

I’d like to see him play while Buendia is on the pitch too but he also has to be encouraged to get in the box and make runs, show he has that finishing ability…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It was a good pass. Excellent awareness and he put him through. But that was not a good touch. No good striker gets played through the defence and decides to control the ball backwards or sideways. He tried to take it in his stride but messed it up. 

That ball gets played to Watkins and its a goal for him. 

If it wasn't a good touch as you incorrectly say Wesley would have needed to stop or check his run; he didn't he kept running with the ball and played his pass. There was no backwards, he kept running towards goal.

It was a great pass from Davis, a neat touch from Wesley and an even better pass onto the run of Philogene-Bidace. A well-worked goal.

Swear to McGrath some people just want to be negative to have an argument.

The pre-season matches are about fitness and match-fitness, two aspects Wesley has greatly missed for what seems like years. He's going to take some time, chill.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

He didn't look great? That's his first senior appearance in like 20 months isn't it. Off the bench in a friendly, I think he did just fine. Was about the place and gave off a nice assist.

No, he had a couple appearances at the back end of last season.

1 hour ago, TH said:

No doubt he needs some first team game time to get his confidence back. Feel like you can see a hesitancy in his general play at the moment.

Need to remember he had an horrendous injury, it’s still going to take him some time to get back to normal.

Feel like we’ll start seeing the best of him towards the end of the year - hopefully before, but needs patience. 

is his best good enough though ?  -IMO it isn't. 

59 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

If it wasn't a good touch as you incorrectly say Wesley would have needed to stop or check his run; he didn't he kept running with the ball and played his pass. There was no backwards, he kept running towards goal.

It was a great pass from Davis, a neat touch from Wesley and an even better pass onto the run of Philogene-Bidace. A well-worked goal.

Swear to McGrath some people just want to be negative to have an argument.

The pre-season matches are about fitness and match-fitness, two aspects Wesley has greatly missed for what seems like years. He's going to take some time, chill.

I'm quite chilled. There's no pressure on Wesley and if he doesn't come good we will sign someone. Just pointing out he didn't look great and I think his assist came from a poor touch. 

It is about fitness, but as Brian Little said numerous times, pre season is also about those fringe players showing something. I'm waiting to be convinced by him. And after his initial period with us, he's got someway to go. 

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I thought he looked well off the pace. Cumbersome almost. But I guess he has always looked a bit like that.

Hope he comes good but I just can’t see it.

I haven't seen much from him to think he has what's needed either pre or post injury.  Can't picture us taking ollie off and chucking him on if we're trailing a game, so what's the point?

Happy to support him and be proven wrong obviously ...

I think tactically for the team both strikers can play their part - Ollie runs the wings and hustles the backline while Wesley is more target man.  Both can bring the midfielders into the game but overall i think Ollie is more of a natural finisher.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

He certainly never showed that when he played for us, I'd fancy Watkins as a target man over him. 

True, i think Ollie is more developed Or maybe Wesley is like lukaku built like a target man but prefers to run at defences.  We will see what his role is next season.

Â