Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

I just can't see a future for him here.

Watkins will play every game bar the early cup fixtures.

Watkins is just a miles better footballer than him. It's as simple as that.

Think he will leave next summer. Possibly in January

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I just can't see a future for him here.

Watkins will play every game bar the early cup fixtures.

Watkins is just a miles better footballer than him. It's as simple as that.

Think he will leave next summer. Possibly in January

Is there no science out there that can create a hybrid of the two maybe ?

I would very much like to get a striker in and send Keinan out to get a full season on the pitch. 

Wes will not be making much of an impact for us this season.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Think he'd look a lot better with emi on the pitch. The one time someone played a through ball to him we scored. Why didn't we try that again. 

Its a fair point. First half we had Emi making world class passes from the center circle into the box.

Second half we had conor as provider, a good player but he doesnt have that kind of pass in his locker he tried it twice and both times it didnt beat the first Walsall player.

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Its a fair point. First half we had Emi making world class passes from the center circle into the box.

Second half we had conor as provider, a good player but he doesnt have that kind of pass in his locker he tried it twice and both times it didnt beat the first Walsall player.

To put up the counter argument he should be able to hold his own and at least look a little bit threatening against a League Two side without being handheld by the best player.

• Like 1

When we signed him I was hoping for a legend, record signing, Brazilian....

But having watched him play several times pre injury, I was not a fan, too slow, not in the box enough, poor positioning, falling over and complaining at the slightest contact, and just generally being not very good as a forward how we need a forward to be.

Tonight he was same old same old, his fitness levels should be better than the rest, he has been in full training for what, 4 or 5 months and I presume throughout preseason to make sure he is ready to go. As the senior forward player he didn't direct, get involved or do much of anything bar a throughball.

Can he improve ? I'm not so sure he will get better than he was pre injury which for me wasn't good enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

To put up the counter argument he should be able to hold his own and at least look a little bit threatening against a League Two side without being handheld by the best player.

Agree and totally fair. Wesley (in principle) should be very well recovered at this point. A premier league number 9 like Wesley should be smashing his way through a league two side playing trialists.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Countercounter argument. The fact is when a player isn't played to their strengths they don't look good. When he played with Jota he scored. Jota was a below average Premier league player with a hernia but he was the onyl one who played those through balls to Wesley. Emi loves playing them so I hope we will play them to him as well. Also we didn't really try to play the ball to his feat with runners in behind as he also seems quite effective in those situations as well. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 1

I thought he looked lively to begin with but as the game turned into a walkabout like everyone else second half he turned to walking pace. First 15 minutes of that second half he looked good and up for it.

• Like 3

The difficulty with Wes is that he hasn't really shown the raw qualities needed to be a successful PL striker. The layoff will have hurt his chances of success, but the guys obviously a grafter and has worked extremely hard to get where he is today, which counts for a lot.

Doesn't look like a footballer to me, however he needs to be given a full season with the coaching team to prove himself and I wouldn't be shocked but pleasantly surprised if against the odds he proves people wrong again.

• Like 3

He didn't look great but he still played a part in two goals, one a direct assist (at least i think he did it was hard to see if it was him or Davis on my phone). He would have looked better with Buendia on the pitch - would Watkins have 'smashed his way through a league one side' even it wasn't for two peach through balls? Did he create any other chances on his own?

Davis did sweet t*t all.

The good thing was Wes looked fit and injury free, but it will take a full preseason of games to get him match sharp enough to the point we can fully judge. And even then he might not be good enough.

Watkins is quality and should always be one of the first names on the team sheet, but he needs a back up, he can't and won't play every game of the season, no player plays every game and every season injury free or doesn't suffer dips in form (obviously hope where he is concerned he does). Competition is good for players also, stops complacency.

Edited by VillanousOne

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Tough crowd, poor Wesley has just comeback from a career threatening injury. FFS!

work idiots GIF

He hasn't 'just' come back, he was in the squad a few times before the end of last season having played for u23 and a friendly or two organised. He was in training 2 or 3 months before playing and has also had the summer to get in shape. While I'm glad he has got to a stage he can play football again, it doesn't warrant immunity from criticism for a poor showing against a poor team, friendly or not.

Compared to players who played a whole season previously, he looks slow, poor positioning, not involved.

Just like 70% of the games he played before getting injured.

He is not going to suddenly become a 15 to 20 goal a season striker for us, he lacks the mobility, pace and positioning for our team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Hopefully they mix things up in following trials and we get to see this

yeah i hope so, he might still be crap with Buendia on the pitch, but be nice to see a level playing field as I thought we played much better football all round in the first half, even if there was some sublime individual showings in the second.

I thought McGinn and Connor were poor. Everytime McGinn got the ball he puts himself under pressure and you just wait for him to try and arse one to many players out of the way and lose it or foul someone.

Edited by VillanousOne

10 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

He hasn't 'just' come back, he was in the squad a few times before the end of last season having played for u23 and a friendly or two organised. He was in training 2 or 3 months before playing and has also had the summer to get in shape. While I'm glad he has got to a stage he can play football again, it doesn't warrant immunity from criticism for a poor showing against a poor team, friendly or not.

Compared to players who played a whole season previously, he looks slow, poor positioning, not involved.

Just like 70% of the games he played before getting injured.

He is not going to suddenly become a 15 to 20 goal a season striker for us, he lacks the mobility, pace and positioning for our team.

You can be as fit as Usain Bolt but if you've not been regularly playing 90 mins of intense Prem level competitive football you will always struggle to get match sharpness, positioning and movement back.

I remember some seasons Benteke would play 10-15 games for us and be an unstoppable beast, then he would get injured, be out for 4-6+ games come back and start but literally take another 4-5 games to get his sharpness and beast like qualities back. Having him back in the team after injury didn't mean 'he was fully back.'

I fully admit I don't know if Wes will make it for us though, plenty of doubts and a smattering of hope.

• Like 1

Yes pals - guy looks poo against Walsall in a game that has no bearing on anything, and after he’s had a serious injury. 

“he’s shit let’s replace”

Thats the VT I know and love 😎

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

You can be as fit as Usain Bolt but if you've not been regularly playing 90 mins of intense Prem level competitive football you will always struggle to get match sharpness, positioning and movement back.

I remember some seasons Benteke would play 10-15 games for us and be an unstoppable beast, then he would get injured, be out for 4-6+ games come back and start but literally take another 4-5 games to get his sharpness and beast like qualities back. Having him back in the team after injury didn't mean 'he was fully back.'

I fully admit I don't know if Wes will make it for us though, plenty of doubts and a smattering of hope.

I understand what you are saying, but the problem is, wes had those weaknesses before he got injured and was match fit.

I wanted him to be our star striker, he isn't going to be that player, never was for his previous team and while he is still young, I just can't see him improving his weaknesses significantly.  Its then a question of what we do with him ?

I would loan him out for half the season to see how he gets on, he will get regular playing time and that would be his chance to improve without us risking playing him and him not being effective or him sitting on the bench.

• Like 2

Just now, brummybloke said:

I understand what you are saying, but the problem is, wes had those weaknesses before he got injured and was match fit.

I wanted him to be our star striker, he isn't going to be that player, never was for his previous team and while he is still young, I just can't see him improving his weaknesses significantly.  Its then a question of what we do with him ?

I would loan him out for half the season to see how he gets on, he will get regular playing time and that would be his chance to improve without us risking playing him and him not being effective or him sitting on the bench.

Fair enough, I agree a loan would be a good move.

I'd sooner we loaned him and Davis and bought a back up or gave Barry a chance but that maybe too soon.

• Like 1

Â