Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I wonder if that Mee assault was on Kane or Sterling much more would have been made of it?

Retrospective punishment, rule changes perhaps.

It was an awful challenge, plain and simple.

there was more made of the Pickford tackle on Van Dijk, which was basically the same.

both were reds imo.

I just cant believe we still see these type of tackles, a knee high scissor tackle, its like something you might see on a sunday round the back of the pub, shocking.

• Like 2

Hes looking in absolute peak condition in the training pics, other than the massive scar on his already misized legs. 

As others have said, he was absolutely bossing that Burnley game. It looked like a wake up moment but maybe just a game that suited him? Either way it showed me he has value to give to this team dependent on the circumstances. 

At minimum he stops a back up striker being a priority in this window. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Hes looking in absolute peak condition in the training pics, other than the massive scar on his already misized legs. 

As others have said, he was absolutely bossing that Burnley game. It looked like a wake up moment but maybe just a game that suited him? Either way it showed me he has value to give to this team dependent on the circumstances. 

At minimum he stops a back up striker being a priority in this window. 

I've always been a massive Wes fan and I love the photos but until I see him in action I dont think we can make a judgment.  Any PL can looked ripped and look great in photos but it's what he does in action that matters.  I'm really hopeful though but pre-season is going to be key for him both mentally and physically but it's a great start but way too early to judge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I've always been a massive Wes fan and I love the photos but until I see him in action I dont think we can make a judgment.  Any PL can looked ripped and look great in photos but it's what he does in action that matters.  I'm really hopeful though but pre-season is going to be key for him both mentally and physically but it's a great start but way too early to judge.

If he comes through pre-season in scathed and without a reaction to the injury that's a huge win in itself. Our training sessions are really intense and with the international bods coming back the quality will increase too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

If he comes through pre-season in scathed and without a reaction to the injury that's a huge win in itself. Our training sessions are really intense and with the international bods coming back the quality will increase too.

I've got it on pretty good authority that our training sessions are anything but intense. 

• Haha 2

A lot of the battle is going to be psychological. Will his mind let him go full throttle into 50/50 challenges or will some sort of mental self preservation kick in? It might take some time to get comfortable again.

At least he’s had that taster last season and now a full preseason to get back up to speed. 

• Like 1

I'd love nothing more to see Wesley kick ass next season. However I have concerns over our Backup to Watkins or should I say Backups. 

I had seen a pic of Wesley yesterday training on Facebook and he looked wicked to be fair. His physique has toned up more and he's become more defined i think and he's lost some of that bulk he had, so it does look like he's put some time in to get himself prepared.

Now before his Injury even when we were limited on service and precise crossing he showed he could knock some goals in, who'd of know how many he'd of been on if he hadn't of had that horror injury.

I'm still worried though, an injury to Watkins puts us in danger and a risk to the season increases. We then have to rely on Wesley, word he be ready for that weight once again? I would say Wesley handled the weight wonderfully when we were surviving and it was all on him to get us goal and hold the ball up. In fact be used to do it well considering how slaughtered we would be backed up in our defence. I still believe his falling to the floor alot was a tactic he was told to do lol. Wesley falling to the floor was to give our guys a breather for sure, when your team is so backed up and defending most game, it were pretty smart on the opposition counter for Wesley and others to go to ground at opportunity, it seem to annoy them.

Still worried though, imagine Watkins gets put out for rest of the season, then same thing happens to Wesley or he can not handle the weight of where were trying to go now. I mean a fight for survival is much more different than trying to get to Europe, wesley would have to up his game massively.

I'm still for us buying someone else like Tammy and have two wicked forwards at the club, that's proper firepower in Watkins and Tammy.

• Like 1

On 17/07/2021 at 23:23, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I wonder if that Mee assault was on Kane or Sterling much more would have been made of it?

Retrospective punishment, rule changes perhaps.

It was an awful challenge, plain and simple.

Pickford’s challenge on VVD was newsworthy, nobody said much about the assault on Wesley, absolutely joke really 

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Pickford’s challenge on VVD was newsworthy, nobody said much about the assault on Wesley, absolutely joke really 

pickfords was slightly different for a couple of reasons

it happened in the derby, it took the leagues best CB out for the season, the media and scousers tried to make you believe it had taken out the greatest CB in the history of football out for the season, liverpool were shit that season so missing VVD became a thing, then i think most importantly the whole offside so he got a free hit became a thing, it was widely accepted that it was a horrible tackle that should have been a pen and a red but because the whistle had already blown absolutely nothing was given and that was what generated the debate

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I'd love nothing more to see Wesley kick ass next season. However I have concerns over our Backup to Watkins or should I say Backups. 

I had seen a pic of Wesley yesterday training on Facebook and he looked wicked to be fair. His physique has toned up more and he's become more defined i think and he's lost some of that bulk he had, so it does look like he's put some time in to get himself prepared.

Now before his Injury even when we were limited on service and precise crossing he showed he could knock some goals in, who'd of know how many he'd of been on if he hadn't of had that horror injury.

I'm still worried though, an injury to Watkins puts us in danger and a risk to the season increases. We then have to rely on Wesley, word he be ready for that weight once again? I would say Wesley handled the weight wonderfully when we were surviving and it was all on him to get us goal and hold the ball up. In fact be used to do it well considering how slaughtered we would be backed up in our defence. I still believe his falling to the floor alot was a tactic he was told to do lol. Wesley falling to the floor was to give our guys a breather for sure, when your team is so backed up and defending most game, it were pretty smart on the opposition counter for Wesley and others to go to ground at opportunity, it seem to annoy them.

Still worried though, imagine Watkins gets put out for rest of the season, then same thing happens to Wesley or he can not handle the weight of where were trying to go now. I mean a fight for survival is much more different than trying to get to Europe, wesley would have to up his game massively.

I'm still for us buying someone else like Tammy and have two wicked forwards at the club, that's proper firepower in Watkins and Tammy.

i get you and others wanting Tammy, however it would be a brainless move currently, i also get that you wont see my point below as you and Nick are desperation levels of desperate to get Tammy regardless of the logic of it.

If we had a really strong 11 and had 100m+ to develop the squad i might agree with u (although tbh i still wouldnt - as in that scenario i would buy Tammy anyway).

However, right now, we have a 30m+ striker (Watkins), and a 20m+ striker (Wesley) available for one striker position (this isnt inc. Davis or any youth players who might be able to help as needed).

To spend 40m on Tammy when we really need a CD, a DM and possibly a CAM way more critically than "another" striker, would just be epic levels of terrible transfer management, and its something im super confident we wouldnt be stupid enough to do these days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

At least he has got time to recover early in his career so hopefully he can get some game time either for us or someone on loan next season.

I read recently that Roberto Baggio completely knackered his right ACL when he was about 17 and had a half decent career after that.....

He said he played with a leg and a half after that though.

Edited by The Fun Factory

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Yep and Wesley's was far worse. Every ligament in his knee rather than just the ACL. He nearly lost his leg. 

23 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i get you and others wanting Tammy, however it would be a brainless move currently, i also get that you wont see my point below as you and Nick are desperation levels of desperate to get Tammy regardless of the logic of it.

If we had a really strong 11 and had 100m+ to develop the squad i might agree with u (although tbh i still wouldnt - as in that scenario i would buy Tammy anyway).

However, right now, we have a 30m+ striker (Watkins), and a 20m+ striker (Wesley) available for one striker position (this isnt inc. Davis or any youth players who might be able to help as needed).

To spend 40m on Tammy when we really need a CD, a DM and possibly a CAM way more critically than "another" striker, would just be epic levels of terrible transfer management, and its something im super confident we wouldnt be stupid enough to do these days.

We just disagree on priorities that’s all.  We arent desperate as you are saying, we have many logical reasons, it’s just you and some others disagree.  I could go through some of your points but we’ve been over them in the other thread.

As for you last paragraph, that’s just your opinion again.

I’ve always been a massive fan of Wes and defended him on this site when he was getting slaughtered before he got injured.  I worry about him getting back now both mentally and physically.  Physical appearance he looks immense in the photos but body functionally, movement and especially mentally is now the big question.  Also loads of people didn’t think he was good enough before he was injured and now we are at a level higher in that we aren’t fighting relegation we want to try and get a European place, our expectations are higher.

I’m just concerned that we have all this creative talent and it mostly hinges on one player to take advantage and score those goals in Ollie.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We just disagree on priorities that’s all.  We arent desperate as you are saying, we have many logical reasons, it’s just you and some others disagree.  I could go through some of your points but we’ve been over them in the other thread.

As for you last paragraph, that’s just your opinion again.

I’ve always been a massive fan of Wes and defended him on this site when he was getting slaughtered before he got injured.  I worry about him getting back now both mentally and physically.  Physical appearance he looks immense in the photos but body functionally, movement and especially mentally is now the big question.  Also loads of people didn’t think he was good enough before he was injured and now we are at a level higher in that we aren’t fighting relegation we want to try and get a European place, our expectations are higher.

I’m just concerned that we have all this creative talent and it mostly hinges on one player to take advantage and score those goals in Ollie.

We don't know if Wes is good enough or not, didn't see a big enough sample size.... I'm a fan, so I look forward to him getting a chance to prove himself...

We just aren't going to spoof 40+ mill on a striker that is no better than our best striker, not when there are other positions to prioritise.

11 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

We don't know if Wes is good enough or not, didn't see a big enough sample size.... I'm a fan, so I look forward to him getting a chance to prove himself...

We just aren't going to spoof 40+ mill on a striker that is no better than our best striker, not when there are other positions to prioritise.

1) we don’t it’ll be 40m+, we’ve only used the original article of 40m.  It’s more likely it would be lower because we’ve had articles say 38m euros which is 33m gbp. 

2) No better than our best striker? You mean, Ollie, one of the best young strikers in the PL whose just received international recognition.  Given our level we wouldn’t attract anybody better than Ollie.  

3) Tammy is very similar quality to Ollie but for very different reasons. Already discussed on Tammy thread, not for here.

4) For me, after CAM, this is the priority position to buy for.  Some people agree, some don’t, which has been discussed many times.

5) All depends how Wes is, as you’ve said we don’t have enough sample size to judge.  

26 minutes ago, nick76 said:

1) we don’t it’ll be 40m+, we’ve only used the original article of 40m.  It’s more likely it would be lower because we’ve had articles say 38m euros which is 33m gbp. 

2) No better than our best striker? You mean, Ollie, one of the best young strikers in the PL whose just received international recognition.  Given our level we wouldn’t attract anybody better than Ollie.  

3) Tammy is very similar quality to Ollie but for very different reasons. Already discussed on Tammy thread, not for here.

4) For me, after CAM, this is the priority position to buy for.  Some people agree, some don’t, which has been discussed many times.

5) All depends how Wes is, as you’ve said we don’t have enough sample size to judge.  

2) I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but my reference was that Tammy isn't better than Ollie so why are we spending so much on him. Even at 33mill I'm not buying him. If we need competition for Ollie it will come cheaper than 30+ mill.

For me Wes is that backup, until it's proven otherwise.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

The national day of mourning, candlelight vigils and song by Elton John helped promote the vvd challenge

Â