Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

56 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I actually expect him to be better than he was last season. 

Last season he was under a lot of pressure, a record signing and our main striker with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Now he's coming back into a much better team and competing to be the main striker; cameo appearances will benefit him to begin.

If he can perform as well as he did against Burnley on New Years Day then he will be perfect for us, until his injury that day he was unplayable.

He's coming off an ACL injury that will put him out on the shelf for at least a year. I don't know how anyone is expecting him to be better when coming back. I'm not saying he couldn't be better, but the odds are against it.

And another thing. Unplayable? He was good, but far from unplayable in that match. And I feel like people are concentrating on this one performance as if he's going to just come back and just continue where he left off in this game. He's had good performances before this match, and he went straight back to being shit for the next couple of games after. There's no reason to think that the Burnley match was somehow the moment where everything was suddenly going to change for him when we already went through similar scenarios after the Everton and Norwich matches.

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Whilst I agree with you, I think there are sometimes posts that go beyond plain criticism, (not yours). I accept that it’s often difficult to judge what people are saying and their feelings behind the words when you’re not actually talking to them face to face or even on the phone. However some of the posts I’ve read are hard to interpret in anyway other than down right abuse. 

On a more positive note the negative criticism that is quite common on VT especially after a poor result is rarely transmitted at VP. Fans at games take a lot more to turn them than on here, which often only needs us to concede a throw in if we aren’t 3-0 up with 5 minutes to go. 

As a collective yes - the crowd very rarely vocally turn on a player or a manager 

But as individuals, you get the same groans at the ground - as you do individuals airing there gripes on here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Any update on Big Wes? It's coming up for a year since he got injured. I didn't think he would be out for this long.

If he gets on the pitch before late Feb/early March it will be a surprise to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIqzGlCAbg5/?igshid=198s0lb8ckd6g

This was 5 days ago for those not on Instagram. ( Not sure why Instagram isn't working on the forum atm) 

Movement looks better than the last video. Obviously a little hesitant but he looked hesitant before the injury. Might have something to do with the different lengths between his legs.

Memphis depay has had an ACL injury and he's come back but seems to have had some niggles.

Edited by Sulberto21

17 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

If you are writing off a player after half a season, in the preseason or God forbid before he even signs then it's an agenda

You can tell who the whipping boys are on VT at any given time. I'm not against criticism by any means but for some on here make it their life's mission.

(Also, this is just a general rant by no means am I directing this at you specifically.)

slightly going off topic, but i actually think for some they just hate eating that humble pie if they're wrong. they set their stall out so strongly, as you said sometimes before they even sign for us (i.e. Bertrand) that they then refuse to judge performances impartially.

i distinctly remember saying how there is zero chance of the buy back being initiated for luiz and how i never wanted to see him in a villa shirt again. happy to say i was wrong. i've said similar about wes...i hope i'm wrong there too

maybe i'm just in such a buoyant mood about this season, but i actually cant wait to see wes back. and i never thought i'd say that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

He's coming off an ACL injury that will put him out on the shelf for at least a year. I don't know how anyone is expecting him to be better when coming back. I'm not saying he couldn't be better, but the odds are against it.

And another thing. Unplayable? He was good, but far from unplayable in that match. And I feel like people are concentrating on this one performance as if he's going to just come back and just continue where he left off in this game. He's had good performances before this match, and he went straight back to being shit for the next couple of games after. There's no reason to think that the Burnley match was somehow the moment where everything was suddenly going to change for him when we already went through similar scenarios after the Everton and Norwich matches.

I didn't say he would come back flying. I said to begin with cameo appearances will help him. I would expect him to be better than last season once he is back fully fit and integrated in the team.

He was unplayable that day. He was superb. People are concentrating on that performance because he was improving. Douglas Luiz was a similar player to him last season, underperforming in a poor side after making a move to Villa at a young age. I don't think many people are complaining now.

This writing players off attitude from our fans is actually a disease in our fanbase. It's noticeable on social media and in the stands at times. Players need to time to adapt and deserve the support of the supporters in order to build their confidence.

• Like 2

He showed flashes of promise before the injury but as I have said before I don't really think he fits Smith's system. I will be delighted when he gets back as I don't wish a injury on any player and will improve our options up front by 50%. However long term I am not super confident he will be with us.

On 16/12/2020 at 20:23, hippo said:

As a collective yes - the crowd very rarely vocally turn on a player or a manager 

But as individuals, you get the same groans at the ground - as you do individuals airing there gripes on here.

Yes you’re probably right. VT and VP probably have a reasonably similar cross section of our fans and probably society in general. I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing?!

1 minute ago, DaveAV1 said:

Yes you’re probably right. VT and VP probably have a reasonably similar cross section of our fans and probably society in general. I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing?!

Cheers ....My point was that at a match you don't hear every groan. On a forum those groans equate to posts.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tomav84 said:

slightly going off topic, but i actually think for some they just hate eating that humble pie if they're wrong. they set their stall out so strongly, as you said sometimes before they even sign for us (i.e. Bertrand) that they then refuse to judge performances impartially.

i distinctly remember saying how there is zero chance of the buy back being initiated for luiz and how i never wanted to see him in a villa shirt again. happy to say i was wrong. i've said similar about wes...i hope i'm wrong there too

maybe i'm just in such a buoyant mood about this season, but i actually cant wait to see wes back. and i never thought i'd say that.

Maybe - but in this case, a player who was yet to get to grips with the PL - now has a career threatening injury, and maybe close on 18 months of the game, with a £33m striker, known to the current manager signed in his place. Reasonable assumption that he is up against it to get regular starts for us anytime soon.

On 18/12/2020 at 08:50, hippo said:

Maybe - but in this case, a player who was yet to get to grips with the PL - now has a career threatening injury, and maybe close on 18 months of the game, with a £33m striker, known to the current manager signed in his place. Reasonable assumption that he is up against it to get regular starts for us anytime soon.

Yes. But he came in, didn't start brilliantly, but did OK - and was then in a relegation battle in a club struggling to score. In a new country, with a different language. That sort of pressure can really **** with someone's head.

We are a different club today; he should be more settled, and it's noticeable that players have been keen to get him in the dressing room pictures.
The injury will take time to fully recover, but as an option off the bench, and hopefully a handful of goals to boost his confidence before the end of the season, he can be much more relaxed, which is often when players play at their best. 

On 17/12/2020 at 02:59, wilko154 said:

I actually expect him to be better than he was last season. 

Last season he was under a lot of pressure, a record signing and our main striker with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Now he's coming back into a much better team and competing to be the main striker; cameo appearances will benefit him to begin.

If he can perform as well as he did against Burnley on New Years Day then he will be perfect for us, until his injury that day he was unplayable.

Unplayable? Really? You must watch different games to me at no point do I feel Wes has been unplayable ever.

• Like 1

Â