Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think we are going to take a loss on him in any case. The closer he gets to the end of his contract the bigger that loss will be. 

When i look at Haller i think him and Wesley are very similar players.

I think both clubs will do well to get 10 mill for them.

Watkins is a far better striker and has no past injury record. It's inevitable that Wesley will leave in the near future, just like Heaton.

I understand some folks really like him but you have to be realistic about things.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

When i look at Haller i think him and Wesley are very similar players.

I think both clubs will do well to get 10 mill for them.

Watkins is a far better striker and has no past injury record. It's inevitable that Wesley will leave in the near future, just like Heaton.

I understand some folks really like him but you have to be realistic about things.

Why do we need to sell him in the near future? I’d rather keep Wesley as decent back up than sell him for a big loss. We need a squad. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Why do we need to sell him in the near future? I’d rather keep Wesley as decent back up than sell him for a big loss. We need a squad. 

Because he will probably ask his agent to get him a move. Sure he we can hold him to contract ...until the contract expires and he walks away for nothing !

17 minutes ago, hippo said:

Because he will probably ask his agent to get him a move. Sure he we can hold him to contract ...until the contract expires and he walks away for nothing !

He’s 1 year into a 5 year contract. I doubt we’d sell him at a big loss in the near future as it would be recorded as a loss under FFP and limit our future spending, so expect him to stay unless a decent offer comes in (also unlikely without games to prove his worth). 

1 minute ago, mikeyjavfc said:

He’s 1 year into a 5 year contract. I doubt we’d sell him at a big loss in the near future as it would be recorded as a loss under FFP and limit our future spending, so expect him to stay unless a decent offer comes in (also unlikely without games to prove his worth). 

Depends what you mean by big loss and decent offer. £10m for a guy who hasn't played in 18months and has never scored goals in any great numbers -I think we'd listen. Difficult to see such an offer forthcoming though.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Depends what you mean by big loss and decent offer. £10m for a guy who hasn't played in 18months and has never scored goals in any great numbers -I think we'd listen. Difficult to see such an offer forthcoming though.

Yeah I think a loan is more likely if he is to be left out as it won’t count against us for FFP like a loss on sale price.

20 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I can't remember a single thing he did well. I do however remember being very, very frustrated every time he touched the ball. It's typical villatalk, he hasn't featured for a while, so everyone's forgot how shit he actually was. People refrain from calling it like it was/is, instead we talk about "his potential" and whatnot. 

Don't get me wrong, I sincerely hope he lights the world on fire, but let's be serious, it's highly unlikely. 

Come on, he didn't shine but had some decent spells during a period where most of the team were abysmal including Doug! Just think he should be given a chance to prove himself if possible.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I can't remember a single thing he did well. I do however remember being very, very frustrated every time he touched the ball. It's typical villatalk, he hasn't featured for a while, so everyone's forgot how shit he actually was. People refrain from calling it like it was/is, instead we talk about "his potential" and whatnot. 

Don't get me wrong, I sincerely hope he lights the world on fire, but let's be serious, it's highly unlikely. 

Although I agree that he was quite frustrating to watch most of the time, he did have 3 or 4 properly decent performances out of his 20 odd appearances from what I can remember. Not what you want from a record signing but enough glimpses of potential to retain hope that he'll come good for me.

55 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Spot on. Except I thought his passing was good, so that's one thing I guess. But you nailed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We wasn't the team we are now, when Wesley struggled with us......I would like to see him feature in the present Villa Team that has more about itself.

The recovery from such a bad injury, will play a big part, but we have little to lose, than let him rehabilitate and see where we go from there.

I don't know man.

Haller looked bad last season and still look bad this season.

Can't polish a turd I'm afraid.

Miracles can happen. Luiz was utter muck for 2 /3 rds the season, comes back after lockdown the player we hoped we had.

Its the injury I'm concerned about, it looked a career ending challenge at the time in slow mo and I would be surprised and indeed happy if he does come back from it. 

I sense we will be in for a veteran decent quality striker come January and best case for wes is rehabilitation for the rest of the season.

Worst case is an insurance claim for both villa and wes.

10 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Miracles can happen. Luiz was utter muck for 2 /3 rds the season, comes back after lockdown the player we hoped we had.

He wasn't though, in my opinion. Far from it. He was struggling tactically, but I was under the assumption he just needed time. 

Wesley I am less sure about. But he showed flashes, when his first touch was on he was a handful. He lacked service as we know, so hard to judge him on the goal tally. For want of a less lazy comparison when he clicked he had a smidge of the Rondon's about him. Which would be a very useful player to have indeed.  

Not a fan of writing a player off after 20 games, unless they're so obviously useless that they force your hand, which Wesley isn't. And I have idea how he is going to come back from the injury, so any predictions at this stage are pointless. 

6 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He wasn't though, in my opinion. Far from it. He was struggling tactically, but I was under the assumption he just needed time. 

Wesley I am less sure about. But he showed flashes, when his first touch was on he was a handful. He lacked service as we know, so hard to judge him on the goal tally. For want of a less lazy comparison when he clicked he had a smidge of the Rondon's about him. Which would be a very useful player to have indeed.  

Not a fan of writing a player off after 20 games, unless they're so obviously useless that they force your hand, which Wesley isn't. And I have idea how he is going to come back from the injury, so any predictions at this stage are pointless. 

I could always see Luiz was a fantastic talent. I never saw the same thing with Wesley

The time out may help Wesley in another way.  He will now have over a year training in an Premier League Environment not Belgium (is it Juniper) League.  Time away from the sniping to build up the strength and develop the skills he needs.

Also as said last season we were a different team and sat back a lot (something one of the players mentioned recently in an interview), perhaps being more attack minded Wesley may come good.

Im hoping for a physical presence from Wesley that can dovetail with Watkins.  I like Watkins but he seems a bit lightweight at times.  Wes sometimes battered defences last season but as we know didnt have his shooting boots on.  Maybe together than become the perfect partnership.

Or maybe Im too old and living in the past where having a Big man was always partnered with a smaller/more mobile forward.

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What ? - a player who has never anywhere scored goals in any great numbers - by the time he gets on the pitch it will probably be an 18 month hiatus from competitive football, a £33m player signed in his position - and you think predicting how this will pan out is pointless ?

Nothing against Wesley but he has major major obstacles to make it here now.

15 hours ago, vreitti said:

I thought he had some decent games to be honest, and was certainly improving at the point he got injured; which is unfortunate for everyone involved.

The more typical VillaTalk approach is to write off a player as "shit" after a handful of games - kudos.

Â