Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

What ? - a player who has never anywhere scored goals in any great numbers - by the time he gets on the pitch it will probably be an 18 month hiatus from competitive football, a £33m player signed in his position - and you think predicting how this will pan out is pointless ?

Nothing against Wesley but he has major major obstacles to make it here now.

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, vreitti said:

I can't remember a single thing he did well.

These are the hyperbole type comments which get me and almost nullify any good point a poster may have.

Its only a Google or youtube  highlights away.

Did you watch the game he was actually injured in, Everton etc or are the games were he actually did things well invalid?

Its the same for people who have just made up their mind that they dont like Davis.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

These are the hyperbole type comments which get me and almost nullify any good point a poster may have.

Did you watch the game he was actually injured in, Everton etc or are the games were he actually did things well invalid?

Its the same for people who have just made up their mind that they dont like Davis.

Absolutely. But you only have to look at certain posters previous comments for insight. "Release the shackles" springs to mind when someone referring to Hourihane's lack of game time 🤣

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I don't know man.

Haller looked bad last season and still look bad this season.

Can't polish a turd I'm afraid.

but Wesley is not Haller.

13 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

How can you judge on last year's performance settling in a new league, little or no support and still bagged a few let's be honest this is a better side now.Crazy to sell him at his age he gives us another dimension.

We need to see how he responds to his injury and then see if he offers us more in a better Villa team.

I'm sure the right decisions on him will be made at the appropriate time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm just calling it like I see it, sorry if that doesn't go down with you. It's okay to disagree. I watched all the games, thought he was terrible. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NIVillan said:

The time out may help Wesley in another way.  He will now have over a year training in an Premier League Environment not Belgium (is it Juniper) League.  Time away from the sniping to build up the strength and develop the skills he needs.

Also as said last season we were a different team and sat back a lot (something one of the players mentioned recently in an interview), perhaps being more attack minded Wesley may come good.

Im hoping for a physical presence from Wesley that can dovetail with Watkins.  I like Watkins but he seems a bit lightweight at times.  Wes sometimes battered defences last season but as we know didnt have his shooting boots on.  Maybe together than become the perfect partnership.

Or maybe Im too old and living in the past where having a Big man was always partnered with a smaller/more mobile forward.

That's the berries you're thinking of.

I think it's actually jupiler.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I'm just calling it like I see it, sorry if that doesn't go down with you. It's okay to disagree. I watched all the games, thought he was terrible. 

He scored a few tap in goals. Goal against Everton was probably the best. It was a well timed run and finish, superb pass by Jota.

But the good bit was only 3-4 games. He was genuinely woeful for 17 games

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2
  • Shocked 2

Wesley played in a team that was beyond shocking and barely stayed up. Our issue was getting the ball to him in the box, it's hard to judge him from last season.

When he's back and in the team with Grealish/Barkeley/Watkins beside him we can start to judge, he will certainly offer us a different option to what we have. He still scored 4 goals in 8 games at the start didn't he? You think he was bad go look at Samatta and Davis, they could barely get a touch of the ball most games.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Our issue was getting the ball to him in the box, it's hard to judge him from last season.

He didn't exactly help himself by dilly dallying in midfield and not being in the box when we were in positions to cross. He was also terrible at heading.

Wesley wants to be a part of the build up play from midfield. That's one of his first instincts. To drop deep and link up the play.

That's the problem with Wes. He is not a 9.

Edited by villalad21

All about the injury for me. If he'd only been out six months and back around September he'd have months to work himself back and be ready to go about now.

This injury could well take 14 months to get over and then he will then have a few months needed to get his intensity back out on the pitch, that's a long time to be away from top level football and if McGinn can take months to get his sharpness back after just a three month layoff then I'm not optimistic.

And I'll yet again mention the Kozak example, 4 goals in 15 prem games so pretty much same ratio as Wes and he had likes of Tonev and Bennett supposed to set him up so pretty much on a par quality wise to last season's effort. Guy was completely done when he returned eventually in 15/16.

Kozak was actually only 24 when we signed him so I think him and Wes are very comparable signings which is why I mention him so often in relation to this thread.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He didn't exactly help himself by dilly dallying in midfield and not being in the box when we were in positions to cross. He was also terrible at heading.

Wesley wants to be a part of the build up play from midfield. That's one of his first instincts. To drop deep and link up the play.

That's the problem with Wes. He is not a 9.

To be fair, in a better team, we've seen Ollie dropping quite a lot to the deep left wing to get involved with the game when, I assume, he hasnt been involved in the game much and then he's not in the box when we advance to the box. 

Last season at the beginning was a lot worse when we were on the back foot a lot, so I wouldnt hold this against Wes so much. 

If you have issues with Wes' other attributes I understand but getting involved and dropping deep for a striker, whether Ollie or Wes, is not a bad thing when they arent seeing much of the ball upfront in a game.  I'd rather that than just sitting up front doing nothing which Wes wouldve got slaughtered for if he had done that instead. 

I mean, last season, even Jack dropped too deep when we were struggling which meant we lost his effectiveness around the box which we all mostly whinged about and hence why he moved from midfield to the left forward position.  When Wes is fit, It'll be interesting to see if he does take higher position. 

Anyway I feel it's hard to criticise a striker for dropping deep when he isnt getting much upfront and he drops back to help out.  It doesnt mean he's not a No.9, that may be the case and I think Wes might be a great No.10 but basing it on last season is a bit tough.

• Like 3

There's certainly a place for a targetman striker in this team even if would be just more of a plan B option.

I certainly wouldn't have an issue if we're just playing out the season with 3-4 games left giving Wes some starts (surely will be back by April) and having Watkins wider and see how that looks given Ollie likes to drift wide frequently in games or have it as option in second half of games we're drawing.

I found it incredibly weird fans criticised the club for having him work on resistance belts and finishing would be better.

Not that his finishing was poor, it was probably one of his better attributes, but more cause I found his absolute biggest weakness to be lack of urgency, acceleration and a quick step, along with general directness.

I know the resistance training is more about building his knee back up, but it can't hurt the previously mentioned stuff either.

Hopefully he's back playing some training matches in January.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fill ya boots pal - quite a few posters speculatiing on how Wesley will fair post Injury  (given this this is the Wesley thread seems perfectly reasonable to me)

Sure, I'm definitely not telling anyone else they shouldn't be making predictions. Each to their own. But without knowing what kind of player he will be coming back as post-injury, and what situation the squad will be in at that stage, I find it impossible to predict with any kind of certainty whether he has a future here. For me, it would be a prediction for the sake of predicting rather than something grounded in knowledge.

I think there's some talent there, a different kind of talent to that provided by Watkins. So I hope he does come back close to his best, whether that may be in the long term. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I found it incredibly weird fans criticised the club for having him work on resistance belts and finishing would be better.

Not that his finishing was poor, it was probably one of his better attributes, but more cause I found his absolute biggest weakness to be lack of urgency, acceleration and a quick step, along with general directness.

I know the resistance training is more about building his knee back up, but it can't hurt the previously mentioned stuff either.

Hopefully he's back playing some training matches in January.

Is he fit enough to kick a ball yet ? - if not than he has to continue on resistance training.

When fully fit - he can hone his skills - but not while he is still rehabing his knee 

• Like 2

Â