Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Just now, TrentVilla said:

No, he is still a fair way away from that. He is still doing one on one rehab work, still some way to go before full training.

I don’t think he will be available until for quite some time yet.

Thought that might be the case. 

So glad we're in a position now where we don't feel we have to rush him back. 

Watkins is crucial in us being able to press from the front and a vital part of our success this season.

The people shouting for Watkins out wide are wasting their breath. Clear and simple ain't happening.

If anything Wesley will replace Davis as an impact player off the bench.

• Like 3

Just now, villalad21 said:

Watkins is crucial in us being able to press from the front and a vital part of our success this season.

The people shouting for Watkins out wide are wasting their breath. Clear and simple ain't happening.

Yep, Watkins energy, movement and pressing up top is key to everything we do as a team, it's even a big factor in the clean sheets, shame people won't look past the goals stats on his Wikipedia page 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

Yep, Watkins energy, movement and pressing up top is key to everything we do as a team, it's even a big factor in the clean sheets, shame people won't look past the goals stats on his Wikipedia page 

Who's doing that, sorry?

Haven't noticed people laying into him? 

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

9 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Who's doing that, sorry?

Haven't noticed people laying into him? 

I haven't noticed it either. I think people are looking forward to Wesley coming back to provide competition for places and add a bit of squad depth especially if Watkins is out.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

even Smith has highlighted that Watkins allows us to defend 15 yard further up the pitch. I just dont see him pushing Watkins wide. Wesley will offer some impact and potentially a different system for certain games

2 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

even Smith has highlighted that Watkins allows us to defend 15 yard further up the pitch. I just dont see him pushing Watkins wide. Wesley will offer some impact and potentially a different system for certain games

i think we get hung up on this "wide" and "central striker" thing.

If our front 3 play fairly narrow like they are doing, Watkins could easily play as a left or right inside forward if required, not saying he will or should, but he could, Wesley will just offer squad depth, which is a good thing.

Lets not forget at Liverpool, Salah plays right inside forward, Mane plays left inside forward, both their highest goalscorers, technically Firminho plays the CF role and doest score half as much.

tbh, with a modern front 3, you want a front 3 who are all mobile, active, who can press and harry, players who can easily move and interchange, who can play as a a "CF" or an "inside forward", i think Wesley returning just gives us options which is a good thing.

We need to get past playing as an "inside forward" a "demotion" from CF for example, a front 3 of Grealish, Watkins, Traore, or Grealish, Welsey, Watkins, or even Grealish, Wesley, Traore for example, or any other combination is a benefit to our flexibility and squad options.

Having Grealish, Watkins, Traore, Wesley, Ghazi & Trez (and Barkley depending on how we set up) to choose from can only be a good thing for us.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

If our front 3 play fairly narrow like they are doing, Watkins could easily play as a left or right inside forward if required, not saying he will or should, but he could, Wesley will just offer squad depth, which is a good thing.

Lets not forget at Liverpool, Salah plays right inside forward, Mane plays left inside forward, both their highest goalscorers, technically Firminho plays the CF role and doest score half as much.

tbh, with a modern front 3, you want a front 3 who are all mobile, active, who can press and harry, players who can easily move and interchange, who can play as a a "CF" or an "inside forward", i think Wesley returning just gives us options which is a good thing.

We need to get past playing as an "inside forward" a "demotion" from CF for example, a front 3 of Grealish, Watkins, Traore, or Grealish, Welsey, Watkins, or even Grealish, Wesley, Traore for example, or any other combination is a benefit to our flexibility and squad options.

Having Grealish, Watkins, Traore, Wesley, Ghazi & Trez (and Barkley depending on how we set up) to choose from can only be a good thing for us.

You are right, to be fair we have played a few different systems with our front 3 this season. At times weve seen Barkley higher and the wide 2 pulled back. The key as you highlight is flexibiity. At this moment though ive only really seen Watkins as effective through the middle.

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Excellent post. 3 of our players' best position is inside forward. Grealish, AEG and Traore.

Still not sure when he will return, but I hope it's not rushed. I think Wesley plays well with the ball into his feet, and would benefit with Ollie playing off him, running out wide into space, allowing him to find pockets in the final third, or getting on the end of some crosses from Cash or Targett.

Edited by The_Steve

On 31/12/2020 at 12:26, Sulberto21 said:

Whoa whoa my ex coach thought I was unplayable on many occasions. He used to reward me with the number 12 shirt. 

Had you come from the Man United you'd have become a referee then! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Watching the training videos, he just doesn't look close at all to me. Pure speculation from a bloke with no experience but his running style looks severely impacted, will he ever make it back again?

Expect him back no later than the spring. His knee got seriously **** up.

How long would full fitness take to come back once a player is back in full training? 

Get the feeling we won’t be seeing Wesley this season, hope I’m wrong as I’d love to see how he would perform in this current team. 

Â