Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

15 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yep - that's sadly where its going. You never know there could be a twist of fate - but everything is against that IMO.

I know it’s your opinion but is that based on that you think Wes isn’t very good to start with?  Otherwise I’m not sure how you can come to that conclusion re the above post.  

If he doesn’t recover from the injury fair enough but that from training doesn’t seem to be the case so far.  

The only reason then, I assume, is that you don’t think he was good enough in the first place which is difficult given he’d only just started his career at Villa.

35 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yep - that's sadly where its going. You never know there could be a twist of fate - but everything is against that IMO.

I think Watkins is set in stone as our number 9 and he has no past injury record.

I think there is no way in for Wesley.

Can he play in the Barkley role then maybe. But Barkley is just better than him

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I know it’s your opinion but is that based on that you think Wes isn’t very good to start with?  Otherwise I’m not sure how you can come to that conclusion re the above post.  

If he doesn’t recover from the injury fair enough but that from training doesn’t seem to be the case so far.  

The only reason then, I assume, is that you don’t think he was good enough in the first place which is difficult given he’d only just started his career at Villa.

Bit of both really.

Assuming he only gets nominal game time this season - thats 18 months out of the game in one of the top leagues in the world, a league he was in the process of acclimatising to. In the interim we have signed a £33m guy in his place who at the moment is scoring goals.

That 18 Months will put his development so far back - as IMO to be a massive obstacle. I have also heard ITK - that as that type of injury goes it was one of the worst.

So yeah he has lot to do to make it here - whether I like him or not is neither here or there TBH.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Bit of both really.

Assuming he only gets nominal game time this season - thats 18 months out of the game in one of the top leagues in the world, a league he was in the process of acclimatising to. In the interim we have signed a £33m guy in his place who at the moment is scoring goals.

That 18 Months will put his development so far back - as IMO to be a massive obstacle. I have also heard ITK - that as that type of injury goes it was one of the worst.

So yeah he has lot to do to make it here - whether I like him or not is neither here or there TBH.

Thanks for the reply.

For me, I like Wes, I think he has something in the locker if given time re acclimatising.  I know this forum and Villa fans generally are 50/50 on him so interesting to understand others views.  I think, trying to stop my slight favouring towards him, it really depends on what we do re strikers. 

I'm not a fan of Davis and his lack of action even as a sub suggests he isnt going to carve out a Villa future long term.  In that case we really only have Watkins and Wes that you can define as central strikers (with the option of other who could play that position if needed like Traore). 

So if we go out buy a couple of strikers (depending who they were) then fair enough it would suggest Wes' Villa career would be limited, if not over.

If his injury a problem long term it will hinder his Villa career long term.

If a couple of youngsters really light up then his Villa career could be limited i.e. Louie Barry.

I think the Villa management will give him a chance and even if we do buy another striker then Wes will still be third choice striker at worse and I dont think Villa will be buying two top notch strikers in the next two windows so I think Wes will get his chance and then it's up to him, and dependent on his injury, to take that chance.   I really hope he does a Douglas Luiz and go from barely getting into the team to a regular (in whatever form that means) because he's earnt it.  That would be fantastic because then we would have great competition up front with Watkins being No.1 but Wes pushing him or in some cases playing with him.  It's also the development of the Villa squad, we have a great first XI but then it gets very weak the further into the squad we go.

I agree though my opinion is based on hopes rather than anything factual at the moment.

• Like 2

Watkins is not going to play 40 games consecutively without picking up a knock or 5 bookings, so I hope Wesley will get a chance later in the season. Lets not forget this guy was called up to the Brazil senior squad last season, so there is a good player there that I want to progress at villa.

• Like 1

Just now, mikeyjavfc said:

Watkins is not going to play 40 games consecutively without picking up a knock or 5 bookings, so I hope Wesley will get a chance later in the season. Lets not forget this guy was called up to the Brazil senior squad last season, so there is a good player there that I want to progress at villa.

Watkins played 46 games last season + cup games

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

As above Watkins has a pretty good injury record. Even if Watkins gets injured - and Wes gets 2 or 3 games - I don't see that changing much .

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Watkins played 46 games last season + cup games

so he's invincible to injuries. not to mention his forcefield for yellow and red cards too. might as well sell both wesley and davis then. we clearly don't need them.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

so he's invincible to injuries. not to mention his forcefield for yellow and red cards too. might as well sell both wesley and davis then. we clearly don't need them.

Well i just searched up his injury record and i can't find anything.

Also he's got 0 red and 0 yellow cards this season :D 

We won't be needing Wes or Keinan anytime soon

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Well i just searched up his injury record and i can't find anything.

Also he's got 0 red and 0 yellow cards this season :D 

We won't be needing Wes or Keinan anytime soon

See that's where you are wrong once again; many may have said we wouldn't have needed El Ghazi either and look what happens!

It's a squad game. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We'll stay up comfortably this summer. Will have 2 years of PL money in the  bank and another year to come. We'll drop another 30m+ on a striker.

Wes has missed the boat unfortunately.

"We'll drop another 30m+ on a striker." so we will go into another season with only 2 strikers (Watkins + "New Striker"), unlikely!!! 

Wes will be around for some time.

Edited by nick76

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

"We'll drop another 30m+ on a striker." so we will go into another season with only 2 strikers (Watkins + "New Striker"), unlikely!!! 

Wes will be around for some time.

A "Brazilian international" will not be sticking around to be 3rd fiddle in a team that will only ever play one up top.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

A "Brazilian international" will not be sticking around to be 3rd fiddle in a team that will only ever play one up top.

Yeah but unless we take a massive loss on the fee we paid he isn’t going anywhere.  Additionally, nobody is going to pay any reasonable fee either until he’s had some game time or at least he proven his injury isn’t a problem now or long term.  Hence why I think he’ll be around for at least the next 18 months.

I really hope that he recovers from the injury and can have a decent career for himself. Whether it's at Villa or not is a moot point for me. Instantly became a favourite of mine simply because he's a Brazilian and I haven't seen any represent us whilst I've been a fan. I think he was our first Brazilian right?

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Yeah but unless we take a massive loss on the fee we paid he isn’t going anywhere.  Additionally, nobody is going to pay any reasonable fee either until he’s had some game time or at least he proven his injury isn’t a problem now or long term.  Hence why I think he’ll be around for at least the next 18 months.

I think we are going to take a loss on him in any case. The closer he gets to the end of his contract the bigger that loss will be. 

Â