Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Unplayable may be a bit much. But if he could play like he did in those three games mentioned on a consistent basis, he would be very useful for this team/squad. 

Also, similarly to El Ghazi and Hause being poor a lot of last season, maybe Wesley would benefit from being part of a better more confident group of players.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Unplayable? Really? You must watch different games to me at no point do I feel Wes has been unplayable ever.

Jack Grealish aside Wesley was the best player on the pitch against Burnley on New Years Day last year.

My opinion of course, but he was also similarly good against Everton at home.

Every player needs a year to settle, improve their performances and get used to the PL. His first year was cut short, but I would imagine we will see the best of him at the start of next season.

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Jack Grealish aside Wesley was the best player on the pitch against Burnley on New Years Day last year.

Every player needs a year to settle, improve their performances and get used to the PL. His first year was cut short, but I would imagine we will see the best of him at the start of next season.

Just because someone was the best player on the pitch (in your opinion) doesn't make them unplayable!

Watkins scored a hat trick against the league champions but was far from unplayable.

On 24/12/2020 at 18:40, Pez1974 said:

Yes. But he came in, didn't start brilliantly, but did OK - and was then in a relegation battle in a club struggling to score. In a new country, with a different language. That sort of pressure can really **** with someone's head.

We are a different club today; he should be more settled, and it's noticeable that players have been keen to get him in the dressing room pictures.
The injury will take time to fully recover, but as an option off the bench, and hopefully a handful of goals to boost his confidence before the end of the season, he can be much more relaxed, which is often when players play at their best. 

I agree with all you have said about taking time to settle etc. Also yes should he get fit he will be an option off the bench. However the more this team evolves it just becomes so apparant he was a Pitarch signing DS would never go for a player like him, him and Watkins are so different Wesley just doesn't seem to fit.

I reckon a fit Wesley will not get ahead of Traore for a CF spot

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Agreed. 

Also consider the improvement across the board this season. Wesley would look like a completely different player in this team. 

3 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Just because someone was the best player on the pitch (in your opinion) doesn't make them unplayable!

Watkins scored a hat trick against the league champions but was far from unplayable.

The below describes Wesley on the day.

I'm not suggesting he is unplayable all of the time, far from it.

What does unplayable mean in football?

(ʌnpleɪəbəl ) adjective. In some sports, if you describe a player as unplayable, you mean that they are playing extremely well and are difficult to beat. If you describe a ball as unplayable, you mean that it is difficult to hit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I can't believe how long Wesley has had out of the game, due to that ugly Mee challenge. Hope he gets back to playing again soon for him and for us. He will offer us another option up front and it is such a pity that he has had such a long lay off, just as he was having an impact with us and shortly after he had played for Brazil. These months must have been so hard to take for the lad. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John said:

I can't believe how long Wesley has had out of the game, due to that ugly Mee challenge. Hope he gets back to playing again soon for him and for us. He will offer us another option up front and it is such a pity that he has had such a long lay off, just as he was having an impact with us and shortly after he had played for Brazil. These months must have been so hard to take for the lad. 

I think it's a very good time to come back for him - low-pressure because the team is performing well, plus we've upgraded and improved quite a lot since he's been out. It'll be nice to see him back and it'll be great to have him as an option again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

This interview really opened my eyes to all the things that a player from the other side of the world must go through when they "make it" in football. 

With all due respect to Brugge, this move was his moment, he came from nothing, his family must have been so proud of him and he must have been completely and utterly devastated to get that injury at a time when his team were struggling and hes the main man up top. 

And then to have your family over 6,000 miles away. Cannot wait for him to come back, i'll be chuffed for the bloke if he's a success at the Villa after all this shit. 

If he doesn't make it here it won't be down to a lack of fight and determination. 

FWIW I've always maintained this kid will be a big player for us. He's very very raw but then this season has shown we have a bloody good coaching team. My only worry is the injury itself, if he fully recovers he'll be great. 

Could be a good season for him to work back his confidence. Ollie will be first choice and Wes can pick up some minutes off the bench. Hopefully the atmosphere remains good in the dressing room and everything will, slowly, come good for him again. 

he will need some time to get back up to speed, but now he can be gently introduced back in, and tbh im not on the negative bandwagon with relation to Wesley, i think he will be like a new signing for us, i also think he will benefit from the improved team/squad, and less pressure being on his shoulders.

really looking forward to getting him back in the squad.

to be fair though, even if he returns in March (in theory), he prob wont be remotely up to speed until May (aka: end of the season), so really what he can do this season is just getting back up to speed, with a view to pushing on again next season as a core part of the team.

These interviewers ask some stupid questions don't they? 🤣

On a serious note, must be a serious mental battle aside from the physical.

As other have noted, might work out in his and our favour. Less pressure, better team, more time to settle etc.

That interview has opened my eyes on how tough it must be coming from the other side of the world. 

No family, no kids just the girlfriend unable to speak the language. Im currently trying to learn Spanish so I'm impressed with his English. 

This injury would of made his journey at Villa harder. I'm excited to see him come back. He'll offer something different to Watkins. Not sure if he'll recover fully, as players seem to lose that edge or half a yard after such a big injury.

The interview sounds like he is very close to full-fitness and almost ready to play some matches. 

Presumably a couple of matches at least in the Premier League 2 which was the same path as Heaton who is now on the bench?

Be interesting to see how he gets on and he will add something to the squad if he can stay fit and healthy.

I hope he's stronger from this injury both mentally and physically as on his day we know he has the potential to be a good player for us.

Â