Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I think we've missed his presence up front tbh, but I never thought he was as bad as some of the absolute hyperbolic reactions/comments on here.

Him and Samatta could be be an interesting pair together.

I think you are right, he gets slated on here for some reason. For the price we paid, which isn’t that much in today’s market, I think he’s done quite well and he will improve 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

I think we've missed his presence up front tbh, but I never thought he was as bad as some of the absolute hyperbolic reactions/comments on here.

Smith play with a striker and 2 inside forwards.

Wesley played like a false 9 in some ways did he not??

Could he now be utilized as a proper false 9 now we  have Samatta do you all reckon, he seemed to hold the ball up reasonably well, move from the front back into midfield  to support midfield a lot, right??

I thought he weaved in and out between midfield and opposition defence rather well and often came deep to support, I think it should be looked at. 

Sometimes we slated Wesley for him going down to much but you look at some of it and you can see it was deliberate to give us a breather, not all of it was needed but some of it I think helped us out.

Edited by Dave-R

14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

No problem was Wesley not being in the box when we put in crosses.

He was most of the time dilly dallying in midfield

Or helping build the play from deep himself. It needs the other attacking players to get beyond him at times and get into the box themselves. 

• Like 1

On 12/04/2020 at 19:05, VillanousOne said:

Oddly enough I think we have actually played worse without Wes than we have with him, especially since injury.

I don't think that is down to how good Wes is, although for some reason we seemed to function better with him as target man even if he didn't do the role very well most of the time.

I for one am not going to savage his signing as just like when we got relegated, Wes, Luiz, Nakamba and even a few others will get better with or without us. We just never seem to have the luxury of time when it comes to our signings, especially over seas players.

He was playing all the games over the xmas period when we were largely awful bar up at Bunrley (and that was more due to them barely pressing us in midfield and just hitting long).

I think Samatta is simply better, he knows when to lay it off, runs into box or holds back and generally has the air of a centre forward who knows how to play on his own upfront and hold the ball.

Wes still has much to learn in that regard.

Frustrating that Samatta has come in when we've been really bad away from home, he's only played twice at Villa Park so far and that was Leicester and Spurs.

On 12/04/2020 at 09:34, rodders0223 said:

I wouldn't be too confident leading a promotion push with Wes in charge. Regardless of the quality of opposition he would face he would still be the same Wesley. He is not a good player in any way  I would argue he is actually technically inferior and limited than Hogan but just with a bigger frame so causes a bit more of a nuisance.

Hogan couldn't produce Wesley's Everton performance on FIFA if he tried.

• Haha 1

On 13/04/2020 at 16:27, PieFacE said:

We've missed him as much as we miss a STD. Samatta has been twice the player.

59 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We've missed him as much as we miss a STD. Samatta has been twice the player.

He really hasn't. He's looked OK but he's hardly done anything that impressive and has looked on the most part as isolated as Wesley, partly because we're not a very good team. He looks as if he can header though.

7 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Samatta really hasn't. He's looked OK but he's hardly done anything that impressive.

Good lord.

It's a game of opinions for sure.

Samatta has been excellent.

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think Samatta and Wesley would work great together, Wesley likes to drop deep and this would give Samatta space in the box!

Wes drops deep because he needs space and time to control the ball, he's so easy to play against.

• Like 1

On 13/04/2020 at 03:06, Dave-R said:

I've always thought since Wesley got injured that our game has gotten worse. I mean while Wesley was playing we actually did struggle to feed the lad, however he did struggle at times as well. We did always look more did with Wesley, now whether that's just coincidence I don't know. We seemed to struggle a lot more ever since Wesley has been out a d while Wesley was on the pitch we at least had breaks from being totally manipulated and dominated.

I always thought that the problem was not Wesley, it was our Wingers, and do you know what, that problem didn't go away all season, even while Wesley was injured. Our Wingers have been the issue all season as has the midfield. The only one who had constantly been able to feed Wesley was Jack, so again that says that it had to of been our players being ineffective up front as they have been for large parts of the season.

We struggled and struggled all season to even supply men up front, we have been shut out of games constantly. We have been to light in midfield and teams know it, as others have suggested before teams like Liverpool can adopt Wingers because of the talent they have and they can make it work and manage to feed there strikers.

I don't see the problem as Wesley and he deserves a comeback, if we can buy  better Wingers, we should. Personally I'd rather we played our Wingers closer to the centre as they can always drift wide if need be. Have always thought that we were killing ourselves off to quickly being so wide and teams making us run more. Most of our balls crossed in from the flank of the opposition box just went no where, time after time we've seen crosses just hit the first man or go  right over and to not have a man attacking back post is criminal. We have messed up so much attacking it's been unreal and we need to get it right next time out on the field.

I think Wesley can make a good comeback and be as successful as what Samatta can, we do need to learn to service better but I do not think Ghazi and Trezeguet can do the job as first teamers., subs ok,  not first teamers.

I just hope Wesley has gotten rid of falling on the floor, he needs to be stronger on the ball and we need him upright in games. Before he got injured I think Wesley had some games where he actually enjoyed dominating players. He didn't half bully some players, even sent a few into the advertising boards, I want that Wesley back who wore defences out.

Good post Dave...covered many good points

Wingers and centre forwards need to be in sync with each other.....our wingers struggle to beat a man, they are not "will o the wisp" enough, like harvey barnes and don't have his pace.....our runs have to be halted for failed crosses and the centre forward becomes static,waiting, so easily closed down.

synchronised movement is key.

The back post tickles me, in as much as its a great opportunity to score......how many goals scored in the league, come from the back post? Loads( Burnley nearly all of them).....many full backs go in to dream mode and switch off....its a great opportunity to score.....but it requires reading of the game and timing and trusting a ball is actually coming in.....we should capalise more with this.

He needs a very quick player to play off him, so we have pace and physicality......our wingers don't have the pace or the inclination to come inside enough aggressively to cause havoc.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

BS clickbait story saying Trabzonspor are interested in him as a replacement for Sturridge ... Sorloth swop ?  🤔😂 Also like the sound of Abdülkadir Ömür as a replacement for Grealish - The Turkish Messi ... 

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

BS clickbait story saying Trabzonspor are interested in him as a replacement for Sturridge ... Sorloth swop ?  🤔😂 Also like the sound of Abdülkadir Ömür as a replacement for Grealish - The Turkish Messi ... 

Sorloth belongs to Palace still

Has never looked comfortable in the set up Smith has had us playing all season. Did we do any scouting on him, he is a deep lying forward. Might work if we go 4-4-2 with Samatta in the future. 

Still a bit early to judge him. I would give him another season, whenever that happens.

It was madness just pinning all of our hopes on him to lead the line until January. That was our biggest mistake in the summer.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Â