Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

42 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Fair enough, I think he’s a rough diamond in a new environment and i see him getting a lot better

He could over time develop into a decent plan B option off the bench. If he was fit though now and it was a case of him or Samatta for the one striking role I'd be amazed if anyone on this forum went for Wes. Even Dean Smith wouldn't.......I think.

30 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

So you have to like a player who plays for the football club, or else it's a disgrace?

What about Hogan, Mcormack and Gestede? You had the same line for them?

All I said was I cannot believe SOME of the comments that are being made after half a season. Never said anything about it being a disgrace to have a different view to me on Wesley. 

Not sure what those players have to do with Wesley but ... Gestede and to some degree Hogan were just not able to replicate their form which earned them a move here. Don’t care about why as it’s immaterial now. McCormack has personal issues and demons and hindsight is great isn’t it... 

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

What comments? That i don't think he is good enough at this level?

Why do you think this is about you? Did I quote you specifically ? Or do you feel like you have maybe been guilty of hyperbole and are acting defensively ? It was a general comment and if aimed specifically at you I would have quoted you .

Vardy had a pretty shitty first season in the Premier League, 5 goals in 30 games and I remember the uproar on here when we were linked with him to replace Benteke.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Vardy had a pretty shitty first season in the Premier League, 5 goals in 30 games and I remember the uproar on here when we were linked with him to replace Benteke.

It just goes to show that no-one can predict how a transfer will work out 

28 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

It just goes to show that no-one can predict how a transfer will work out 

Wesley has never been a prolific goalscorer. Was it 12 he scored in Belgium?

Edited by villalad21

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Wesley has never been a prolific goalscorer. Was it 12 he scored in Belgium?

He’s only 23 years old, he will get better with us as he gains more experience, 13 goals in his last season with Club Brugge in his last season according to Wikipedia 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

anyone know if he or Heaton will feature in the last matches?

Doesn't look like it , first the PL need to allow us to re-register them , then they need to be fully fit.From time frames given maybe going into August Wes might be fit but would have no match fitness .

I remember when Cristiano Ronaldo and Didier Drogba used to divide opinion on whether they were good enough to play at this level. A lot of people said Ronaldo had no end product (lol). Drogba didn't hit double figures in a league season until he was 24.

The fact is you just can't reliably predict how much a player will improve over the course of his career, nor when that improvement will happen. Some players get better year after year until they're 32+ (Milner). Some peak at 22 (Joe Cole). Some look crap until they're 26 and then suddenly become elite (Vardy).

I don't massively rate Wesley, but I've seen enough of an impact in a few games (Everton, Man Utd, Burnley) to suggest he's worth persisting with. I also think he has the right attitude.

He'll never be the most technically gifted player in the league, but he's very strong and causes defenders a lot of problems. When he learns how to channel that physicality effectively, he'll be a menace. And he is a tidy finisher.

I find it embarrassing when some lads who supposedly support Villa act like we're Man Utd and should just be shopping around for the best established talent worldwide. We have to develop talent, we have to take gambles, there's no alternative. Do I wish we'd signed a more experienced striker last summer? Yes 100%. Does that make Wesley a bad signing? No, there's still loads of time for him to improve.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Talent? He's almost in his mid twenties mate.

He's a month older than Keinen Davis - yet Davis is still seen by the club as one to be nurtured for the future and only getting limited action off the bench.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Based on performances this season, I'd say Davis is better than Wesley right now overall.

Wesley is the better finisher, but in terms of aerial ability, hold up play, pace, skill, passing, I think Davis is better.  Its an unkind comparison, but I see Davis as an Emile Heskey type.  Never scoring goals but a real nuisance. 

Until we actually play him in his correct position then its too early to call. It was obvious after about 2 games for Villa  that Wes is not a out and out striker, more of a deep forward and it is baffling that we had to wait until January to buy a goal poacher.   A signing or two must have fallen through in August. Wes and Samatta could work well but hasn't been seen yet.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Until we actually play him in his correct position then its too early to call. It was obvious after about 2 games for Villa  that Wes is not a out and out striker, more of a deep forward and it is baffling that we had to wait until January to buy a goal poacher.   A signing or two must have fallen through in August. Wes and Samatta could work well but hasn't been seen yet.

Dean's favored formation is 4-3-3 though

4 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Based on performances this season, I'd say Davis is better than Wesley right now overall.

Wesley is the better finisher, but in terms of aerial ability, hold up play, pace, skill, passing, I think Davis is better.  Its an unkind comparison, but I see Davis as an Emile Heskey type.  Never scoring goals but a real nuisance. 

I doubt we can say that about Davis, we havent seen enough about him.  I obviously dont think he's a goal scorer but while he has the other abilities you mention, to what level is still up for debate as he's only played 129 minutes in 8 PL appearances.  So then you have to compare Davis' appearances in the Championship to Wes' appearances in the PL.  Until we get some comparable data it would be hard to say that Davis is better than Wes at those attributes.  Maybe if we do get relegated, we'll see how Wes fairs in those departments in the Championship against lower level abilities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I doubt we can say that about Davis, we havent seen enough about him.  I obviously dont think he's a goal scorer but while he has the other abilities you mention, to what level is still up for debate as he's only played 129 minutes in 8 PL appearances.  So then you have to compare Davis' appearances in the Championship to Wes' appearances in the PL.  Until we get some comparable data it would be hard to say that Davis is better than Wes at those attributes.  Maybe if we do get relegated, we'll see how Wes fairs in those departments in the Championship against lower level abilities.

I understand your reservation, but i have seen enough in his 128 mins the the prem to convince me that he has better footballing attributes than Wesley, bar finishing, such is the stark contrast between the relative positivity of Davis' plan, and the relative poorness of Wesleys.

I am not saying either are pl quality, just that on evidence, Davis is the more complete player.

Â